× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4

ITEXO
Follower

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4

4 disks WD4000FYYZ.  Disk 3 failed in my ReadyNAS 21400.I replaced this with a new disk. Nothing happens, but there is an error "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4" and there are two volumes showing, one called data-0 with RAID5 and one called data with RAID unknown.

There is data on the disks which I need back, so is there any way of accessing this?

Thanks in advance.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4

@ITEXO

Welcome to the Community!

It is possible that you had multiple disk failure at the time you replaced the drive but also can be due to the array which got out of sync.

The best option right now would be to contact Support. You can do that by logging in to your portal at my.netgear.com and create case. If you don't have any contract (Support or Data recovery) you can purchase it as well from the portal. Experts will be able to assist you on getting your NAS data recovered.

another option is self-help. Users usually try to recover their data themselves using software like ReCLAIMe or r-linux.

IMO, it would be best to contact Support so they can determine the best approach.

HTH

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4

Was the replacement drive once in that or another ReadyNAS (even if just for testing)?  And did you replace the drive with power off?

If the answer to both is yes, then power down, remove the replacement drive, power up without that drive, then insert the replacement drive with power on.  You should then be able to format the replacement, and it will sync (assuming XRAID is enabled).

Alternately, you can power down, remove the replacment drive, zero the drive (remove all partitions) with a PC, then power on with the drive re-installed.  I prefer the first or, better yet, both (zero the drive and hot-insert it).  You stand less of a chance confusing the NAS OS and can see log entries for each step.

If the answers are no and yes (not from a NAS, but was inserted with power off), these steps may also work, though they are less likely to.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements