× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

plex freeze on 4k Video

shafy
Aspirant

plex freeze on 4k Video

Hello, 

I am having an issue with Plex Server on My Netgear, 

I have 4K DTS 5.1 HDR video.  (See full info  Below and Plex Logs attached )  When I play on My Sony 4 TV via Plex, it plays fine but every 30 seconds its frozen for 2-3 seconds and Plays. Again if i play the video from the start it will freeze tuck on the same place lets say 5mins and 11 seconds, it will be a freeze on the  5mins and 11seconds on the next play.  (only for 2-3 seconds 

Model: ReadySHARE Vault|Backup your files on your PC
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: plex freeze on 4k Video

Hi @shafy

Welcome to the Community!

What NAS model are you using fwith PMS? While using NAS for data storage and streaming most of them are still bound by compatibilty and limitations. 

NAS being used for storage will be great but you might be better of using a NUC or a high powered PC on a small form factor when streaming 4K videos, this will be able to provide you upgrades in case you need it for your streaming.

You may want to check this articles from PLEX regarding Limitations and Compatibility.

NAS Devices and Limitations

Plex NAS Compatibility

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 6
shafy
Aspirant

Model  Product: ReadyNASRNDP4000

it works perfectly with other 4k content.  (like a baby) but only some content (just  content i have ) all other 95% works ok . 

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@shafy wrote:

Model  Product: ReadyNASRNDP4000

What firmware are you running on the NAS, and what version of plex are you running?

@shafy wrote:

it works perfectly with other 4k content.  (like a baby) but only some content (just  content i have ) all other 95% works ok . 

It could be mis-encoded (exceeding the specs for Main 10 profile) or somewhat corrupted content (a few garbled bits in the content) -  especially if it is something downloaded.  You could try remuxing it with MKVToolnix.  Or perhaps try another player - looking for video artifacts around the freeze points.

Message 4 of 6
shafy
Aspirant

FW: 6.9.4 (hotfix 1) 

plex 6.12  (i downgraded to 6 .12  from the latest version, as someone was saying  it might fix the issue. ) 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

As you likely know, the ReadyNAS isn't capable of transcoding 4K content.  But it is more than fast enough to stream it w/o transcoding.  Still, you could try installing a plex server on a PC, and seeing if it can stream the content.  Also, if you have another 4K player, then you could try that too.

Enabling ReadyDLNA, and playing the file with that might also be worth trying - ruling out a bug in Plex.

File-specific specific issues are somehow tied to the content itself.  The puzzle is figuring out how.  In general the issues can be

1. the encoding (audio or video) uses a codec that the player can't handle, forcing plex to transcode
  2. part of the encoding exceeds the profile/level specifications, and the player can't handle it. 
  3. there are errors in the compressed bits or the (MKV) container that are disrupting the player's decoding.
  4. the encoding includes a bitrate spike, and your network can't handle it.  

With this file it isn't (1) since the player is managing to play some of it.  It could be any of the other three though (or just a bug in plex).

On (3), you could converting the content off-line with plex, and see if that sucessfully converts the entire file (and if the converted file plays with no video or audio artifacts).

On (4) - is the path between the NAS and the player using a wifi or powerline link?  Some Smart TVs use fast ethernet instead of gigabit, and that can also be a bottleneck for some 4K content.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements