× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot gain Admin Access NV+ (SMBv1 issue?)

Deeperdown
Tutor

Cannot gain Admin Access NV+ (SMBv1 issue?)

I have just had a new laptop (windows11) and noticed that i cannot access my old NV+ NAS. I type in the IP address in files and i get an error code 0x80004005. I can see it in Netgear ReadyNas RAIDar (4.3.8), but when I click "setup" I receive "

192.168.1.69 uses an unsupported protocol.ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH" as an error.

I believe it is related to Windows 11 as it no longer runs SMBv1??

Is there an idiots guide of how to work around this as I use the NAS as a back up.

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Deeperdown wrote:

I believe it is related to Windows 11 as it no longer runs SMBv1??

No.  It is because the browsers have deprecated TLS 1.0.

More info on what to do about it is here:

Basically gain access with IE mode in Edge, or download an older version of FireFox (94.0.2 works).

You can then modify a file in the NAS to allow you to access frontview with http (not https) if you like.  Instructions for that are in the linked thread.

FWIW, Windows 11 will run SMB 1/CIFS, but you do need to manually enable that in "turn windows features on or off".

Message 2 of 10
Deeperdown
Tutor

thanks for your prompt reply. I am not really very IT literate.

I have downloaded notepad++ but am a little lost on where i have to apply these changes. Is there an idiots guide?

i also notice the article states: "This change can coexist with a patch later on that installs TLS 1.2 (and of course it can be easily reversed)." Does this mean a patch will be issued in the future to correct this?

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Deeperdown wrote:

Does this mean a patch will be issued in the future to correct this?

Unfortunately that is very unlikely.  Netgear would have done it by now if they had wanted to.  I don't know of any non-Netgear folks who would still have development tools.

Message 4 of 10
Deeperdown
Tutor

OK thanks - is it possible to obtain an idiots guide of how to implement the code that was suggested?

Message 5 of 10
Deeperdown
Tutor

i have tried IE mode in Edge and Tried Firefox (the version suggested) and still no joy? can anyone offer any assistance please as this old NAS's are my back up and i need access. 

Many Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 10
Deeperdown
Tutor

OK, so i have managed to gain access to the admin Gui via firefox and all the setting show CIFS, AFP, FTP and HTTP as ticked/switched on.

What i cannot do is gain access through file explorer to add files within shares or interrogate the shares through file explorer. 

I can manage to get a log in screen to populate when in file explorer, but when i add the user name and password it says "windows cant find \\XXX.XXX.1.69\admin. check the spelling and try again! Im at a total loss with this now. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

You are probably now at the SMB1.0 problem.  Insure it's enabled in "Turn Windows features on and off".

Message 8 of 10
Deeperdown
Tutor

THANKS - How do i do this?

Message 9 of 10
Deeperdown
Tutor

Sorry i was being dumber than usual! they are are:

Deeperdown_0-1673282900223.png

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements