× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: List of Legacy Readynas devices

dscycler108
Aspirant

List of Legacy Readynas devices

I am trying to locate a list of old ReadyNas models. Years ago I had a 5-bay unit that has long been discarded. But I still have the 5 2-TB drives that were in the unit.

Does anyone have any idea what the model numbers of 5 -bay units were perhaps 8 to 10 years ago? Shot in the dark I know...

Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you...

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

I am not aware of the existance of a 5-bay model.  The original pre-Netgear NAS were the 4-bay desktop 600, X6, and NV and the rack-mount 1000s.  Then came Netgear with the 4-bay NV+, NVX, and 1100, 2-bay Duo, and 6-bay Pro (Business Edition and Pioneer versions) -- though I think those were in development by Infrant before the Netgear acquisition.  From there, everything is all 2, 4, 6 or 8 bays for desktops and 4, 12, or 60 for rack mount.  The EDA500 expansion chassis was 5-bay, but it had to be attached to a base NAS and that was <8 years ago that it was introduced.

Netgear did have a NAS before they acquired Infrant, which was not a ReadyNAS, but I don't think that was 5-bay, either.  I think it was just 2-bay.  And that would have been >10 years ago.  They also had the 2-bay Stora, which was a complete disaster and abandoned leaving the owners no way to use their device because it had to have a link with the Netgear server that was taken down.

Maybe you had a 6-bay NAS and only had 5 drives installed?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dscycler108,

Welcome to the Community!

As far as I remember we do not have 5-bay ReadyNAS for the legacy models. What we do have are the 6-bay ones. The legacy 6-bay models that I remember are ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer, Pro Business, Pro 6, Utlra 6 and Ultra 6 plus.

We do have 5-bay expansion chassis before which is called the EDA500.

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I am not aware of the existance of a 5-bay model.  The original pre-Netgear NAS were the 4-bay desktop 600, X6, and NV and the rack-mount 1000s.  Then came Netgear with the 4-bay NV+, NVX, and 1100, 2-bay Duo, and 6-bay Pro (Business Edition and Pioneer versions) -- though I think those were in development by Infrant before the Netgear acquisition.  From there, everything is all 2, 4, 6 or 8 bays for desktops and 4, 12, or 60 for rack mount.  The EDA500 expansion chassis was 5-bay, but it had to be attached to a base NAS and that was <8 years ago that it was introduced.

Netgear did have a NAS before they acquired Infrant, which was not a ReadyNAS, but I don't think that was 5-bay, either.  I think it was just 2-bay.  And that would have been >10 years ago.  They also had the 2-bay Stora, which was a complete disaster and abandoned leaving the owners no way to use their device because it had to have a link with the Netgear server that was taken down.

Maybe you had a 6-bay NAS and only had 5 drives installed?

Message 3 of 9
dscycler108
Aspirant

Thank you both for replying timely.  The unit I had was a ReadyNas Pro Business. 

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@dscycler108 wrote:

Thank you both for replying timely.  The unit I had was a ReadyNas Pro Business. 

The Pro had two sizes - a four bay model and a six bay model.  So you must have had 5 disks installed in a 6-bay unit (or perhaps aren't remembering the number of disks correctly).

There were also versions of each - the original Pro products (Pro Pioneer and Pro Business Edition) and the later Pro / Pro 6.  The later versions had a faster CPU.  

We might be able to provide more help if we knew more about what you are trying to accomplish.  

Message 5 of 9
dscycler108
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a Model Number for the 6 bay ReadyNas Pro Business?

Thanks...

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@dscycler108 wrote:

Is there a Model Number for the 6 bay ReadyNas Pro Business?

There were many models, depending on the number and size of any disks Netgear supplied. The general form was RNDP6xxx-100yyy.  xxx had the number and size of the disks encoded into it.  yyy was the geography.  The -100 distinguished the Pro Business from the newer Pro 6 (which used -200).

The diskless model for North America was RNDP6000-100NAS.

If your goal is to extract data that might be on the disks, you don't need to track down the precise model to do that.  Any 6-8 bay ReadyNAS can mount the array.  They can be directly migrated to a Pro 6, Ultra 6, or Ultra 6 Plus.  Newer OS 6 models (RN316, RN426, RN428, RN526, RN528, RN626, RN628, RN716) can also mount the disks as read-only (temporarily).  Of course this assumes that the array is intact and the disks are still functioning.

Data can also be extracted by various data recovery services.

It is also possible to purchase a 5-disk USB enclosure along with RAID recovery software like R-Studio (www.r-studio.com).  This would be done on an ordinary PC.

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

You could also try this: Mounting-ReadyNAS-drives-in-a-virtual-NAS 

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

You could also try this: Mounting-ReadyNAS-drives-in-a-virtual-NAS 

Yes.  You'd still likely need an enclosure to connect all 5 disks to a PC.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements