× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Questions on purchase specifications, SABNZBD & SickBear

JohnnySpice
Aspirant

Questions on purchase specifications, SABNZBD & SickBeard

Hi Guys,

I'm currently using my mac to download tv shows using sabnzb, along with sick beard to automatically queue them up. I'm then plugging in my mac to my hdtv to watch using plex media centre.

Id like to get one of those dedicated media streamers to play files from a has. The idea being that it frees up my macbook to do more than just be a media centre.

I understand from viewing this board that the ReadyNAS supports both SAB and Sickbeard an so those questions are answered. My main question is that now that you know the purpose for which I'd like a a ReadyNAS, could you please suggest to me the set model for this?

I tend to delete shows after I watch them and so I'd probably only need about 1TB of storage space. Are there any recommendations you can make regarding performance?

My endgame is to buy one of those boxes boxes and hook that up to the NAS, such that I can come home from work, turn on the Boxee and enjoy my shows that have downloaded whilst I was at work.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks guys,

John
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Wait you mention Plex and Boxee? Which do you use?

I'd recommend an x86 ReadyNAS (e.g. Ultra, Pro). If you use Plex, you can even run the Plex Media Server on a x86 ReadyNAS. See http://www.readynas.com/plex

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 4
JohnnySpice
Aspirant

Hi there,

I currently use Plex on my mac to play the files I've downloaded.

What I'm looking for in addition to the NAS is to hook up one of those hardware players via HDMI to my tv to play the files stored on my NAS.

I mentioned boxee because they have such a hardware player.

Thanks,

john
Message 3 of 4
JohnnySpice
Aspirant

Also,

Does it matter if I go with an Ultra 2 or an Ultra 2 plus for my purposes?

The NAS and the media player will both be connected to a router via ethernet.

Best Regards,

John
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements