× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 - Front View broken

augur
Guide

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 - Front View broken

Hi,

I bought a broken ReadyNAS Ultra 6 and reinstalled the OS. This fixed the boot issues but after installing discs I cannot fully connect to front view to prepare e.g. an update to ReadyOS6. 

Tried to connect with Edge and also an old Internet Explorer but both shows and empty frontview with a JavaScript error. Any ideas how to solve this? Or prepare the update without a working frontview?

Cheers,

Nils

Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Does RAIDar tell you what firmware is installed on the NAS?

Message 2 of 16
augur
Guide

I think the encrypted serial (VPD file) on the internal disc is broken and not recovered by installing a new firmware. That's leads into the broken Frontview. 

Solved: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 missing model name and serial num... - NETGEAR Communities

@Marc_V I do not know if you are still there but see many posts you helped getting the VPD back.

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

It could be the VPD - a screenshot from RAIDar would be helpful in figuring that out.

Though I believe a browser incompatibility can also cause this particular symptom, so it is possible that the VPD is ok, and the issue is that the Ultra is running really old firmware.

@augur wrote:

@Marc_V I do not know if you are still there but see many posts you helped getting the VPD back.

He's no longer with Netgear. I don't think the current mods have access to the tool needed to rebuild the VPD.  They certainly haven't offered to rebuild it for someone for a long time.

Message 4 of 16
augur
Guide

Screenshot ist still attached. Can you open it?

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@augur wrote:

Screenshot ist still attached. Can you open it?

Yes, sorry - I missed it.

The model field is definitely corrupted,which does point to something wrong with the VPD.

Message 6 of 16
augur
Guide

Damn, even if ReadyNAS seems not really supported anymore it would be awful if some admins could help out. Is it possible to contact it directly our contact some here in the forum?

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@augur wrote:

... if some admins could help out. 

I'm tagging @AnishaA to see if that is possible.

Message 8 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Since serial numbers are no longer important, what with no support and ReadyCloud discontinued, perhaps some kind sole with an Ultra6 will share theirs with you.  Just make sure it's actually from an Ultra6, not an Ultra6Plus.

If somebody has one that causes the NAS to default to the MAC address instead of the serial number, that would be even better.  But I don't know if that ever existed for the Ultra6, as it did for the Pro6.

Message 9 of 16
augur
Guide

Fortunately...I owns a second Ultra 6. 🙂 But if it is possible it would be nice to get everything restored to avoid unknown issues or perhaps the ReadyNAS part will be revived in the future. I like Netgear ReadyNAS line very much...

Message 10 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

That's great.  But you can at least copy over the vpd and verify that is the issue.  See Backup-and-restore-of-VPD-file-for-legacy-ReadyNAS on how to access the flash and copy the vpd file from support mode.

Message 11 of 16
augur
Guide

A correct VPD file fully recovered the Ultra6. So would be very nice if the admins could help me. 

Message 12 of 16
plague69
Aspirant

Readynas Pro 6 Business here and it just died on me. I upgraded to OS 6.9.5 using the Prep+R4toR6 bin upgrade. Then upgraded 6.10.10 because the frontview wanted me to (I guess this is when VPD went away) it was working properly after upgrade but after a reboot and after I added more ram, it got stuck on a readynas logo.

USB recovery worked and allowed boot but now I have the same issue as the OP's image.

I don't have a VPD backup unfortunatly... This is awkward. Anyone have any hints or tips? I've been trying for hours over 4 days.

OS4 and OS6 both work and the share shows up on windows can read+write, but no front view.

OS6 wants to access "/dbbroker" but this URL leads to a forbidden error.

Edit: I tried to boot into Tech Support mode and it came up with the 5 digit number on the front panel. It also said "No IP" even though the network cable has not been touched from last full successful boot. Obviously without an IP I can't even Telnet

Message 13 of 16
augur
Guide

I think you will have to install OMV. I ordered a VGA breakout cable for my ReadyNAS to install it instead of ReadyOS6. Sad to move to something else as I liked it...

Message 14 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Inability to get an IP address sounds like more in the flash is broken than just the VPD.  In fact, your problem may be something in the flash other than the VPD.  A USB recovery might fix it.  But it might make it worse, as I was not aware that any NAS access other than support mode was possible without a valid VPD (which is why I say your VPD may not be the issue).

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Is the NAS normally set to use DHCP?  

Did you try removing/reinserting the ethernet cable?  Sometimes that will result in the NAS getting an address.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements