× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WINDOWS 10 - ReadyNAS not connecting

theonlyjustin
Initiate

WINDOWS 10 - ReadyNAS Remote not connecting

Initialization Failed.

For more information, please visit:

http://readynas.com/remote

Error Code: -3

------------------------------------------------------------

Since updating to Windows 10, I can no longer connect to my NearGear.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled but keep coming up with same issues.

HELP!!!

Message 1 of 47

Accepted Solutions
jcaley
Aspirant

Message 44 of 47

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you are using ReadyNAS Remote? Is this with your ReadyNAS 104?

You should be using ReadyCloud with your 104 now, not ReadyNAS Remote. See http://readycloud.netgear.com

Message 2 of 47
BSI
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue with Readynas Remote to my NV+.

It did work fine before the upgrade to Windows 10

Message 3 of 47
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi theonlyjustin and BSI,

For ReadyNAS OS6 units, you should be using ReadyCloud. See ReadyCloud App BETA for Win 10 compatible.

As for ReadyNAS NV+ since it cannot use ReadyCloud, try running the ReadyNAS Remote in compatiblity mode on your Windows 10. Simply right click the ReadyNAS Remote icon then click Properties, then Compatibility tab. Select "Run this program in compatiblity mode for:" select the previous Windows version you were using with it.

Hope this helps and we look forward to your update.

Regards,

Message 4 of 47
jlopezyo
Tutor

Hi I'm having the same issue, I upgrade my PC to Windows 10 and Readynas remote stoped working, I already try to use the compatibility mode but didn't work, 

I think Netgear should do a newer version for the Readynas connect, I have a Readynas DUO and will be no update to the OS6 for this "old" devices.

JL

Message 5 of 47
kabell
Aspirant

The same issue for me. Please a never version asap.

I've just updatet my Lenovo and my Dell from Windows 8.1 Update to Windows 10. There have never been problems connecting.

But now "initialization fails -3". Have tried to uninstall and reinstall the application ReadyNasRemoteSetup.exe (newest version 1.6.5.26) and tried older versions too. The same issue. Have also disconnected and reconnecte the Leaf adapter. No result.

The problem is only comming from the ReadyNasRemote software. (Gives a message by installation: Error opening file for writing: C:\windows\system32\drivers\npf.sys)

Do anyone have any suggestions - I would think, that we not the only one with that problem. (Look for me like the problems for some people after win 8 and 8.1 described other discussions)

Message 6 of 47
BSI
Tutor
Tutor

kabell

You can stop the npf.sys by opening a command prompt in admin mode and type

sc stop npf

This will enable the application to be installed, but unfortunately it will NOT fix the "init error -3".

Earlier suggestion to start the application in compatability mode does NOT correct this problem.

After having Windows 10 troubleshoot this application, the answer is "Incompatible application"

I think the only way for us who have older NAS equipment from Netgear is to:

A) Ask Netgear kindly to update the ReadyNAS Remote Windows client to a Win 10 ready version

B) Put pressure on Netgear to do the above

C) Abandon Netgear and look for another brand of NAS that is compatible with Win 10 (this might include B) )

Message 7 of 47
kabell
Aspirant

Hope, that Netgear will be positive - if not, they have lost a costumer for ever.

Message 8 of 47
bjw822
Initiate

Fought with this for 2 days and then reverted back to Windows 7. I have a duo v2 and I tried everything suggested in this post during the time I had it installed. Nothing works. Luckily I had a openvpn setup to my router. I had to connect and use the ip address in windows explorer to transfer files that I needed. 

My only suggestion is to go back to your previous OS - but you will be fight with other things then. Like every task in the Task Scheduler being corrupt.

Or setup a different way to remote in. My router has openvpn built-in and is easy to configure. Only 5 connections though.

I hope Netgear does update the legacy remote so I can upgrade. I like a lot of the things on windows 10, but I am not ready for a new NAS. 

Message 9 of 47
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi eonlyjustin,

ReadyNAS Remote for legacy ReadyNAS devices is already EOL, although it still runs and can be used there will be no further update anymore since it has been replaced with ReadyCloud.

We apologize but it appears you cannot use ReadyNAS Remote on a Win10 machine.

Regards,

Message 10 of 47
gabornag
Aspirant

Hi There,

This problem exists on Windows XP and Windows 7 as well. I've uninstalled the ReadyNAS Remote from the machine normally and few weeks later I've ended up with the same issue when I've tried to reinstall it.

Unfortunately this is Netgear's default approach if you're asking support for an older device.

I've bought an NV+ on eBay and it's still registered with the previous owner who cannot be contacted anymore. I couldn't get any actual support despite I have the proof of purchase to show them. Isn't it nice, is it?

G.

Message 11 of 47
BSI
Tutor
Tutor

So JennC

What You really are saying by telling us that our products are EOL, You (Netgear) forces us to get (purchase) a newer NAS just because Microsoft decided to release a newer O/S?

Our older Netgear NAS equipment are still fully functional even if you guys decides to take them EOL!!

I think You will have a hard time convincing us why we should invest in a new Netgear NAS-device when You are hiding behind the EOL statement.

You had a great an user friendly application that literally stopped working overnight.(for me anyway),

In my world (as an IT-tech) this is not customer care..

Message 12 of 47
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

JennC is accurate in saying the product is EOL. There is still R4/R5 releases for some of the procucts although longer appart than the R6 line.

We are interested in getting something available for the ReadyNAS Remote users. I will update everybody as soon as we have a ReadyNAS Remote client that is Windows 10 compatilible. (There are some other fixes in the connection area that we improved on ReadyCLOUD Windows Client that will be implemented on the ReadyNAS Remote.)

Message 13 of 47
gabornag
Aspirant

Thanks OOM-9!

I am glad to hear that you're planning an updated version!

I would like to emphesize again: the originally mentioned issue is not specific to Windows 10. ReadyNAS Remote (legacy client) is having this problem if you uninstalling it from almost any kind of Windows.

I don't really know what is remaining in the registry but I have had no resulution for this problem, I've ended up with windows reinstallaton as I can recall.

G.

Message 14 of 47
MurrayMartin
Guide

Leaving all of us who have depended on our systems with "a too bad message " is not an acceptable way to treat your customer base

this can only cause us to leave for another supplier, after having used your products fr many years

do not allow this to happen

fix the problem

Message 15 of 47
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello,

Engineering team have already confirmed that there will be a plan on an update for the ReadyNAS Remote to work with Win10. There is no ETA yet but they are currently working on it.

Regards,

Message 16 of 47
MurrayMartin
Guide

Thanks for the positive news re W10 fix being planned for rnremote (legacy)

i look forward ward to testing the beta version as soon as it is available

please advise

thanks

murray

Message 17 of 47
kabell
Aspirant

Thanks a lot. I'll look forward to a win 10 compatible version of ReadyNasRemote

This is really another speach, than the support writes to us. I think you should tell them about this to stop the great amount of frustration by your customers who gets only an answer: EOL.

Message 18 of 47
mtorchut
Aspirant

Hi

sorry for my poor english

I can't see my readynas when displaying "network"

but I can ping my NAS at ip address

so I created a shortcut with my nas name                \\nas-name

and this works

I can open my NAS and access all my files

hope this help

Message 19 of 47
StephenB
Guru

@mtorchut wrote:

Hi

sorry for my poor english

I can't see my readynas when displaying "network"

but I can ping my NAS at ip address

so I created a shortcut with my nas name                \\nas-name

and this works

I can open my NAS and access all my files

hope this help

This is not related, as the thread is about ReadyCloud access.  

Though yours is a pretty common issue, and your solution is one I often suggest.  

Message 20 of 47
theonlyjustin
Initiate

Thanks go it working now. Cheers for everyone's help

Message 21 of 47
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ReadyNAS Remote users who have updated to Windows 10 can try this beta app: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Legacy-NETGEAR-and-Partners-Add/ReadyNAS-Remote-Windows-App-Beta/m-...

Message 22 of 47
lupercalia
Aspirant

I'm hoping for a solution - I use remote all the time - ...(edit) and then I found the solution which has been provided - thankyou Netgear, works well

Message 23 of 47
PGB99
Aspirant

Not only did the beta fix work, it works better than the old readynas remote. It seems to automatically reconnect more seamlessly.

Thanks Netherlands.

Now if you can get the Android app to work as of, that would be great!
Message 24 of 47
PGB99
Aspirant

Don't you hate predictive text. Don't know why I am thanking Holland? Should have read 'thanks Netgear '
Message 25 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements