× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cascading GS110MX's: will the throughput be > 1Gbs?

DJofSD
Aspirant

Cascading GS110MX's: will the throughput be > 1Gbs?

I am looking to enhance my LAN by adding two GS110MX with the objective of achieving >1Gbps throughput between two devices. The entire LAN uses CAT6 cables.

One device is a Dell T340 running WSE2016 and is basically an appliance for performing client backups. The second device is a PC being used as a file server (Dell Optiplex 9020 M running Windows 10 Pro).

The plan would be to obtain new network adapter cards for the 2 servers along with the 2 unmanaged switches.

On the first GS110MX, connect the file server PC to the first multi-gig port and then use the 2nd multi-gig port to connect to the second GS110MX consuming one of it's two mulit-gig ports. On the 2nd GS110MX, the remaining mulit-gig port is used for the Dell server. The distance between the two switches is much less than 100 meters.

Other PCs would be connected to either empty 1G ports on the GS110MX or a GS116 (which would likely be moved to an empty port on a C7000).

Will such an arrangement achive faster than 1 Gbs throughput between the two servers?

DJ

P.S. I tried to paste a crude diagram but I'm unsure if I succeeded in doing so.

Model: GS110EMX|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2-Port 10G/Multi-Gig Uplinks
Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cascading GS110MX's: will the throughput be > 1Gbs?

@DJofSD 

The switch will auto-negotiate the fastest link speed available. If your servers ethernet adapter supports 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G the multigig port should automatically use the fastest speed available.

I don't see the need to use two switches to get the two servers to have a throughput higher than 1G. You just need to make sure your adapters will be supporting Multigig or adapters using 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G

You can use the 2 multigig ports for the two servers or you can still do the current configuration but you need to use an adapter higher than 1G.

To answer "Will such an arrangement achive faster than 1 Gbs throughput between the two servers?"

If the adapters you purchased will support speed higher than 1G then YES, but if not, NO.

Note: Only the devices connected on the Multigig port will have speed faster than 1G. Other devices connected on other ports of the switch will be on 1G

Message 2 of 3
DJofSD
Aspirant

Re: Cascading GS110MX's: will the throughput be > 1Gbs?

Many thanks for the reply. It does help.

The reason for the two switches is b/c of where the two servers are physically located -- two opposite ends of the house with a single CAT6 cable inbetween and with both servers connected to switches which also have other devices attached. If both servers were colocated in the same room, yes, I understand I could get away with just one switch and each server using one of the two available mult-gig ports.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements