× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108 intermittent failure similar to but not BLOD

nmoffitt
Aspirant

GS108 intermittent failure similar to but not BLOD

My GS108 ProSafe 8 Port switch has been working without issue for years (at least 8, I think). Last month I noticed that my desktop would not connect and the lights on all connnections would blink rapidly a few times, go blank for a second, and repeat. Thinking it was an issue with my desktop, I unplugged it and the switch continued to work correctly with 5 other connections. I installed a WiFi dongle as a quick fix, and later installed a new network adapter, which worked fine for a few weeks. Last week the blinking failure returned, but this time I had to remove both my desktop and a laptop connection before it would continue working. Finally, I replaced the switch with another of the same and all is well.

I found the "blinking lights of death" threads, which sounded very much like my problem, except that my problem was intermittent and there was no obvious failure on the board, certainly not the capacitors. Any idea whether this switch can be repaired for use as a backup, or is it bound for the trash?

Thanks,

Nick

Model: GS108|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
nmoffitt
Aspirant

Re: GS108 intermittent failure similar to but not BLOD

Thanks, Dane. I already had a pretty good idea the switch was faulty. I knew there was no way to find the receipt, so I asked for some ideas on how it might be fixed (like the capacitor fix for BLOD).

Sounds like this one is bound for the trash.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@nmoffitt,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

It seems that your GS108 switch is faulty.  I suggest you to open a support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime.  Kindly state the status of your GS108 switch and be ready to submit a soft copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of it for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will be processed. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
nmoffitt
Aspirant

Thanks, Dane. I already had a pretty good idea the switch was faulty. I knew there was no way to find the receipt, so I asked for some ideas on how it might be fixed (like the capacitor fix for BLOD).

Sounds like this one is bound for the trash.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements