× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What size grounding screws are needed for the chassis ground hole on GS110MX unmanaged switch?

NBB1
Aspirant

What size grounding screws are needed for the chassis ground hole on GS110MX unmanaged switch?

I see there's a hole for the grounding the chassis on the metal housing of the GS110MX 8-port unmanaged switch, but I can't find out the thread size of the hole.  It seems like M4 is a pretty standard size for chassis ground screws, but I'm unable to verify that anywhere.  Does anyone have this model of switch and can verify the size of chassis ground screw that fits the hole on the housing?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: What size grounding screws are needed for the chassis ground hole on GS110MX unmanaged switch?

A hole to properly thread (or force in) an M4 screw would require a drill diameter of 3.3 mm.

The small Netgear switches I have at hand - leaving alone the additional requirements of patch cables with shielded/grounded patch cables or installations - measure to about 3.0 mm, so it's most likely M3. Well, at least M3 nuts fit well.

800px-2.png800px-1.png

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

A hole to properly thread (or force in) an M4 screw would require a drill diameter of 3.3 mm.

The small Netgear switches I have at hand - leaving alone the additional requirements of patch cables with shielded/grounded patch cables or installations - measure to about 3.0 mm, so it's most likely M3. Well, at least M3 nuts fit well.

800px-2.png800px-1.png

Message 2 of 5
NBB1
Aspirant

Thanks, @schumaku!  So it appears Netgear uses M3 screws for their chassis grounds..interesting.  Sounds like I might be able to squeak by with a ring terminal meant for a #4 stud. 

Separate-but-related question: what is that funny-shaped metal piece between the screw and washer in your first image?  Is that a Netgear-specific grounding screw assembly or something?

Thanks again for the assistance, schumaku!

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@NBB1 wrote:

Separate-but-related question: what is that funny-shaped metal piece between the screw and washer in your first image?  Is that a Netgear-specific grounding screw assembly or something?

Nothing Netgear specific - looks like a lock washer, common for grounding/EMI applications, common more common standards are:

BN 4880
Serrated lock washers
type A, external serrations
Stainless steel A4
~UNI 8842 A
~ČSN 021745

the design intention is that the hard parts of these washers are cutting into a painted or anodized to surfaces, to create a kind of reliable electrical connection for the named purpose.

Message 4 of 5
NBB1
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing the common grounding standards, @schumaku.  I appreciate the help!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements