× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2TB limit fix?

zule
Aspirant

2TB limit fix?

Hi,

I have a ReadyNas NV+ that I have had configured with 4 500GB drives for the last several years. I was almost out of space so I bought 4 1TB drives and went through the expansion process over the last few days.

Silly me, I forgot to update my firmware first. The firmware I was running had a 2TB limit, so I only see 2016GB now. I quickly went and updated my firmware (Now running 4.1.7) and still only see 2016GB.

Should I resynch the volume? I am using X-RAID.

Thanks for any help!
Message 1 of 9
zule
Aspirant

I still haven't figured out a solution, but here is what I have done since my post:

- Resynchronized the array
- Volume scan
- Check/fix quotas

Still showing 2016GB with (4) 1TB drives. 😞
Message 2 of 9
TeknoJnky
Hero

sounds like something that cant be fixed via the forum or anything you can do, you will either need to contact online support and see if they can manually expand or backup (and verify) all data, factory default with all disks in place, and then restore data.
Message 3 of 9
zule
Aspirant

Thanks, I will contact support and post whatever solution I can find.
Message 4 of 9
schalliol
Aspirant

I may recall incorrectly, but I believe that when the 2TB limit was overcome a factory defaulting was necessary. I recall having to do this when I added my 4th 750 to get that last little bit of space.
Message 5 of 9
jawknee
Aspirant

I don't think so. After upgrading my NV+ w/4 2TB drives and a RAIDar upgrade and factory reset - still stuck at 2TB. Appears to be an internal limitation of the sparc based machines. I found this thread after posting my disappointment here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55738
Message 6 of 9
PapaBear1
Guide

Are you talking about the X-Raid volume or Time Machine? Time Machine is a backup process for Macs only. RAIDiator 4.1.7 has no 2TB limit. At one point with 4.1.6 with 4xSeagate ST31000528AS drives I had 2.7TB of space. However, prior to installing those drives I did do a factory default to take advantage of the 16K blocks in RAIDiator 4.x. Prior versions of RAIDiator only had 4K blocks, and that may be what you are running up against.

From the logs page (Status -> logs) click on the button that says download all logs in the upper right side of the window. Once the logs have been downloaded, open the zip file and scroll down to find volume.log. Double click to open the log and scroll down to find "block size".

What is the block size?
Message 7 of 9
TeknoJnky
Hero

your problem and the thread you linked are completely unrelated.

there is a 2tb DRIVE limit for the nv+, not a 2tb VOLUME limit.

with 4x 2tb drive you should get approx 5.5 tb of total VOLUME.

your frontview > volumes page should show something like:

4583 GB (82%) of 5555 GB used 
Additional 5 GB reserved for snapshots
RAID Configuration
Configuration: X-RAID (Expandable RAID), 4 disks
RAID Disks:

Ch 1 : WDC WD20EARS-00S8B1 [1862 GB] 1859 GB allocated
Ch 2 : WDC WD20EARS-00S8B1 [1862 GB] 1859 GB allocated
Ch 3 : WDC WD20EARS-00S8B1 [1862 GB] 1859 GB allocated
Ch 4 : WDC WD20EARS-00S8B1 [1862 GB] 1859 GB allocated
Message 8 of 9
jawknee
Aspirant

I'm speaking of a Timemachine "share". I had a hard time finding the reference I had found before, but there is this:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=49058

Which makes it pretty clear there is a share limit of 2TB. I as I said in my posting that I linked to, I have 5.4TB of space - I just can't use it for my Timemachine backups - which was the point of the upgrade.

But - my apologies is I misread and this was a volume only issue. -jk
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements