× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.9.4 hotfix has not fixed RN104 hangs

somervda
Aspirant

6.9.4 hotfix has not fixed RN104 hangs

I have been using the hotfix 1 version of 6.9.4 since the beginning of the week 23Oct but it has not solved the file share hang problem introduced with 6.9.4. Is work still going on to fix this or should I try and downgrade to 6.9.3? The NAS needs rebooting daily becouse of the hangs.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Icewaterhot
NETGEAR Employee

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Icewaterhot
NETGEAR Employee

Message 2 of 9
somervda
Aspirant

Thanks for the directions - beta installed now, will drop a note if I see any more hangs (Hopefully not).

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 3 of 9
spammenotinoz
Aspirant

Hi,

Neither Firmware 6.9.4 (hotfix 1) or 9.9.5 Beta 1 resolved the hang issue with Windows 10 clients.

I had to roll-back to 6.9.3 to fix the Hang Issue.

However since, Windows 10 (1803), I still have intermittent connectivity issues using the NETBIOS name, but works 100% via IP.

LMHOSTS entry hasn't resolved this either.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@spammenotinoz wrote:

However since, Windows 10 (1803), I still have intermittent connectivity issues using the NETBIOS name, but works 100% via IP.

LMHOSTS entry hasn't resolved this either.

ReadyNAS OS 6 does support WSD for a while, the legacy Netbios namre resolution (a part of the optional WIndows SMB1.0/CIFS Client and Server features) is no longer required. Issues with name resolution or device discovery - being NetBIOS (IP broadcast) or WSD (ICMP Multicast) are commonly caused by poor network equipment.

Message 5 of 9
spammenotinoz
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, however my issue is a direct result of the firmware.

The "hang" issue persists even with 6.10 Beta 1 and 6.10 Beta 2, rolling back to 6.9.3 has fixed the issue.

The issue is easilly repeatable, just MOVE between "10-20GB" of DATA from One Share to Another.

It can be triggered with COPIES but a move sets it off for sure.

On 6.9.3 (which I have rolled back to), sure the NAS hangs during the move (for all clients) but it recovers after the operation.

With 6.9.4 onwards the NAS needs to be restarted, it won't recover.   Name resolution stops, it's gone to all clients, no admin page won't respond, but SSH still works (although anything other than an LS just freezes).  CPU via TOP < 3% during these freeze events.

Max I have left it is overnight, but it won't recover.

I always try and avoid moves or direct copies with this unit, usualy move back to my PC and then move back to the new share.

I am very happy again, just sharing in-case someone else experiences the FREEZES so they can try rolling back to 6.9.3,

Message 6 of 9
spammenotinoz
Aspirant

TIP: I know it's common sense, but it you are not prepared to live with the bugs until resolved, then don't try the Beta's.  Stick the main releases and always check the release notes before downgrading.  Never try any Beta's without SSH working..

You are not supposed to downgrade from 6.10 back to 6.9.3, doing so breaks the Admin interface.

I was able to upgrade Apache2 to get the admin interface working again.

Message 7 of 9
opjose
Aspirant

I am having the same problem on my two ReadyNas 4312's. Both behave identically. My two units will hang up after two days of production utilization by for iSCSI connected Hyper-V hosts running a total of 20 virtual machines. The logs reveal kernel crashes/panics due to "out of memory conditions". My older less capable ReadyData 5200's do not have this problem.
Message 8 of 9
spammenotinoz
Aspirant

Just an update, my NAS has remained Rock solid since I downgraded to 6.9.3

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements