× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adobe Flash

Jomacot
Aspirant

Adobe Flash

Hi All,

I have a Netgear Stora ( can't find a model number ). Following the cesation of Adobe Flash player, like a lot of people on the forum, I have been unable to access the device.

As it has some legacy data that I need to access the Flash Player problem means I can not do so.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this subject but I am totally new to the forum so wonder if someone can give me a heads up on where we are with some sort of workaround to replace Flash Player, or maybe some update of the management software from Netgear maybe?

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adobe Flash

I've never owned a Stora, so I don't know how the flash player factors into it.

I do know that Netgear discontinued the Stora cloud service back in April 2020.  https://kb.netgear.com/000061310/Announcement-Stora-cloud-service-is-ending-April-1-2020

I don't think you'll be able to regain access to your data using the Stora windows app.

One thing you could potentially do is get some RAID recovery software that supports the XFS file system.  Then if you can connect your disk(s) to a Windows PC, that software should let you off-load your data.

Message 2 of 5
Jomacot
Aspirant

Thanks Steve,

So I assume that Netgear has just abandoned the Stora and anyone that uses it.

Looks like my only option is to get some Radi recovery software.

John.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Jomacot wrote:

So I assume that Netgear has just abandoned the Stora and anyone that uses it.

I don't work for Netgear, but that sounds like a reasonable assessment.  It was launched in 2009. The most recent deskop app update was in 2012. They stopped selling the hardware in 2019, and discontinued the cloud service in 2020.  

@Jomacot wrote:

Looks like my only option is to get some Radi recovery software.

Well, there are a couple avenues:

1. RAID recovery software (with XFS support).  Many let you download first, so you can see if it can find the files
  2. A data recovery service might be able to help
  3. if you have enough skills, it might be possible to recover data from a ubuntu linux system.  The software would be free in this case, but you would need to know what you are doing.

One aspect to this is the importance of having backup(s) of your data.  It's always at risk when it is stored in only one device (or cloud service).

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Have you looked at the Open Stora project? (Just Google it.)  While, AFAIK, it can't help a user gain access to a new-to-them Stora, it does offer some solutions for those who want to continue to use an already activated device.  There are also Flash alternatives available, and the folks at Open Stora may be able to tell you which ones work with it, or you can just try some.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements