× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop not working with ReadyNAS storage

Acro
Aspirant

Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop not working with ReadyNAS storage

I recently upgraded my MAC OS to El Capitan and shortly afterwards was prompted to upgrade my Lightroom and Photoshop CC apps.

Since them I am having major problems with Lightroom and Photoshop and the NAS.  They can read data from it OK but when they try to write back to the NAS it invariably fails.  Needless to say it worked fine before the upgrade and I haven't changed any config on the NAS, although I had to update RAIDAR in order to see the NAS again.

I can see the contents of the NAS ok using Finder and I can also write/copy files to it using Finder and other apps.  I can also write files from PS and LR to my MAC hard drive without any problems.  It just seems to be some issue between the Adobe apps and the NAS.  Tried to ask Adobe for help today and they just said they don't recommend or support the use of NAS drives - haha.

I have also picked up some threads on forums that suggest some things have changed in El capitan but can't find anything concrete.

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop not working with ReadyNAS storage

What NAS and what firmware is it running?  Are you sharing with SMB, AFP, or NFS?

Message 2 of 8
Acro
Aspirant

Its a ReadyNAS Duo v2 running RAIDiator 5.3.11 and I'm connecting to it using AFP.

Message 3 of 8
Acro
Aspirant

Just had some feedback from somebody on the Photoshop community forum and based on that I switched off my AV, which is Trend Internet Security.  That seems to have fixed it.  Must be some conflicts with the way real-time scanning works with NAS drives.

Message 4 of 8
Sean1972
Aspirant

Im having problems also. I'm new to NAS devices but since buying the ReadyNAS 102 I'm having lots of errors reading images via Adobe Lightroom (needless to say before adding the NAS everything was fine)

Im using the NAS plugged directly into the Netgear Router, I've also tried it plugged directly into the laptop via the ethernet cable. 

Im using a MacBook Pro, and Adobe Lightroom CC. 

I get various symptoms, such as 'Unexpected File End' and also images only partially loading

I have screenshot examples but cant seem to attach them this thread. 

Netgear support don't appear to know what to do, however they've hinted that the MTU settings may need to be altered but were not defininate about it. 

Any help much appreciated. 

Sean

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Sean1972 wrote:

Netgear support don't appear to know what to do, however they've hinted that the MTU settings may need to be altered but were not defininate about it. 

What router model?  

What MTU size is set on the Macbook and the RN102?  

Is IPv6 enabled on the RN102?  What firmware are you running on it?

Message 6 of 8
GpH1
Aspirant

I'm having this exact same issue unfortunately.  We're using a ReadyNAS 516 with the latest 6.4.1 firmware.  Router is a Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway, switch is a brand new Netgear Smart gigabit router.  MTU on both the Mac and the NAS is 1500, although I have tried jumbo frames (9000) but that didn't work either.  IPv6 is disabled on the ReadyNAS.

The problem specifically, is that when using AFP to work images located on the ReadyNAS in Lightroom, when I go to the 'Develop' and click an image it does not load properly.  The images gets either cut off at the bottom, or there are bands of the image missing.  Using SMB the images loads fine, however when using SMB I am unable to overwrite existing image files when working with them in Photoshop, it always claims the file is in use.  This doesn't occur in AFP but I get the banding issue!

Please advise as we are desperate for a solution!

Message 7 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello GpH1,

Welcome to the community!

Have you tried contacting support already? Maybe they have engineering team check on the issue you have.

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements