× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advice for Configuration of readyNas ultra2

ludelle
Aspirant

Advice for Configuration of readyNas ultra2

Hi,

I'm kind of newbies in Nas world and I have bougth a ready nas ultra + 3Tb hard drive (soon delivered).
I played a little bit with the readynas and 1Tb drive and I will switch to 3Tb as soon as I will receive it.

I would like to have some advice about configuring the system. Some information before
- nas will be used mainly with a single disk of 3TB
- It is used mainly for sharing files over all the house (4 computers, tablet, phone and set top box)
- I will do the backup on an external drive (that go in secure place :-))

So my idea is to have several volumes in this first 3tB disk with the following type of files
- raid 1 with 500 GB => Files that I will backup regularly (~150 Gb now) => pictures, family video ...
- raid 0 with remaining GB for others type
=> Files that I will backup less often => music
=> Files that I will not backup : recorded video that I keep only for a few days/weeks
=> and also the remaining in Iscsi mode (I played with that yesterday and it's fantastic)

What do you think about this?
Additionally in future if I add another disk of 3TB in ready nas what will happen ?
I suppose readynas will create automatically a mirror for raid 1, but what will happen for the rest of the disk?
what I want is that remaining space on the second disk become a new volume distinc of first one (meaning that I will have 250 GB in raid 1 splitted over the two drives + ~5.750Tb on two drives)

Another question, is it easy to resive the volume (for example increase raid1 volumes and decrease raid0 volumes)?

Thanks for your answer, I don't want to make bad configuration.

Ludelle
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Advice for Configuration of readyNas ultra2

It would not be easy to resize the RAID volumes with your approach.

Also, RAID-1 requires 2 drives - so I am confused about the "used mainly with a single disk of 3 TB" and "raid 1 with 500 GB".

The simplest approaches are to
(a) Go with 2x3TB drives, and create a single mirrored volume.
(b) Go with FlexRaid, and create two independent volumes (one on each disk).

In the second approach, you could backup your critical shares daily from one volume to the other - not the same as RAID-1 of course, but perhaps good enough. Though you should also back these shares up to a different device.

You can use FlexRAID to create multiple volumes on one drive. Also, if you use flexraid with a 500 GB drive and a 3 TB drive, you could set up a 500 GB RAID-1 and and 2.5 TB RAID-0. Changing the size of those volumes would (I think) require deleting them and restoring them from backup.
Message 2 of 3
ludelle
Aspirant

Re: Advice for Configuration of readyNas ultra2

Hi,
Thank for your answer.

>Also, RAID-1 requires 2 drives - so I am confused about the "used mainly with a single disk of 3 TB" and "raid 1 with 500 GB".
yes maybe it's more raid 0 volume converted in raid1 when a new disk is inserted. I don't know exactly the procedure.

I think I will go into flew-raid with multiple volumes. thanks again

Ludelle
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements