× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anti-virus Not updating (6.0.6)

AndrewT1
Aspirant

Anti-virus Not updating (6.0.6)

Hi ,

I have noticed that Anti-Virus signature files dose not update unless I reboot or disable /enable the service. Dose anyone know if this correct or just another software issue ?

Thanks

Andrew

ReadyNas 104 S/W 6.0.6
Message 1 of 19
Govnah
Aspirant

Re: Anti-virus Not updating (6.0.6)

I find this to be the case as well.....
Message 2 of 19
chirpa
Luminary

If you have SSH, you can trigger a manual check for update on the A/V signatures.
# /frontview/bin/avdu -v 3
avdu.c:481(3) defId: 0-->201305211449
avdu.c:291(3) Start downloading definition file (201305211449)
avdu.c:303(3) Done downloading definition file (201305211449) rc=0 http_status=200
avdu.c:502(2) Successfully download definition file (201305211449)
avdu.c:330(3) Start installing virus definition file (201305211449)
avdu.c:356(3) Success installing virus definition file (201305211449)
avdu.c:519(2) Successfully installed new definition file (201305211449)
They have gone out of their way to hide command line arguments from people for some reason.
Message 3 of 19
AndrewT1
Aspirant

Thanks Chirpa

Is it possible to schedule the task to run daily ?

Andrew
Message 4 of 19
chirpa
Luminary

It looks like it is scheduled in some manner. I've seen it periodically update between 3-7 days on one system. It's not a crontab job though, must be internally scheduled in the readynasd agent. Though I last saw that with 6.0.5 and lower. They keep stripping stuff in the newer versions, like hiding the command line arguments, its possible something could be broken in 6.0.6, haven't looked in detail at that release.
Message 5 of 19
AndrewT1
Aspirant

Hi..

Just noticed my AV had updated after a week of being powered on >>> Would prefer once a day NetGear..

Andrew
Message 6 of 19
StephenB
Guru

I am wondering if the AV updates are pushed (e.g., not scheduled, but updated when they change).
Message 7 of 19
AndrewT1
Aspirant

StephenB Not sure , but if you reboot or disable/Enable AV it load a new Signature file almost every time ..
Andrew~
Message 8 of 19
chirpa
Luminary

StephenB, they are pulled. It checks http://0001E241P1281I072105:@avdl.ctmai ... ir-hit.ini to see if the available definitions date is newer than what it has, then downloads it.
Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Then it should either check often enough that no one cares, or you should be able to set the schedule (agreeing with AndrewT's desire for more frequent updates).
Message 10 of 19
chirpa
Luminary

Until we find out how they schedule it, a cronjob script could be created which runs /frontview/bin/avdu on a defined schedule.
Message 11 of 19
chirpa
Luminary

Found it. Runs 10 minutes after boot, and once a week after that.

# cat /lib/systemd/system/avdu.timer
[Unit]
Description=Anti-Virus Definition Update Timer
Requires=ctscand.service

[Timer]
OnBootSec=10m
OnUnitActiveSec=1w
Unit=avdu.service

You should be able to edit that file to be 1d instead of 1w. But firmware updates would overwrite the changes.
Message 12 of 19
glem
Aspirant

Does anyone know what antivirus engine is used ? Is it ClamAV or another one ?
Message 13 of 19
chirpa
Luminary

It's CommTouch. A generic provider, many embedded systems use their AV definitions.

viewtopic.php?p=389048#p389048
http://www.commtouch.com/antivirus-for-nas/

It's the same AV that runs on NTGR's STM/UTM product line.
Message 14 of 19
glem
Aspirant

Thanks chirpa. If I'm not wrong, it's OEM, not free. Can we use it on x86 legacy with "legal" use ?
Message 15 of 19
AndrewT1
Aspirant

Thanks Chirpa

Going to mood the file and see what happens ...

Andrew~
Message 16 of 19
Govnah
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Found it. Runs 10 minutes after boot, and once a week after that.

# cat /lib/systemd/system/avdu.timer
[Unit]
Description=Anti-Virus Definition Update Timer
Requires=ctscand.service

[Timer]
OnBootSec=10m
OnUnitActiveSec=1w
Unit=avdu.service

You should be able to edit that file to be 1d instead of 1w. But firmware updates would overwrite the changes.

Thanks Chipra! You need to send Netgear a consulting bill as I have learned and addressed more issues from you than opening a ticket with Netgear.
Message 17 of 19
chirpa
Luminary

glem wrote:
Thanks chirpa. If I'm not wrong, it's OEM, not free. Can we use it on x86 legacy with "legal" use ?
It's in the OS without protection to stop it from being used on non-OS6 official boxes. So if it comes down to it, the OEM provider may bitch to NTGR for license violations. Same goes for Paragon NTFS driver they include in the OS.

edit: wow, they've turned on profanity filters now haha.
Message 18 of 19
chirpa
Luminary

Govnah wrote:
Thanks Chipra! You need to send Netgear a consulting bill as I have learned and addressed more issues from you than opening a ticket with Netgear.
I had offered to do work for them after I left. But I think I've annoyed them more than anything, helping users out on here; being outspoken and defending the community they have abandoned. Brett (PLM for business storage) banned me on the NTGR forums for pointing out beta releases they put on their anonymous FTP site (link in my sig). They sent me a cease and desist letter last year based on bogus claims by one employee... it's sad what they've turned into.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements