× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup to NAS Rn102 creates duplicate files

cmwwebfx
Aspirant

Backup to NAS Rn102 creates duplicate files

I have an SSD drive (E Drive) in my PC for only containing my  client photography. I have setup the ReadyNAS to backup the client folder. However I am noticing that my C drive is  now creating a further copy in C/Users/User/ReadyCloud/name of folder. I am finding that I am quickly running out of room on my C drive, and not really  what I am looking for. Is there a way that I can setup the ReadyNas to automatically backup from the photography SSD drive direct onto one drive on the NAS storage, and then have the 2nd drive in the NAS to just duplicate this? 

I am hoping this is simply an automated thing that looks for changs in the  E drive and then synchronises from that.  I do not hve a large C drive and wantto skip the automated creation of this on my user directory on C drive. 

Any help or pointers will be most appreciated.

Ciaran

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Do you need to use ReadyCloud to back up the files?

If you are generally on the same network as the NAS, you might want to switch to a different tool.

Message 2 of 4
cmwwebfx
Aspirant

I do not need the files to go to the ready cloud at all. I am just using the NAS drive for backing up my work from my PC to a RAID system built into the ReadyNAS. Likely I will upload all  files to my 10TB iDrive account. So at the moment I simply want to have all my files from my client photo drive (E drive) automatically update to the ReadyNAS. 

I Hope that makes sense?

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Then the first thing to do is to turn off ReadyCloud file sync.  That's what's putting the files on your C drive.  It's not standard, so you did set it up, though you were not aware of all the consequences that came with the advantages.

There are many programs, both commercial and open source, that can do backups and file sync.  Which you choose depends on how often you want the files backed up -- constantly, whenever a change is made, or periodically.  Many can back up to a NAS share directly, some will want you top map a NAS folder to a PC drive and back up to that.  I personally use Aronis True Image, which can do periodic file or image backups, and I know @StephenB does as well..  I create most files on the NAS, not on my PC, so I don't run anything that has constant sync.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements