× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bogus error: There is not enough space on the disk

Bizarrox
Tutor

Bogus error: There is not enough space on the disk

OK, this has me mystified, and I'm frankly getting a bit desperate - I sincerely hope someone can help me out with this!

I have my entire iTunes music library on my NV+ (over 30,000 files), and tonight I decided to update the album art on a single track. After I did that I tried to listen to the track and it simply wouldn't play - iTunes would just skip over it but other tracks played just fine. When I looked at the "info" for the track the album art I had just pasted in showed as a tiny dot rather than a 400x400 image. After mucking about with it a while I finally decided it had gotten corrupted (it wouldn't play in WinAmp either), so I deleted it from iTunes and found another copy. When I tried to add the new copy to my music library iTunes told me that there wasn't enough space and it would copy what it could, which ended up being nothing. Well THAT made me suspicious so I started looking around at my NV+...

First of all, you should know that sometime after my backup last night there was a message in the logs about how there was a "read error on channel (??)" that it said could have affected parity, so I shut down with the quota and filesystem check boxes checked and let them run. Once it came back I tried to drop my new copy of the song into iTunes and got the error message again.

I went to my X: drive (mapped to my share on the NV+) and everything looked fine, including the fact that the MP3 I deleted in iTunes is gone (though still on the FreeAgent I back up to). Just for the heck of it I tried to create a new directory off the root of the X: drive and got "There is not enough space on the disk" from Windows (XP 32-bit fully patched). There was about 47GB free on my quota, but just for the heck of it I moved some space from someone else's quota to mine so I'm at .99TB used and 126GB free, but I still get the same error message.

I deleted a couple GB of junk out of a subdirectory, and I still get the same error message.

I performed a volume resynch. When it was done I tried to create a directory again and still got the same error message.

In desperation I tried a firmware update to the T60 beta, and I still got the same error message.

And since I've been saying I tried to create a folder in the root directory and I just knew someone would call me out on it, I tried to create a subdirectory in a subdirectory and got the error message there too.

For the record:
I've been running these four 500GB Hitachi drives (HDS725050KLA360) since I got the NV+ several years ago. They all show healthy, though #2 had 2 sectors relocated a month or two ago.
Until tonight I'd been on firmware 4.1.6 since sometime last year.
The last time I changed a file on the NV+ was early October when I added some new music. I did NOT get any errors at the time!
Frontview says "X-RAID, 4 disks, 68% of 1363 GB used".
Disc #2 SMART shows 2 reallocated sectors, 1 pending sector, and 1 "Lp Stat event", whatever that is...
Message 1 of 17
Bizarrox
Tutor

Come on people, 56 views and not a single suggestion? I'll try the new 4.1.7, but somehow I doubt it will make a difference.
Message 2 of 17
WhoCares_
Mentor

Shooting from the hip: Maybe there are local Windows quotas involved here?

-Stefan
Message 3 of 17
chirpa
Luminary

If you map to the NAS as the 'admin' user, do you get the quota message?
Message 4 of 17
Bizarrox
Tutor

LOL! What brought y'all in, changing the subject from "new error" to "bogus error"? Whatever it was, thank you!

Chirpa - It hadn't occurred to me to try connecting as the admin user yet, but I'll try it in a little while (still at work) and let you know what happens. FYI I upgraded to 4.1.7 this morning and set it to reboot with both boxes checked. The last time it took about 4 hours, so it should have finished around lunchtime.

Whocares? - Let's put it this way: I've never configured any local quotas nor am I aware of the existence of any. No one touches that machine but me, so if there is one then Bill (Gates) set it without my knowledge or permission. As I mentioned, the last time I touched the NAS was on 10/4 when I wrote some new files and modified some existing files without any trouble, so whatever changed happened after 10/4 and I didn't do it (deliberately).

So now you've got me thinking... I don't recall having installed any significant new software on my PC since 10/4 (and certainly nothing likely to cause this), but I do try to keep up with Windows updates. Has anyone heard rumors of a recent Windows update causing XP to suddenly report disc space errors on remote drives...?
Message 5 of 17
WhoCares_
Mentor

Bizarrox wrote:
So now you've got me thinking... I don't recall having installed any significant new software on my PC since 10/4 (and certainly nothing likely to cause this), but I do try to keep up with Windows updates. Has anyone heard rumors of a recent Windows update causing XP to suddenly report disc space errors on remote drives...?

No but asking Google returns an awful lot of references where local quotas (e.g. on your Windows box) interfere with all sorts of network transfers. That's why I asked.

-Stefan
Message 6 of 17
Bizarrox
Tutor

Whatever Chirpa was thinking, he's on the right track - when I connect as admin I see 1.33TB total space with 424GB free, and the disc space error goes away. Reconnecting with my normal user account drops the total and free space numbers back down and the disc space error comes back. All of this seems to imply that the problem is related to quotas (on the NAS rather than locally 🙂 ), so here you go:

Including myself I have two users, and Frontview says their total consumption is 939 GB (68%) of 1363 GB used.
Both users are in the default "users" primary group (the only group I have), which has a 1,200,000MB quota - I believe this was a system default and I've never changed it.

Frontview says the other user has consumed 51,276MB of their 100,000MB quota.
Frontview says I've used 910,925MB of my 1,200,000MB quota. Windows reports 937GB total with 47.9GB free and I get a disc space error.

If I increase my quota to an excessive 1,300,000MB then Windows reports .99TB total with 126GB free, and I get a disc space error.
If I decrease my quota to 1,100,000MB then Windows reports 889GB total with 0 bytes free, and I get a disc space error.

Some of this could be coming from the old question of whether 1K=1000 or 1024, but without doing some complicated math I have to say those numbers just don't look like binary vs. decimal can explain the fact that the NAS is only 68% full, and yet I can't access the remaining 32% as a non-admin user.

WhoCares? - You piqued my interest, so I checked the local quota settings for my mapped X: drive to see what you were talking about. If I map the drive using the admin account then I see the Quota tab, and quota management is in fact enabled (though it's set to "no limit"). However, I also discovered why I didn't even know these local quotas exist: when I map the drive using my regular user account then the Quota tab isn't there, and since I never map drives using an admin account I therefore never see it...
Message 7 of 17
Bizarrox
Tutor

Chirpa? Any ideas?
Message 8 of 17
Bizarrox
Tutor

Bump.
Message 9 of 17
Bizarrox
Tutor

Chirpa? Anyone?
Message 10 of 17
wrnyng
Aspirant

I am having a similar problem. I am now getting out of space errors but I should have about 500 gigs of space left on this drive.

I got a Readynas duo in September, and when 4.1.7 was released, I upgraded. I replaced the 1tb Seagate drive that came with the readynas with two 1-tb WD green drives that I already owned. They work fine, and currently show 476 gigs of space used. Until Monday, the Seagate drive was part of the C volume, i.e., it has about 480 gigabytes used.

I put the Seagate drive that came with the Readynas in an SIIG Cool Sata Dock. At first Readynas reported the correct size. then I changed the name of the USB Drive in the Volumes function, and the readynas created a second partition, and each is showing about 2 gigs of space.

I really can't tell if drive was damaged when I changed the name, but the space is not there now.

Even though it shows it has two gig of space, it has all of the files that were on it originally, when it was used as the c volume, about 480 gigabytes.

And even though I can see two partitions, the volumes display of the USB drives shows only one of the partitions.

Any suggestions? I would be okay reformatting if it would get me back to full space, especially if it got it back to one partition.
Message 11 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would reformat the disk if you've backed up the contents. 2GB is the capacity of the OS partition.
Message 12 of 17
Bizarrox
Tutor

Unfortunately, that doesn't sound like it would help me at all. The full amount of space shows up when I'm connected as the admin user, so clearly the NAS is seeing all of it and just doesn't want to admit it when I connect as a normal user.
Message 13 of 17
Bizarrox
Tutor

Bump
Message 14 of 17
dagoda
Aspirant

I had the same error message when trying to copy files to my ready nas duo, which is mapped as a network drive. The properties of the network drive showed that 100GB are used and 200GB are still available, which was according to my settings (user-quota 300GB). Even setting the user-quota to 0 (unlimited) didn't help. Being logged in as administrator (Windows7) allowed me to copy files on the ready nas again, as mentioned above.

Finally I found out that there is a group-quota besides the user-quota. Every user automatically is assigned to the group "users", which has a quota of 100GB. It seems that every user is subject to the the group-quota in the first place. Setting the group-quota to 0 solved the problem in my case. It seems that the user-quota now became the "true limit".
Message 15 of 17
houston1
Aspirant

Holy ^%$!#!
Thank you dagoda!
I have been beating my head against the wall for more than a week dealing with this issue. It's never been a problem in the previous 5 years I've used the ReadyNAS.

I know this is old, but I googled for a long time to find your solution.
Thanks
Message 16 of 17
Slasky
Aspirant

I don't know if this applies, but I had a problem with a "full disc" even though the NAS reported the share to be half full.

What my problem was, in conjunction with a Netgear techie, was that when I streamed videos to my playstation, it buffered the files somewhere, and didn't delete them. Just got me thinking since you said you had your iTunes files there.

The only solution here was a OS reinstall though
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements