× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access folders after upgrading to 6.9.0

schwizer
Aspirant

Can't access folders after upgrading to 6.9.0

After upgrading to 6.9.0 on my RN 104, I can't open the shares that I had synced with my PC.  When i try to open one of the shares from my windows explorer, it asks me for a username and a password and i enter exactly the same thing that i enter from the redycloud desktop app when you click "Admin".  The login works on the app and I can see the web page of the NAS and look at settings, shares etc but i can't actually get into the shares.

Very annoying to not have access to files after simple software update.  Any ideas?

schwizer

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

If you are seeing the web UI when you are using File Explorer, then you likely are using the wrong slash direction.  \\nas-ip-address should show you the share list, //nas-ip-address will launch the web ui.

If you launch CMD, you can access the full data volume by entering

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real ip address and admin password of course.  The first command terminates any open network sessions, the second attempts to map the NAS data volume to drive letter t.  If your destination folder is a private user folder, then it will show up in the home folder of the data volume.

Message 2 of 15
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Could do you please try to update to 6.9.1 Beta? It fix some SMB issue on 6.9.0,

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-9-1-T129-Beta-2/m-p/1427827#M100...

Message 3 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am having the same issues, also updated to 6.9.1, on my RN214

I cannot access home folder of user i connect to shares with, and also admin account cannot access shares

Using windows 10 pro and readynasos 6.9.1

Message 4 of 15
chopin70
Virtuoso

In the same boat after I installed windows 10 from scratch.

Here's a workaround I found, but definately not a solution for me (post 3)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Windows-10-Install-no-longer-able-to-access-NAS...

Message 5 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

User account cannot access home folder x, but can access all other shares, just not its home dir.

Admin account cannot even connect to the \\ipadress, but it works on the admin web page.

Thanks for the tip though 🙂

Message 6 of 15
adiamond2
Aspirant

I've had the same problem.  I can restore the connecting by disconnecting my mapped drive (I map a certain folder to y:\) and then remapping it.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 7 of 15
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@Retired_Member

Did you change admin default password?

if use default admin password, admin account can't access \\nasip,

Message 8 of 15
adiamond2
Aspirant

I'm not using the default password and I'm using the same one I set up a long time ago. 

Frankly, I was thinking it was the latest windows upgrade.  After all, I can see everything on the NAS from the NAS or, as I recall, even from the network URL (vs the mapped drive.   I could be wrong about that but it will have to fail again for me to find out.)

Anyway, after seeing this post I guess it's the NAS.  Do you agree?

Message 9 of 15
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

If Windows 10 update to 1709, it has SMB access problem.

Please see below topic,

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/RN314-OS-6-8-1-Win10-Pro-64-bit-Fall-Creator-17...

6.9.2 will fix the issue,

and there are a couple other ways to get this working on <= 6.9.1 without touching Windows group policies.

1) Create a user account on the NAS that matches the name of the user that you're logged in to Windows as.  So, if your Windows account name is stephenb, create a NAS user account named stephenb.

2) Change the SMB3 Transport Encryption option to Required.  (However, this will have a major performance impact on RN31x and lower desktop models

you also can configure the following Group Policy settings:
1. Run "Edit group policy" in serach,
2. Open Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation and enable "Enable insecure guest logons"
Message 10 of 15
chopin70
Virtuoso

Many thanks for pointing to that thread which explains it all

I am affected under Win 10 Enterprise and the RN524X. Debugged it myself after hours not knowing about that thread, despite my searches.

Waiting for 6.9.2 to be able to log again as the user I want without adding credentials on every affected PC

Message 11 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I did indeed change the default admin password, first thing i did.

So in short:

- User yveZ can access all shares, except it's home folder, but then i dont have root access and cannot access the .apps/data folder

- User admin cannot connect to any of the shares, including the root, but works perfectly on the NAS Admin page.

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

- User admin cannot connect to any of the shares, including the root, but works perfectly on the NAS Admin page.

It works perfectly on my systems (Windows 10 Fall Creator, and OS 6.9.1 in the ReadyNAS).  Did you do a net use * /delete when you tried to switch credentials? 

Message 13 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Aye, deleted all credentials saved by windows manager, and admin cannot access anything on \\nasipaddress

Using my normal NAS account, [randomuser], i can access it just fine, but then i cannot access the [randomuser] home folder

so something is not setup properly.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Aye, deleted all credentials saved by windows manager, and admin cannot access anything on \\nasipaddress

So add back the admin credential for \\nasipaddress, and perhaps do a net use * /delete  via CMD to make sure any older sessions that use other credenials are terminated.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements