× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't re-install OS or Factory reset 102

donfrenchiano
Aspirant

Can't re-install OS or Factory reset 102

I started having a problem with my 102 where it drops off the network within about 20 min. I saw a few people with the same issue but never any real solutions. A few people suggested an OS re-install. I go into the boot menu and according to the documentation I press the backup button until the Disk 2 LED is lit, then press the reset button to start the re-install. It looks like it reboots into this mode but then it just sits there with the power and Act LED on. I waited for about an hour at one point. If i reboot the device it goes back to the original settings like nothing happened. So then i decided to do a factory reset. I didnt want to lose my data so i put in a 1TB drive i wasnt using and started it. On the factory reset all the lights flash for about 10 min like its doing something and then it does the same thing where the power LED and Act LED are on and nothing else. No network activity. I am going to connect the drive to a computer and remove the partions (if any) and then boot the device with a "new" unpartitioned drive to see if it makes any new partitions. Is my unit busted or am I not doing something right? The documentation isn't clear on what is supposed to happen when performing these actions.
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you do a factory reset you have 10 minutes to abort the factory reset by powering down or press the backup button to confirm you wish to proceed without further delay.
Message 2 of 9
donfrenchiano
Aspirant

What about the OS Re-install?
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The OS Re-install should start immediately when you have pressed the reset button to choose that option.
Message 4 of 9
DcR_Computer
Aspirant

I realise that this a somewhat dated post but I'm in the same boat. On power up, only the power and act lights are on steady. The unit will not shut down unless the power is removed. I've tried OS reinstalling and Factory resetting with no success. Moreover, the unit is not detected when plugged into the router. I've also tried a direct connection by ethernet cable to my mac but without DHCP, I can only allocate an IP address to my mac. I think my NAS 102 was 192.168.1.xxx.

So, no access and no apparent way of resetting it to either internal OS or Factory.

Is there anything else that I can try please?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Did this happen after you upgraded to 6.4.0?

Message 6 of 9
DcR_Computer
Aspirant

Yes. On starting ReadyNAS Admin page, I was advised that 6.4.0 was available (I had 6.1.9). It downloaded and then said that it was rebooting, please wait...

There were no power outages or any attempt to switch the NAS off manually. After waiting for about 20 minutes, we refreshed the admin page unsuccessfully and in File Explorer, the NAS wasn't detected any more.

Since then, we've accessed the boot menu and tried an OS reinstall and Factory reset - both unsuccessful. Regardless of whether I try and start the unit normally or using a reset function, the outcome is the same: Act light on, Power light on flashing for about 10 seconds then on steady, no Disk lights, power off only possible by removing cable or switching off at the wall.

There is one other "positive" note which is that although the NAS isn't discoverable, one of its data lights flashes as if connected to a network. I don't know if that's relevant.

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The upgrade process includes updating the boot loader, and that apparently failed in your case.  It sounds like you need a USB boot recovery.  

This faq should help:  http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29961?utm_source=community&utm_medium=announcement&utm...

Message 8 of 9
DcR_Computer
Aspirant

By jingo!

It didn't work the first time but I used the same USB stick a second time and THAR SHE BLOWS!!!

Ahum...

Many thanks. Great response from a support forum. I like to think I'm IT savvy although we're still all learning new "tools" for our toolbox. I can't help thinking that this is beyond some home users who will just return it to the shop.

All the best and thanks again.

David

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements