× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot access readyNAS shares on a home workgroup when connecting from a domain joined computer

sfreemanoh
Tutor

Cannot access readyNAS shares on a home workgroup when connecting from a domain joined computer

So, this is a weird one...I'm trying to get to my NAS at home (plugged into my router at home) from my work domain joined laptop, so I can transfer some training material to it. However, it's not accepting my admin un/pw, OR a new account I setup a few minutes ago, OR a personal account I've had on the NAS since I first got it. It gives me two attempts, then for a few minutes whenever I try to connect it just says "Windows can't find '\\192.168.1.72'". After a few minutes it's able to find it again, and I got the login prompt, but I'm still unable to login.

I'm not running a domain at home, so the username login SHOULD just be either "admin" or "steve", both of which are valid accounts on my NAS. I even tried workgroup\admin and workgroup\steve, but same thing. I'm confused as hell right now...and the "Windows can't find ..." message is odd as hell. It's like the NAS is automatically blocking connection attempts after two failed logins?

This is on a ReadyNas 516, running firmware 6.1.9. My laptop is running Win10.

Any advice would be appreciated... And, to be clear, I'm still able to access the NAS without any issues from my home PC's.

Edit: Also, I even have anonymous access enabled for the shares, but since I can't even SEE the shares, it's kind of irrelevant.

2nd Edit: I just upgraded the firmware to 6.4.1, same thing.

Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Cannot access readyNAS shares on a home workgroup when connecting from a domain joined computer

Is your "domain joined computer" communicating via a VPN?  If so, your NAS isn't on the same virtual network and won't be seen.  And if your employer uses somethng like Cisco Anyconnect software, they may be blocking what you can see (and who can see you).  Sneakernet may be your only hope.

Message 2 of 3
sfreemanoh
Tutor

Re: Cannot access readyNAS shares on a home workgroup when connecting from a domain joined computer

It's not connected to a VPN right now, however, we ARE using Remote Access/DirectAccess, for remote always-on connectivity to the domain. And while I didn't think it should be preventing access to non-domain network resources...it seems like it may be. I'll have to talk with the guy who set it up, I don't really know much about it. This is kind of annoying...thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements