× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Change from Ultra 2 Plus to 314 using same disks?

JB19701
Aspirant

Change from Ultra 2 Plus to 314 using same disks?

Hi

I've a new 314 arriving today to replace my Ultra 2 Plus. I'd like to move the existing disks to the 314 without losing the data (permanently) or copying it back to a PC first. Whats the best & fastest way?

My Ultra 2 Plus is configured RAID 1 mirror, so I'm guessing:

- Remove disk 2 from Ultra 2 Plus
- Install it as disk 1 in 314
- Allow it to initialise & wipe the data.
- Copy all of the intact data from disk 1 on the Ultra 2 Plus to the 314 - this is where I'm unsure
- remove the remaining disk from the Ultra to the new NAS & it will sync?

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards

John
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Change from Ultra 2 Plus to 314 using same disks?

JB1970 wrote:

- Remove disk 2 from Ultra 2 Plus
- Install it as disk 1 in 314
- Allow it to initialise & wipe the data.

Don't a factory default via the boot menu would wipe the disk. Yes this should work but you should ensure your backup is up to date first.
JB1970 wrote:

- Copy all of the intact data from disk 1 on the Ultra 2 Plus to the 314 - this is where I'm unsure

Yes. You could run a backup job (e.g. Using Rsync) on the 314
JB1970 wrote:

- remove the remaining disk from the Ultra to the new NAS & it will sync?

You would need to delete the partitions off the disk first (e.g. hooking the disk up to a PC). If this is too difficult I could wipe the disk remotely for you whilst it is still in the Ultra 2 Plus if you like.
Message 2 of 9
JB19701
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt response

I'm not too worried about losing the data on one of the mirrored disks. Once I've removed it from the Ultra, I'll check the remaining disk is fine.

Wasn't aware that I needed to delete the partitions, so thats handy to know. I'll give it a go & if I come unstuck I'll post back here.

Regards

John
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I agree with mdgm that you should do a backup first. Alternatively buy one new disk, put it in the RN314, and then copy/migrate as you wish.

The risk with your method is that if there is an undetected bad sector on drive 1, you will lose data (since once you pull out drive 2 you lose redundancy).
Message 4 of 9
JB19701
Aspirant

First stage complete - I've mimicked the share names on the new device & used Rsync to copy them all across.

I notice on the latest version of RAIDar, that there is an option to use disks that have previously been used in another device. Can I simply add the second disk now & format it in the 314 with this option?

Regards

John
Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'm not sure but I think this option is for if you have only put used disks in the NAS and want to wipe them all.

So instead of simply showing the corrupt root error on boot the NAS would prompt you that you may wish to format your disks if you have put used disks in.
Message 6 of 9
JB19701
Aspirant

So perhaps I could:

- Remove the now working disk 1 from the 314
- Install the remaining disk 2 from the Ultra
- Format it in the 314 then remove it
- Re install disk 1
- Install the formatted disk 2 & it should sync from disk 1?

Regards

John
Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure that that would work either. Will send you a PM.
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Destroyed the partitions off the disk to be wiped using "sgdisk - Z /dev/sdX" (no quotes and where X is the drive letter) and it is now resyncing.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements