× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connectivity

PeteCress
Apprentice

Connectivity

I have 10+ TB of data to copy from my Ultra-6 to a PC acting as a backup server.

Seems like it could be done a lot faster if I could direct-connect the two gigabit ports (Ultra-6 <==> PC).

Groped around a little and it wasn't happening.

Can anybody aim me at a real-life instance of this?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Connectivity

You can team the two NIC ports together, which can increase throughput when you have multiple clients.  Many of the teaming protocols require a managed switch (though the new R8500 router supports LACP teaming on two of its ports).  However, you won't see speed increases with only one client, because the teaming protocols intentionally aren't designed to do that.  Each data flow is limited to 1 gbit.

You can also connect the ultra to two separate networks.  Of course most users don't need to do that.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you have a gigabit switch, it won't be faster (at least not much).

That said, are you thinking you'd direct connect in parallel with your normal network connections, or that the only connection to the NAS and the PC would be the direct connect?

If the latter, the basic procedure is here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21414/~/how-do-i-direct-connect-between-readynas-and-p...

Message 2 of 4
PeteCress
Apprentice

> If you have a gigabit switch, it won't be faster (at least not much).

Case Closed...  Thanks

> That said, are you thinking you'd direct connect in parallel with your normal network connections, or that the only

> connection to the NAS and the PC would be the direct connect?

> If the latter, the basic procedure is here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21414/~/how-do-i-direct-connect-

> between-readynas-and-p...

I tried that earlier - and RAIDar found the Ultra-6 from the PC... but I couldn't get my compare/copy utility pointed at the Ultra-6.... figured it would just be 10.0.0.8\B   (the IP addr of the Ultra-6 and share "B")... but it was not happening for me.

Thankfully, in light of your advice about it not saving much time that's all moot.

Thanks again.

I'm guessing the second port allows concurrent connectivity to something-or-other.... but, being easily confused, I choose not to go there .... -)

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

You can team the two NIC ports together, which can increase throughput when you have multiple clients.  Many of the teaming protocols require a managed switch (though the new R8500 router supports LACP teaming on two of its ports).  However, you won't see speed increases with only one client, because the teaming protocols intentionally aren't designed to do that.  Each data flow is limited to 1 gbit.

You can also connect the ultra to two separate networks.  Of course most users don't need to do that.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements