× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Could not delete share due to snapshot deletion failure, Code 1004030000 OS6

SGT_Oldy
Aspirant

Could not delete share due to snapshot deletion failure, Code 1004030000 OS6

I have a ReadyNAS 316 OS 6.10.2 with 3x2TiB + 3x4TiB disks so currently at 12TiB. Seem to have a problem with one of my share folders. I am unable to delete a share due to a snapshot deletion error as mentioned in the title.

First noticed the problem when I was changing out two of the 2Tb disks with 4Tb disks. One of the disks was BOB, so sent it back. Was prio to that at 2,2,2,2,4,4 was attempting to go 2,2,4,4,4,4 but got stuck at three each 2&4 disks.

Yes, I saw there were several similar mentions of this in the forum but none gave me the solution. 

Currently I see I have:

5.32 TB Data,

5.97 TB Free,

1.42 TB Snapshots, (although there are NO snapshots on the system) and the one share (was Archive, renamed OldChive in an attempt to delete that way) I am unable to delete shows it is currently...

16,777,216.0Tb in size. 

I am attempting to migrate all data off the NAS onto drives--if I can get enough disks together to save it all--so to be able to reformat but would like to find the right answer. 

1) shows I have 1.42Tb of snapshots but have no snapshots.

2) have a share showing data consumed is well over 1K% the size of the whole NAS, and I am unable to delete the thing.

I don't want to go the route of SSH for warranty sake, although I don’t think it matters anymore, but will if someone can walk me through a little.

Ask anything you want to know if it helps get to the answer.

Oldy

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Could not delete share due to snapshot deletion failure, Code 1004030000 OS6

Clearly the file system for the data volume has become corrupted somehow.  The most conservative approach is to do a factory default, rebuild the NAS, and restore the data from backup.

If you purchased the NAS (new) between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016, then you have lifetime chat support at my.netgear.com.   You could try using that if you have it.

SSH is another possibility - using it to manually delete the snapshots and share.  You'd log in as root, using the NAS admin password.

You can list the btrfs subvolumes (e.g., shares and snapshots) with btrfs subvolume list /data

Then you can manually delete the ones you want to get rid of with  btrfs subvolume delete <path>

You need to use the full name in the path (e.g., it needs to start with /data/OldChive ).  When deleting snapshots you need to delete each one independently (something like /data/OldChive/.snapshots/XX/snapshot for each one).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Clearly the file system for the data volume has become corrupted somehow.  The most conservative approach is to do a factory default, rebuild the NAS, and restore the data from backup.

If you purchased the NAS (new) between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016, then you have lifetime chat support at my.netgear.com.   You could try using that if you have it.

SSH is another possibility - using it to manually delete the snapshots and share.  You'd log in as root, using the NAS admin password.

You can list the btrfs subvolumes (e.g., shares and snapshots) with btrfs subvolume list /data

Then you can manually delete the ones you want to get rid of with  btrfs subvolume delete <path>

You need to use the full name in the path (e.g., it needs to start with /data/OldChive ).  When deleting snapshots you need to delete each one independently (something like /data/OldChive/.snapshots/XX/snapshot for each one).

Message 2 of 11
SGT_Oldy
Aspirant

Hey  @StephenB 

First things first, you said the file system is become corrupted, any idea why or how to prevent it happening again?

Onto the current situation...

Thanks... not fixed yet but better understanding. You told me to use "btrfs subvolume list /data" to see what it was I could not before and to know what to delete. 

I used that and found:

ID 287 gen 245200 top level 285 path OldChive/.snapshots    (and / or)
ID 9439 gen 242748 top level 287 path OldChive/.snapshots/99/snapshot

Being hidden I could not see it before, so YEAH! now I can see what I want to delete. So I did cd data/OldChive/.snapshots

and entered this line

root@XXNASXX:/data/OldChive/.snapshots# rm -rf 99/

but from there I got about a bajillion lines listing each dir and file and

rm: cannot remove '99/snapshot/(each dir and each file of the dir)': Read-only file system

I tried to use the Admin page to try to change the permissions, as well as windows file expoloer but that did nothing helpful. I then used Google to find the Linux command to change the dir and files from R to RW.  However, chmod is not part of the OS, and I could not find any other commands.

If this was a Cisco, Dell, or even a dammed Brocade switch or router I could command line that thing with no problem, but I am not as good with Linux as I wish I was.

I looked back at my purchase info, I bought a diskless system off of Newegg on EXACTLY 5/31/2016. I will try during the day instead of evening to use the chat support, however do you know if they will be upset that I have accessed via SSH already? I have this NAS at home btw, maybe I am strange, but I like tech stuff lol.

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x1TB Desktop Drive
Message 3 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

If the NAS has made the file system read-only, then it has detected something it thinks could go catestrophically wrong if you write more to it.  There is really no way around that that I have found than backing up the data while you can, doing a factory default, and re-building.

Message 4 of 11
SGT_Oldy
Aspirant

@StephenB I read over your last a little more closely, and kicked myself!

You wrote:

"Then you can manually delete the ones you want to get rid of with  btrfs subvolume delete <path>"

and I somehow missed that the first dozen times I read your post. I did EXACTLY as you wrote starting with the longest path first:

(btrfs subvolume delete /data/OldChive/.snapshots/99/snapshot/)

and working down on down to

(btrfs subvolume delete /data/OldChive)

and IT WORKED! 

I just ran a Scrup, and that yellow section which was up to 1.7Tb is NOW GONE!

Message 5 of 11
SGT_Oldy
Aspirant

@StephenB Hey, I somehow clicked on my first reply to you as the "solution" do you know how to fix that?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless), RN31664D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Desktop Drive
Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you figured it out.  Subvolumes look like ordinary folders, but they aren't - and as you found, rm can't delete them.

It might be good to also run a balance.  That will scan the allocated data and metadata.  It will also consolidate more free space.

@SGT_Oldy wrote:

Hey, I somehow clicked on my first reply to you as the "solution" do you know how to fix that?

Yes, I've undone that, so you can pick a different post.

Message 7 of 11
SGT_Oldy
Aspirant

@StephenB Thanks again!

I ran Balance from SSH, figured that was going to be more intense and comprehensive. Wish I had been less tired when I read your first reply, would have solved the problem more quickly. 

I already selected that as the "Solution" and gave you a thumbs up.

Thanks for your knowledge and reply.

I haven't read your reply to my volume question post, expect I will be clicking another thumb there too.

Any recommendation on a Linux or Ubuntu to run as learning device, and or site to learn from?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless), RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x1TB Desktop Drive, RN31662D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x2TB Desktop Drive, RN31663D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x3TB Desktop Drive, RN31664D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Desktop Drive
Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@SGT_Oldy wrote:

Any recommendation on a Linux or Ubuntu to run as learning device, and or site to learn from?

ReadyNAS use Debian linux, but as far as learning goes I think ubuntu would also be fine.  You can create a "live" disk for either, so you can boot up a normal x86 PC under linux for either variant.

https://www.debian.org/CD/live/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Note these don't need to be bootable CDs, you can also boot from a USB drive or a thumb drive (if it has enough capacity).

There is also a ReadyNAS VM out there, though that is more useful if you are wanting to test a specific package w/o risking installing it in your main NAS.

I don't have a recommendation on a learning/tutorial site; it would be good if someone else chimes in on that.

Message 9 of 11
SGT_Oldy
Aspirant

Hey SandShark

Just wanted to let you know the solution was found, I was ignorantly trying to use “rm” to delete a “SUBvolume”. Subvolume being something I did not even understand was different that a standard dir.

I should have used the command “btrfs subvolume delete” one each dir in the subvolume. I did, after rereading when not tired the first reply by StephenB, the command posted, and it worked perfectly.

FYI to any reading, since I was already in SSH, I went ahead and ran “btrfs balance start /data” and will once complete—and maybe should have first—run “btrfs scrub start /data”.

I had started the scrub in the admin page, then ran SSH balance without thinking. The Scrub ran for a few seconds before it cleared-up the false Snapshot shown in the admin page. Once I saw the balance and scrub were running at the same time and I actually COULD stop just the scrub I did. I hope I didn’t screw anything up by doing that, but will see.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless), RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x1TB Desktop Drive, RN31662D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x2TB Desktop Drive, RN31663D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x3TB Desktop Drive, RN31664D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Desktop Drive
Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Hmm.  Odd that you were getting a "read-only file system" error instead of something that gave a better clue as to the problem.  But glad you got it worked out and it was actually something simple.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements