× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DLNA over the internet ?

Vyper007
Aspirant

DLNA over the internet ?

Hi All,

This may be a stupid question in more ways than one, but I'll ask it anyway cos the prospect intrigues me.

I've got all my media (music, photos and video) on my Readynas Ultra 6 plus, I've enabled DLNA on the device and I'm streaming my media using nPlayer on the iPad, on my LAN it works great, absolutely flawless and I'm really pleased I can stream directly off the NAS without computers/servers being involved in the mix. But what I want to know is can I extend this further and stream over the internet ?.

For example if I go to stay in a hotel and I'm on their WIFI how can I get access to my media, I want to use DLNA or similar if possible. So what ports would I need to open on my router, what kind of port forwarding would I need to setup ??.

I must stress I want to use my NAS and iPad only, no computers or servers in the mix (so I'm ruling out Air Video and StreamToMe etc).

Is what I'm proposing doable, what are the security implications of exposing my NAS to the internet and can it even be done ?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks
Message 1 of 9
ReadyJabba
Tutor

ReadyDLNA does that for me on my iPad. I think you need to have ReadyNAS Remote set up with users for it to work (I am on OS6).
Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You definitely need ReadyNAS remote (or some other VPN) if you are trying to get DLNA to work over the internet. DLNA is not designed to run over the internet, it depends on on broadcast packets which will not get past your router.

There are some other choices - for instance AVPlayerHD will connect to the NAS using FTP.
Message 3 of 9
TeknoJnky
Hero

check out subsonic
Message 4 of 9
doylmi
Guide

TeknoJnky wrote:
check out subsonic

+1 for subsonic (primarily for music)
Message 5 of 9
Vyper007
Aspirant

Thanks for the info guys, I'm more interested in streaming video though mainly, audio is only a small part of my media collection.

FTP might be a possibility, but again that doesn't sound very secure.

Readynas Remote again sounds doable but does that work on the iPad ?, I thought Readynas Remote was strictly computers ? and besides all which how would it cope with steaming video.

I essentially want something like Air Video or StreamToMe, but I don't want a computer in the mix I've just seen Air Video does exist as a third party add on for the ReadyNas but it doesn't seem to have great reviews.

I wish Netgear could just develop something like DSVideo that Synology have 😞
Message 6 of 9
ReadyJabba
Tutor

The app for ipad is called ReadyDLNA (Android too)

You sign on with your ReadyNAS Remote user login. It does exactly what you want, tho the usability is dependant on the quality of your connection.
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

AVPlayerHD doesn't support ftps, so the connection is not encrypted. It is password protected. You can also set it up to use a non-standard port (which I would recommend). I agree it would be better if it supported ftps.

ReadyNAS remote performance is usually limited by the Netgear servers, not your connection quality. I found it was hit-or-miss, so I stopped using it a while ago.
Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I had a similar requirement a while back, wanting to stream to my Android phone and tablet. Ready DLNA was OK'ish over my Gigabit LAN but very hit and miss outside of it as StephenB rightly says. I gave up on it and it coincided with me changing my router to an Asus AC66 and now I use the inbuilt AiCloud application to access my 4TB Duo v2 and a USB hard drive plugged into it. It works a treat over the internet with no additional server software required to be installed, it also allows me to grant permission to friends or family to access the flies if I want.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements