× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dead ReadyNas 312 Tech support won't help

LupoCo
Aspirant

Dead ReadyNas 312 Tech support won't help

A ReadyNas 312 that I placed with a client has failed. I called support, got a case number, put it in tech mode, opened telnet, and then nothing. No one from support has looked at it for for 3 days. I call in but am told it's in the support queue. I ask to speak with a supervisor but I'm told no one is available.

So I have a brick. The power light flashes, I can ping it, I've reloaded the OS twice, I see it in RAIDar, but no data. 😞
Message 1 of 9
LupoCo
Aspirant

Does anyone know how to recover the OS so I can get in and recover the data? I am restoring from backup to a different device but that takes a while
Message 2 of 9
markwoll
Guide

Put the ticket number in the subject line of your post.
What OS version?
This thread discusses mounting OS 6 disks. I have not tried it.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75900
Message 3 of 9
xeltros
Apprentice

Does 312 have an video out ? I think it has, so just plug and look at what the screen says.
I also think the 312 has removable memory, did you try with another RAM module ?

If you have no data on the NAS, you can factory reset (it will erase everything but will solve any software issue). If you have backup of your data you can try the reinstall OS, it shouldn't erase data.
Message 4 of 9
LupoCo
Aspirant

I tried to re-install the OS via the boot options but it wouldn't work, It appeared to be stuck in some boot loop.

Luckily I got through to a technician today and after about 3 hours the OS was reloaded and the NAS is back online.

The tech's name is Alex and he was a big help!

I'm still very disappointed that it took nearly 3 days to get support on a product that claims to be for businesses.
The case 23043099 was opened Wednesday evening about 7:30 pm California time.

thanks
Message 5 of 9
TobyE
Guide

I have the exact same issue on my readynas 312 and have tried the exact same steps. To add, I plugged in my monitor and the boot process ends after one step:
Loading INITRD.GZ........Ready
Then hangs.
I also have a brick! Have called tech support but have been on hold for an hour. I have spoken to Alex in the past and he has been great, but I'm just getting his voicemail. I'm sure he is quite busy.

LupoCo - Can you give me any insight as to how this was fixed?

Toby
Message 6 of 9
Marto731
Aspirant

ReadyNas 312 requiring Tech support mode

Toby,
Can you also put up a case #.
All I can say is that the Level 3 group have a case load too, and can't get around to every customer's case
straight away. The unit will need to be booted into Tech support mode. The Level 2 agents should be giving you directions.
You should not have to be queuing on the phone for an hour.

Regards, Marto
Message 7 of 9
TobyE
Guide

Marto,

Thanks for the reply. I did get through to support and my case number is 23081164. After telling the agent what was going on, he immediately escalated my case to L3? I left the unit in tech support mode and Alex telnetted in sometime later when I was not on site. Chris called me back and said that Alex's not was that he had deleted some log files and that Chris should call me back and we should try to reinstall the OS again. The box was in a different state when I came back. The power light was flashing and the disk access light was constantly flickering. This had not happened before. Chris had me reboot into the boot menu on the readynas and choose the option to reinstall the OS. This failed just as it did before alex did something over telnet. Now once again it sits with the power light on steady and the backup light lit waiting for telnet. I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Toby
Message 8 of 9
TobyE
Guide

Another 24 Hours and still not reply. This really sucks!!!
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements