× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk spin down or power down wakeup

BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Disk spin down or power down wakeup

I would like to set my RN424 and RN104 so that they sleep most of the time unless called up by windows explorer, a backup program attempt to access, an rsync routine, a streamer drive share access, or drive maintenance. Dont really use that regularly.

I know that there is a scheduled power up and down option and I could use that for scheduled backups by a third party backup program on a PC.

But is spin down or wakeup by LAN the best approach for anything else?  Does it work reliably on most recent firmware?

I need it to be reliable especially for my RN424 as it has been relocated to the basement due to the cycling noise the NAS makes with 10TB Ironwolf drives even at idle with no apps installed....some kind of Seagate drive routine I have read. Anyway, dont have easy access to power button.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

BJB

Model: RN10442D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay,RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disk spin down or power down wakeup

@BJB wrote:

I hear you on proving if spin down helps disc longevity.  If I used them even once or twice daily I would not spin down.  But that is not the case.

Other than one backup a week, my use of my NAS is absolutely random and not that frequent (once I have them setup right).  They could go a full 7 days without being accessed. 

Well, at the end of the day I have have spin-down enabled on my NAS.  I was just giving you my reason, which might not be the same as yours.  Which is fine of course, there is room for more than one view on the pros and cons of spindown.

@BJB wrote:

Reading all the input above.....it sounds like when I get my live-NAS to backup-NAS Rsync job setup (the Rsync one-time copy worked great, thanks) I can make sure that they are not spun down during those times so that one NAS to NAS share is copied. 

There's no real need to disable spindown when the backups are scheduled.  Even the 5-minute spindown is enough to keep the disks spinning while the backups are running.  I only turn off spindown on the main NAS when we tend to use it.   So media players won't have a big delay when we use them,  etc.  It's always on in the backup NAS.

@BJB wrote:

If simply using windows file explorer triggers the WOL, turning on WOL on the NAS units might be good enough for me. 

It doesn't (and your browser won't trigger it either). You need a utility that sends the WOL "magic packet".  So it's a way I can remotely trigger the NAS power-up, but there's nothing automatic about it.

@BJB wrote:

As far as my PC backup to the NAS using a PC backup imaging program that is another issue.  Turns out unless the PC is on at that time it won't run. 

My PC imaging software also runs on a power schedule (and windows has a way for the backup program to wake up the PC).  So I coordinate the two schedules on my desktop PCs - setting the NAS to power on at (for example) 12:00, and telling the backup to start the image backup at 12:05.  

I do the laptops manually, since I don't want them to power on automatically.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @BJB

Both features has it's own Pros and Cons. Both let's you save power if the unit is not in use or idle, they are configured differently but guides are always available online. Both are reliable but at the same time might not work as intended when used or configured improperly or not compatible with your setup.

Here are available links for you to check on the features that will help you decide what to use.

WakeOnLAN

Disk Spin-down

Power timer

Other community members might be able to recommend other options or tips on using the features.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 11
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  Does it steer me in a particular direction if I note I am not trying to save power, just reduce wear and tear on drives if spinning for say 7 days or a month and used once?

Thanks,

BJB

Message 3 of 11
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @BJB

Disk Spin-down can potentially extend disk life, also if your NAS is going to be idle for that long it would be wise to choose the Power timer as well.

As noted on the article: Allowing disks to slow or spin down when not being actively used can potentially save power and extend the life of the disks, but this can also slow effective read/write speeds and can make the disks appear to be off-line or cause time outs.

The new Power Timer setting is known as event-based Power Timer. Event-based Power Timer mandates a schedule for your ReadyNAS on when it should power on or off the device. Any time not selected will keep the device in the last known state. This provides a flexibility for between powering on and powering off the device for different days. Additionally, it allows you to keep the device powered off instead of turning back on. 

Regards

Message 4 of 11
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Marc_Vwrote:

Hi @BJB

The new Power Timer setting is known as event-based Power Timer. Event-based Power Timer mandates a schedule for your ReadyNAS on when it should power on or off the device. Any time not selected will keep the device in the last known state. This provides a flexibility for between powering on and powering off the device for different days. Additionally, it allows you to keep the device powered off instead of turning back on. 

Regards

Thanks.  I read the event based power timing KB a few times.  Perhaps I am missing something but what "events" wake up the NAS when off in this events-based mode?

BJB

Message 5 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@BJBwrote:

@Marc_Vwrote:

Thanks.  I read the event based power timing KB a few times.  Perhaps I am missing something but what "events" wake up the NAS when off in this events-based mode?

BJB

Typically, you would use Wake On LAN (WoL), a special packet sent by another device.  Unfortunately, OS6 does not have the ability to send a WoL packet prior to a backup, so doing this from another ReadyNAS is not an option.  I believe there is a suggestion in the Idea Exchange to add that, though.

One problem with that, though, is that while a NAS will hold off a power-down for an outgoing backup, I don't believe it will for an incoming one (because it doesn't know it's a backup job).  So if you don't know how long it will take, it could either turn off in mid-backup or stay on longer than necessary.

Message 6 of 11
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @BJB

With Event-based Power timer, you will have the choice on when the NAS will power on or off. 

Event means you choose the time that the NAS will power on or off. There will be no event to trigger the NAS to turn on and any time not selected on the grid will keep the device in the last known state.

So for example you have a backup scheduled between 00:00 - 02:00 then you will have to create an event where the NAS will power on before the scheduled backup then turn off after the backup has finished.

In a way this might not always be accurate since backup time may vary from time to time depending on the size of data, it will be better to set allowances on when the NAS will turn off.

Regards

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I think that @Marc_V has explained the pros and cons well, I'll just add what I use myself.

I have disk spindown enabled on my all my NAS.  On my main NAS, the disk spindown is scheduled for hours when the NAS isn't normally used - that eliminates the spin-up delay during our normal usage hours. 

While many claim that disk spindown extends disk life, I've never seen a real study on that topic.  Others claim that frequent disk spinups reduce disk life -  and I've never seen a real study on that topic either.   Since I've never seen any data on how spindown really effects disk life, I ignore that aspect - I enable disk spindown simply to reduce power use.  If you are concerned about too-frequent spinup, the simplest solution is to set a longer spindown timer.  For instance, if the timer is set to 1 hour, the disks can't spin up more than 24 times a day. 

My backup NAS are also on a power schedule (again to reduce power use).  The main operational impact is that they need to use "pull" backup jobs (hosted on the backup NAS themselves).  This ensures that the backup NAS is fully running then the backup stats, and that it doesn't shut down in the middle of a backup job.  Spindown is enabled, because the backups generally all complete within an hour, and there is no need to keep the disks spinning after the backup completes.

My backup NAS also have WoL enabled.  That allows me to wake them up from my PC, so I can check their status, upgrade their firmware, etc.  That is simply for convenience (particularly when I'm away on a trip).

Message 8 of 11
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks to both for your thoughts.

Stephen,

I hear you on proving if spin down helps disc longevity.  If I used them even once or twice daily I would not spin down.  But that is not the case.

Other than one backup a week, my use of my NAS is absolutely random and not that frequent (once I have them setup right).  They could go a full 7 days without being accessed.  So the events-based power timer (which basically operates the way I thought power timer On/off worked anyway, don't see the distinction) doesn't seem to be the 100% solution for me.  I can't predict the random times I am using and don't want to just spind down every night.

Reading all the input above.....it sounds like when I get my live-NAS to backup-NAS Rsync job setup (the Rsync one-time copy worked great, thanks) I can make sure that they are not spun down during those times so that one NAS to NAS share is copied. So that might be a forced "on" using the events-based power timer? So "on" during those times and "off" all others unless woken up by WOL.  Or is it "off" PLUS disk spin down?

If simply using windows file explorer triggers the WOL, turning on WOL on the NAS units might be good enough for me.  If I set the spindown timer to 24, they would stay spundown all day unless a WOL command is sent from say accessing the admin page or windows file explorer?  And then they would stay spun up for an hour? Is that right?

As far as my PC backup to the NAS using a PC backup imaging program that is another issue.  Turns out unless the PC is on at that time it won't run. When I next wakeup the PC I can run it and the NAS would have to be on but I could wakeup by just running windows file explorer before executing the backup since I am doing it manually anyway...

In short...I think?  I turn on WOL, turn on disk spindown with the appropriate number of hours, force a turn-on for my Rsync job using evets-based timer. Then leave on for disk spin-down to turn off until WOL triggers it again? 

Thanks,

BJB

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@BJB wrote:

Other than one backup a week, my use of my NAS is absolutely random and not that frequent (once I have them setup right).  They could go a full 7 days without being accessed. 

Well, at the end of the day I have have spin-down enabled on my NAS.  I was just giving you my reason, which might not be the same as yours.  Which is fine of course, there is room for more than one view on the pros and cons of spindown.

@BJB wrote:

Reading all the input above.....it sounds like when I get my live-NAS to backup-NAS Rsync job setup (the Rsync one-time copy worked great, thanks) I can make sure that they are not spun down during those times so that one NAS to NAS share is copied. 

There's no real need to disable spindown when the backups are scheduled.  Even the 5-minute spindown is enough to keep the disks spinning while the backups are running.  I only turn off spindown on the main NAS when we tend to use it.   So media players won't have a big delay when we use them,  etc.  It's always on in the backup NAS.

@BJB wrote:

If simply using windows file explorer triggers the WOL, turning on WOL on the NAS units might be good enough for me. 

It doesn't (and your browser won't trigger it either). You need a utility that sends the WOL "magic packet".  So it's a way I can remotely trigger the NAS power-up, but there's nothing automatic about it.

@BJB wrote:

As far as my PC backup to the NAS using a PC backup imaging program that is another issue.  Turns out unless the PC is on at that time it won't run. 

My PC imaging software also runs on a power schedule (and windows has a way for the backup program to wake up the PC).  So I coordinate the two schedules on my desktop PCs - setting the NAS to power on at (for example) 12:00, and telling the backup to start the image backup at 12:05.  

I do the laptops manually, since I don't want them to power on automatically.

Message 10 of 11
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @BJB

We hope we have helped you on your questions, It would be great to mark the appropriate reply as a solution by clicking on the accept solution button.

Other users will benefit and on this thread as well.

Regards

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements