× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Failed Power Supply Unit replacement options for ReadyNAS NV+?

stevepiercy
Aspirant

Failed Power Supply Unit replacement options for ReadyNAS NV+?

My ReadyNAS NV+ PSU died for the second time. PSUs are no longer available through Netgear, and replacements on Amazon are around $150.

Other than replacing the PSU, what would be options for migrating my drives to another chassis?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@stevepiercy wrote:

replacements on Amazon are around $150.

It can be done for a lot less if you are willing to modify the pinout on the PSU.

@stevepiercy wrote:

Other than replacing the PSU, what would be options for migrating my drives to another chassis?

You can mount the data volume in a PC running linux (most PCs can be booted up using a linux LIVE boot disk).  Then data can be copied off. See http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306

Netgear support can also assist if you migrate to a new OS 6 NAS - though it might not be free.  https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

If you have a stock ATX supply you can purchase an extension cable and modify the pinout in the extension cable (keeping the supply outsie the NAS).  That lets you boot the system temporarily and get the data off.

An RN214 (arm processor) or an RN42x (x86) would be reasonable replacement options.

Message 2 of 10
stevepiercy
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

It can be done for a lot less if you are willing to modify the pinout on the PSU.

If you have a stock ATX supply you can purchase an extension cable and modify the pinout in the extension cable (keeping the supply outsie the NAS).  That lets you boot the system temporarily and get the data off.

This option sounds cheapest/easiest, and my requirements have changed so I don't need a NAS anymore, just the data on the 4 drives.

Do you have links to additional information on where to purchase the stock ATX supply and extension cable, and instructions for how to do the modification? I would be very appreciative.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

The pinout mod is here: https://community.netgear.com/ejquo23388/attachments/ejquo23388/readynas-hardware-compatibility/1347... (right side).  You can do that on an 20-pin extender cable, and keep the original supply intact.  With an external ATX supply you'll probably need need the extender anyway.

FWIW, I think this Seasonic supply will actually fit the NV+ (but you need the mod above).  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151089

@Sandshark is an expert here, hopefully he will chime in.

Message 4 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't recommend that the mod be made in a 20-pin extender, because you then have only one 12V wire.  You need to use at least a 24-pin to 20-pin adapter, where you can get one additional 12V wire, which is good enough for a temporary solution.  For a permainent one, you really want to use the 12V from the CPU or drive cables to replace both the -5V and -12V inputs..

The Seasonic won't "fit" the NVX, but it can be used just like any ATX supply externally.  It has 2 12-volt busses and one won't have a load, so it's not a good choice for long term, either.

I'm actually setting up to sell the adapter and a cheaper alternative supply.  I wish they still had the Marketplace here in the Forum, as eBay plus PayPal fees really increase the price I will have to ask.  I don't plan to make a killing, but I do want it to be worth my time.

Message 5 of 10
stevepiercy
Aspirant

I'm seeking only a temporary setup, long enough to get my data off the drives and onto an external USB drive.

I don't understand how to wire up the Seasonic to the ReadyNAS NV+. Do I just unplug the ReadyNAS NV+s power supply pin connector, then plug in the Seasonic's?

@Sandshark if your retail price is less than $100 with less than two weeks shipping to the US, then you'd have a competitive price in the market. Overtek sells the PSU:

https://www.overtek.co.uk/products/netgear-readynas-power-supply-psu-replacement

Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

No, you need an adapter for the Seasonic.  You can't just rewire it because it has a strictly 24-pin motherboard plug, not one of the 20/24 dual purpose ones.  One with a dual 20/24 can be rewired.  You have to pull the -5V and -12V wires and at least one of them should be replaced with a +12V that is NOT from the other 12V rail in a dual-rail supply.

Message 7 of 10
stevepiercy
Aspirant

FTR, I have a friend who also has a ReadyNAS NV+ who was willing to copy my drives to an external USB drive.

I'm done with my busted ReadyNAS NV+ with its failed PSU. Anyone want it for free? You pay shipping. Else it's going into the eWaste collection within the next month, as I have plenty of other doorstops. Message me if interested.

Message 8 of 10
johnbenj
Aspirant

@Sandshark: Do you have a alternative available ? 

Message 9 of 10
stevepiercy
Aspirant

I ultimately went with using Backblaze, now that I have reasonably fast upload speeds after moving to a new home. Now I have off-site storage and a quieter workspace.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements