× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Getting -An error occurred during the log retrieval proc

convergent
Aspirant

Getting -An error occurred during the log retrieval process.

I'm trying to execute a backup job on a ReadyNAS Duo V2, backing up from another NAS using the Windows Timestamp approach. I've done two jobs that have completed and backed up about 1TB worth of data. Now on the 3rd one, that when I try to run it I get - "An error occurred during the log retrieval process." If I try to open the log, I get the same error. Not sure how to proceed.
Message 1 of 7
convergent
Aspirant

I tried deleting this backup job and recreating it, and reran the backup with the same result. Other backup jobs have run in the interim successfully. It will take me some time to verify if the files are actually getting backed up before the error occurs. When the backup job fails, it is giving this:

Error encountered copying data from the remote source path //x.x.x.x/backmain ==> /b-backmain/ due to unknown reason. Please see log. (Job backmain backup)

Then when I try to open the log file for the backup job, I get:

An error occurred during the log retrieval process.

I'm several days into setting up this backup NAS and not sure how to get around this problem.
Message 2 of 7
convergent
Aspirant

I checked the email notification and it indicated errors on a couple of VMWare virtual machines for files not existing, so I deleted the virtual machine and will try again. Still not sure why the log file won't open.
Message 3 of 7
convergent
Aspirant

I have this backup job working correctly now, but I can't get the log file to open without that error, and when it gets that error, the clear log file button is greyed out. I tried deleting the backup job and recreating it and the same problem persists. I gave it the same backup job name. It is rather time consuming to keep doing this, so wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to get out of this log file problem. I have 3 other backup jobs that the log file is fine, and they are all 4 essentially the same backup settings, just a different share on the main NAS and this backup NAS.

Thanks.
Message 4 of 7
convergent
Aspirant

I created a new backup job with a different name, but backing up the same share. The end result was the same. The job completed successfully, but trying to open the log file results in the same error. I am at a loss on how to fix this log file problem.
Message 5 of 7
Crabro1
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem on the same model of server. I too would appreciate help on how to delete the log - I guess that the problem will only get worse as the log grows with each daily backup.

Edit:
Problem solved. Whilst poking around the dashboard I discovered a way to clear the logs; under System -> Info, ensure that Logs is expanded (arrow pointing down) and click the <Clear Logs> button.
Message 6 of 7
convergent
Aspirant

I tried that before, and it didn't delete the backup logs, only the system log. So for me, that approach didn't solve the problem.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements