× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How Can I look at an Old Raid Volume to recover files Ready NAS 314

esscom482
Aspirant

How Can I look at an Old Raid Volume to recover files Ready NAS 314

Could Someone please suggest the best way for us to look at an old Raid 1 volume from our RN31400 to recover files.

4 months ago we had volume 1 in our Raid-1 setup of 2 x 3000GB fail and we ended up replacing both drives with Seagate Enterprise NAS 8TB drives. We rebuilt volume 1 from the remaining 3TB drive and once complete then changed out that drive.

All has been working well until today when we inadvertently were attacked by the Locky Encryption Trojan. The individual computer that had the email on it has been heavily encrypted and it also has made it onto our NAS drive but only into a small number of the folders.

I still have the original 3TB drive with the majority of the data still on it in its original form. 

Is it possible to access this original drive in say a dock or similar or even load it into one of the 2 x vacant slots (3 or 4) in the NAS so as to just copy across the required data to bring us back up to where we need to be.  We realise that we will lose a small amount of data from over the last couple of months but can retrieve this from backups etc. but it is the historical data that we would like to retrieve.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
esscom482
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen for your response.

I will try your suggestions with the USB 3 enclosure first to see if I can just copy off what I need to the Raid Volumes. if that should fail then I can always go back to putting the old drive back into the NAS as per your original suggestion.

Thanks again

Brad

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

One option is to power down the RN314, remove the disks (labeling them) and then insert the disk from the old RAID volume.  The NAS should boot.  Note that if you have updated the firmware after you switched to the new drives, the NAS will install the new firmware on the old disk.  After you have the data, just power down, restore the current drives, and then boot up again.

A second option is to mount the volume in a linux PC that supports btrfs.  There's an old thread here that might might be helpful: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-Data-Recovery-How-to-Mount-BTRFS-Volumes/m...

Message 2 of 7
esscom482
Aspirant

Thanks for your response and yes that will work for us. I will just have to find time to shut the system down to do so.

I was hoping that there might be a way of doing it with the new volumes in place so as to just copy the required data across from the old drive to the new array.  I guess life was not meant to be easy though.

Message 3 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello esscom482,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 7
esscom482
Aspirant

Thanks JennC,

I was hoping to possibly see if I receive any other suggestions before closing off this thread.  If none are forthcoming in the next few days I will then close it off as resolved.

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@esscom482 wrote:

I was hoping to possibly see if I receive any other suggestions before closing off this thread.  

You could maybe put the drive in a USB 3 enclosure, and connect to the USB port.  I don't know if the NAS will mount it, but if it doesn't you could go in ssh and manually mount it.

Message 6 of 7
esscom482
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen for your response.

I will try your suggestions with the USB 3 enclosure first to see if I can just copy off what I need to the Raid Volumes. if that should fail then I can always go back to putting the old drive back into the NAS as per your original suggestion.

Thanks again

Brad

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements