× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to access Readynas Duo V2 over the internet

yammax
Aspirant

How to access Readynas Duo V2 over the internet

Hello,

Is there a way to access the Readynas Duo V2 over the internet without installing the ReadyRemote or ReadyDrop programm?
On my office I'm not allowed to install any programm. And when I'm with my friends I also don't want to install anything onto their computers.
So when I need some files I would like to login into the readynass over the internet.

I got the readyDROP to work, but then I can see only the readydrop share.
Is there a way I can login and see my own shares?

Thanks for your reply.

Greetings Yammax
Message 1 of 7
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Re: How to acces Readynas Duo V2 over the internet

Hmm, well we're kind of limited when it comes to ReadyNAS Remote and ReadyDROP being taken out of the picture.
You could turn on FTP and forward port 21 to your NAS, use something like DynDNS, then use a web based FTP client that doesn't require install to connect.
www.net2ftp.com is one I used to use all the time.
Message 2 of 7
yammax
Aspirant

Re: How to acces Readynas Duo V2 over the internet

readysecure1985 wrote:
Hmm, well we're kind of limited when it comes to ReadyNAS Remote and ReadyDROP being taken out of the picture.
You could turn on FTP and forward port 21 to your NAS, use something like DynDNS, then use a web based FTP client that doesn't require install to connect.
http://www.net2ftp.com is one I used to use all the time.

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to take Readynas Remote and ReadyDROP out of the picture, but as far as I know ReadyNAS Remote can't be used without installing some software, and ReadyDROP can't access al the shares. How can I login as admin when I'm not in my local LAN?

I'l try the FTP solution.
Message 3 of 7
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

You are correct in that ReadyNAS Remote and ReadyDROP all require installation of software. If you cannot install software, then they are out of the picture.
You can use ReadyNAS Remote on a mobile device if you have one if you don't want to eliminate it as being an option.
Let us know how the FTP works out for you.
Message 4 of 7
yammax
Aspirant

readysecure1985 wrote:
You are correct in that ReadyNAS Remote and ReadyDROP all require installation of software. If you cannot install software, then they are out of the picture.
You can use ReadyNAS Remote on a mobile device if you have one if you don't want to eliminate it as being an option.
Let us know how the FTP works out for you.

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply, i've been on holiday.
I forwarded some ports in my router and the FTP and HTTP is working. Thanks for the tip.
I can also access my ReadyNAS over [external-ip]/webshare however I don't see any button to logoff so I don't know if this is a safe solution.

I still have one problem using any Android device.
When i acccess my ReadyNAS over [external-ip]/webshare I can see the shares, but I'm not able to open them.
In Windows I can open a share/folder by double-clicking it, but in Android it seems there's no way to open the share/folder.

I also don't understand why I can't open a share directly when I'm on my local LAN
When I enter [internal-ip]/pictures for example I would expect to see a list of files, but it doesn't work that way.

Kind Regards,

Yammax
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

On Android I use ES File Explorer (FTP)

in the browser, internal-ip/webshare should work on the local lan.

With FTP, this depends on the way the client (and your router) handles masquerading. My clients don't need masquerading over the WAN, so I have it turned off. With some routers, the masquerade creates problems, as some of them won't forward internal connections made to the router's external IP address back to the NAS.

In Windows explorer, you can also connect directly with \\internal-ip\pictures
Message 6 of 7
yammax
Aspirant

Hello StephenB,

I also use ES File Explorer on Android and now i enabled the FTP it works great, thanks!
I have a Sony Ereader and would like to download the ebooks from my NAS through Wifi, but the sony has only a webbrowser, i can't install any apps on it.
I was hoping to access the share IP_adress\webshare and then select my Ebooks.
But as I mentioned the shares won't open by double tapping it.

Thanks anyway for the tip using FTP on ES-explorer.

Greetings Hans
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements