× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to modify samba config with raidiator 4.2.31

zeke561
Guide

How to modify samba config with raidiator 4.2.31

I have a need, if possible, to enable SMB2 on an ultra 4 plus running raidiator 4.2.31. I have read that it is possible with this version of OS to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf to include specifications

min protocol = SMB2

max protocol = SMB2

in /etc/samba/smb.conf.

However, this file is auto-generated, so this does not work.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get this unit to enable SMB2? I know this is probably not the optimal long-term solution.

thanks

Message 1 of 14
zeke561
Guide

Re: How to modify samba config with raidiator 4.2.31

BTW I see that there is a file /etc/default/config/etc/samba/smb.conf on the system. Would editing this work?

Message 2 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

On an Ultra4, you are much better off upgrading to OS6.  Besides getting SMB3, you get a completely up-to-date OS and even the ability to move the drives over to a new NAS if you decide to upgrade or if your Ultra dies.

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

On an Ultra4, you are much better off upgrading to OS6.  Besides getting SMB3, you get a completely up-to-date OS and even the ability to move the drives over to a new NAS if you decide to upgrade or if your Ultra dies.

I agree that is the best approach.  You will need to back up all your data, since the conversion process is destructive.  Also, you won't be able to use Netgear paid support (since they don't support the conversion).

Message 4 of 14
zeke561
Guide

Yes, thanks for the adivce, I agree that upgrading to OS6 would be the optimal solution. For a few reasons it is not a viable option at this time. Running SMB2 is my desired workaround. I have no particular need for high performance, actually the SMB access is somewhat of a secondary function of this device.

BTW the last time I checked, I could not find the necessary files to upgrade. For example, in

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Ultra-6-OS-Upgrade-from-4-2-30-to-O...

there is reference to the needed files but no links to them unless I'm missing something. Can you point me to those files?

thanks

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@zeke561 wrote:

Can you point me to those files?

You can find the bios download here:  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin

@zeke561 wrote:

I agree that upgrading to OS6 would be the optimal solution. For a few reasons it is not a viable option at this time. Running SMB2 is my desired workaround.

You could try this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Enable-SMB-2-on-ReadyNas-x86-v4-2-3...

But I'm not sure if the setting will be sticky or not.

Message 6 of 14
zeke561
Guide

You could try this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Enable-SMB-2-on-ReadyNas-x86-v4-2-3...

But I'm not sure if the setting will be sticky or not.

It looks like I missed this reply, so belated thanks. Anyway, the procedure outlined in the link, editing /etc/samba/smb.conf is what I tried and does not work. I would try to edit the one in the default directory (/etc/default/config/etc/samba) but I don't want to cause problems I can't easily solve, since SMB isn't my highest priority for this machine and I can work around it.

Message 7 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you insure it was in the [global} section and re-bbot or restart Apache?

smb.conf may be overwritten.  I have found a better place to do such things is /etc/frontview/samba/addons/addons.conf, whihc is included by declaration in smb.conf.  That file does not appear to be overwritten by an OS update or re-install.  That's a two-edged sword, so make sure you get it right

Message 8 of 14
zeke561
Guide

Yes, the added lines were in the global section. I didn't notice the warning that the file is auto-generated at first. When I rebooted, I got a popup in the web interface about an error, but the system rebooted ok. However, the additions were gone. I am guessing that the file takes /etc/default/config/etc/samba/smb.conf as its base, and adds whatever it needs before writing to /etc/samba/smb.conf. I would hesitant to modify the file you mentioned, I don't see how I would modify it, and it seems like it could screw up the whole system. But thanks for the suggestion.

Message 9 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

You modify it in exactly the same way you would the smb.conf. (or create it if it's not already there). By declaration, it's an extension of smb.conf.  As best I can tell, it's a place where add-ons can put things that need to go in smb.conf without worrying about them disappearing.  You still need the [global} header for your entry.

Since addons.conf is included toward the bottom of smb.conf, anything in it generally overrides what's in smb.conf.

While it's on an OS6 system, here is an example from my NAS:

[global]
allow insecure wide links = yes
unix extensions = no
[ddclient]
  follow symlinks = yes
  wide links = yes
[hdsentinel]
  follow symlinks = yes
  wide links = yes

As you can see, I've made two changes to the global configuration and two to each of two shares.  I forget which SAMBA update changed the defaults and made me have to do this so I could link files in the apps folder to standard shares.

I checked on my RAIDiator 4.2.x virtual machine and this procedure is also applicable there.

Message 10 of 14
zeke561
Guide

Great, thanks, that is clear, I will try this the next chance I get. Hopefully I will make the upgrade to OS6 on this machine at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Message 11 of 14
zeke561
Guide

I'm somewhat confused. I tried your suggestion to add the min/max protocol lines to addons.conf, then removed the additions to addons.conf after I had initial troubles. After that I noticed that

[global]

min protocol = SMB2

max protocol = SMB2

are in the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf. They are buried in the middle somewhere, not where I added them originally. And above where addons.conf is added.

I guess the bottom line is that I can now connect from my windows 10 clients that could not  connect before. I'm not 100% sure exactly why.

thanks

Message 12 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Great for you.  But not so great for the next person who asks.  I may play with it a bit on my VM.

Message 13 of 14
zeke561
Guide

Yeah, sorry I don't have better feedback. I can say for sure that raidiator 4.2.31 will run w/ SMB2 enabled. I think your suggestion to edit the samba addons.conf is the best way to accomplish the change, given that the user is explicitly warned not to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf.

Long story short my main issue getting things working came from the fact that, as I understand it, windows 10 does not allow to connect to shares w/ guest credentials using SMB2.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements