× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Incorrect Consumed Storage

new11
Tutor

Incorrect Consumed Storage

Hey guys, I hope everyone is keeping well!

For some odd reason, there’s a share that is reporting an incorrect “consumed” amount in the local GUI of the NAS. The value returned is: “16777216TB” of consumed space!?... (There is only 304MB of files.) The PC is simply connected to the share via drive mapping.

I’ve destroyed the snapshots for that share, defragged, scrubbed and balanced the system. (RAID 1) at this point not too sure what to do. 

Has anyone ever come across this before, have any suggestions or should I just leave it be? 

I’ve attached a highlighted screenshot.  

Cheers

RN31200-Comsumed-Space.jpg

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Incorrect Consumed Storage

Try creating a temporary share, and use a backup job to copy the contents.  If that shows the correct size, you can delete the original share, and rename the temporary one to match the original's name.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Try creating a temporary share, and use a backup job to copy the contents.  If that shows the correct size, you can delete the original share, and rename the temporary one to match the original's name.

Message 2 of 4
new11
Tutor

Hi StephenB, 
Thanks for the suggestion, I suppose I should have said in my OP that I'm a little more curious as to why the system may be displaying this value, I was thinking of that but thaught i'd see if anyone had experenced it before. Thanks all the same. 🙂 

Cheers

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@new11 wrote:

I suppose I should have said in my OP that I'm a little more curious as to why the system may be displaying this value,

I get that.  I have seen this posted a couple of times before, but I don't know the cause.  The number happens to be 2**64 bytes (1 EiB).  That is the largest possible size of a BTRFS volume.

My concern is that this might not be benign.  Something isn't quite right with your btrfs on-disk structures for that subvolume (i.e. share), and that could cause problems for you later on.  So if it were my system I'd be working to fix it, using the method I outlined above. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements