× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Max volume and HD size for readynas pro running firmware 4.2.27

kupermanp
Aspirant

Max volume and HD size for readynas pro running firmware 4.2.27

So I've searched the net FAQ which is not geared toward the older firmware.  I have a pro pioneer 6 disk with the older 4.2.27 firmware and I am wondering

1) what the max capacity for the unit is?

2) what is the largest single drive I can put in?

I've recently reset the unit back to factory default and was going to max out the unit.  Is the best way to do this to just start with 6new disks in the machine  or should I add them in sequentially?

Thanks

Paul

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

With 4.2.x firmware, XRAID expansion is limited to 8 TiB from your starting point (whatever volume size you had after your initial install or more recent factory reset).  And the volume won't expand over 16 TiB.

However, the initial volume can be larger than 16 TiB, as long as all the disks are the same size.  For instance, you could do a factory install with 6x4TB drives in place, and end up with a 20 TB volume.  Or even 6x6TB (giving you 30 TB single redundancy or 24 TB dual redundancy).

If you aren't sure of your starting point (or go beyong the expansion limits), then a factory reset with the new disks in place is probably the best option.

It is also possible to install OS 6 on your pro - though it is not supported by Netgear, there are instructions here.  OS 6 doesn't have the expansion limits I noted above - but it would require a factory reset anyway, so you would need to rebuild the NAS and restore all the data from backups.  Many people here are running OS6 on their pro (though I am running 4.2.28 myself).

Message 2 of 3
kupermanp
Aspirant

Thanks.  That saves me a lot of trouble since I was originally going to expand the volume one disk at a time but that would clearly limit me.  With the current price of HD I think I'll give the OS 6 a shot.

Thanks

Paul

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements