× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrate from RN102 to...?

Jimo2012
Aspirant

Migrate from RN102 to...?

Hello All!

I am hoping you can all provide me with some advice...

I brought a RN102 diskless with 2 x 2TB drives in RAID 0 mode.  Works a dream...  Except PLEX.  (I use RAID 0 to get maximum storage (I back up everything seperately every now and then)

Anyway, I didnt realise at the time that the RN102 wasnt that great at transcoding.  Well, in actual fact, it just cant do it.  And whilst i have just lived with it and it works perfectly for storage etc, I want to start benfiting from being able to transcode to my different TV's around the house.

So i'm thinking of upgrading. I want to keep the same physical size so i'm looking at the RN202, RN212 or RN312...  The RN202 is the cheapest, and then, suprisingly the RN312 is cheaper to buy than the RN212. 

Which model would you suggest i get?

I would prefer to be able to just swap out my drives... (Take them out of the RN102 and put them into the new NAS) Is this possible without too many issues?

I will also be streaming 4K and / or 3D content?  Are they powerful enough to do this?

Thanks for your help 🙂

James

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Migrate from RN102 to...?

The RN21x is the best NAS for video transcoding.  It is spec'd to transcode 1080p to SD.  That spec would be for H.264, not H.265/HEVC.  Even the RN102 will stream 4K or 3D.  I don't think any ReadyNAS will transcode either (apart from the 716 perhaps).

You can migrate your RN102 disks directly to the RN21x.

The RN21x is a quadcore, the RN31x is a dual-core.  The RN31x is faster than the RN21x for operations that only use one or two cores.  But the RN21x is faster for operations can use all four.

To complicate the decision further, the RN31x has a longer warranty and free lifetime chat support.  The RN21x has the same warranty and support as the RN102.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements