× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating timemachine from ReadyNAS NVX to new 214

Dr_T_
Aspirant

Migrating timemachine from ReadyNAS NVX to new 214

1) I already backuped all shares from ReadyNAS NVX to 214.

How can I proceed with the time machine sparsebundles? I have SSH access to all devices and I know where to copy the sparsebundle files.

Up to now I tried this way:

I create a backup job on the NVX to backup the timemachine volume via NFS to a new share on the 214 (I named that volume TMBackup).

now I can see two sparsebundle directories in that TMBackup share. My idea is to change the file (directory) attributes to have a sparsebundle instead of a directory. Then I could copy this sparsebundle to the correct personalized '.timemachine/my-name' directory.

How can I do this?

Or does somebody know how to do this in a correct way?

Maybe I just can start a copy command via SSH (using NFS or another protocol)?

2) By looking at the possible backup job options (214) I found out that it is possible to backup the time machine but I couldn't find a way to restore such a backup. Time machine can only selected as the file source not in the target selection.

Model: RN214D43|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay,RNDX4420|READYNAS NVX 8TB DUAL GIGABIT DESKTOP NETWORK STORAGE|EOL
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Migrating timemachine from ReadyNAS NVX to new 214

You could start a test backup for each user to see what the ownership/permissions should look like on the new NAS then stop the backup, remove the backup sparsebundle using SSH, disable Time Machine on the new NAS and copy the data across and setup ownership/permissions correctly.

As far as the NAS is concerned the sparsebundle is a directory.

Message 2 of 3
Dr_T_
Aspirant

Re: Migrating timemachine from ReadyNAS NVX to new 214

Thank you very much for your answer. Good Idea to check the ownership/permissions first.

Maybe you can give me a hint, how I can copy the file from NAS to NAS. As far as I know there is no way to use the administration setup to enable NFS for the timemachine share.

I only have googled a way to copy via shh and tar:

ssh user@host 'cd ; tar -cvf - .' | tar -xvf -

but I don't know if this is working for directories (sparsebundle ) as well.

Thanks, Thomas

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements