× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ V2 + Dropped connections

FunX
Aspirant

NV+ V2 + Dropped connections

Hey,

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the NV+ v2 and dropped connections/box freezes when transferring large files?

Setup is 5.3.6, gigabit network, 4 x Seagate ST2000DL003 drives in X-RAID2 mode.

Tried to transfer multiple configurations of files ranging from 4-15GB and a minute into the transfer the connection drops, i cannot reach
the box via front view and it drops off raidar.

Will a downgrade help to say 5.3.2?
Message 1 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you open the Dashboard, go to System > Info > Info and hover over the "i" at the end of the line for each disk. What is the model and firmware version reported for each disk?
Message 2 of 19
FunX
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Can you open the Dashboard, go to System > Info > Info and hover over the "i" at the end of the line for each disk. What is the model and firmware version reported for each disk?

Reverted back to 5.3.2 and so far so good, no "i" on each disk in this FW version i assume as its not there.

Can live with old FW as long as im able to transfer large files without connections cutting out and box freezing.

Transfer speeds also seem better overall in 5.3.2 compared to 5.3.6
Message 3 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I was wanting to check what the firmware version was on each disk. Can you download the logs zip file and check via the disk smart logs?
Message 4 of 19
FunX
Aspirant

Jinxed myself a bit. 8.20GB into a 24.54 transfer all goes to hell again. Connections drop, box freezes and only way to gain access to front view/box is to pull the power cord.
Message 5 of 19
FunX
Aspirant

Disk 1: FW CC3C
Disk 2: FW CC3C
Disk 3: FW CC3C
Disk 4: FW CC32
Message 6 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disks 1-3 can be updated to CC3D: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=64510

Now it's possible you have a bad disk but still after resolving the problem you should update the firmware on the good CC3C disks and RMA disk 4.
Message 7 of 19
FunX
Aspirant

So basically i should just pull the CC32 disk from the box for the time being and upgrade 1-3?
Message 8 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you should backup any data primarily stored on the NAS, power down, connect disks 1-3 to an internal SATA port in your PC and update the firmware on those.

Now it's possible your current issue may be unrelated to the drive firmware issue though that should still be addressed.
Message 9 of 19
FunX
Aspirant

Didnt have any date on it as i wasnt able to transfer anything. Pulled disk 4 ( CC32 ) from the array and will test to see if that solves the problem to begin with
as i dont have a way to upgrade the disks ( no PC ). i assume i am not able to put the disk into a cradle connected via USB and upgrade them that way?
Message 10 of 19
StephenB
Guru

FunX wrote:
Didnt have any date on it as i wasnt able to transfer anything. Pulled disk 4 ( CC32 ) from the array and will test to see if that solves the problem to begin with as i dont have a way to upgrade the disks ( no PC ). i assume i am not able to put the disk into a cradle connected via USB and upgrade them that way?
I'm not sure if the upgrade would work through a USB adapter. It's probably worth a try though.
Message 11 of 19
FunX
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
FunX wrote:
Didnt have any date on it as i wasnt able to transfer anything. Pulled disk 4 ( CC32 ) from the array and will test to see if that solves the problem to begin with as i dont have a way to upgrade the disks ( no PC ). i assume i am not able to put the disk into a cradle connected via USB and upgrade them that way?
I'm not sure if the upgrade would work through a USB adapter. It's probably worth a try though.

After some searching its not. It needs windows to start off with.

Love paying 550$ for something i cannot use. Crappy Seagate stuff. The ironic thing is having an Ultra 4 with 1.5TB Seagate disks just beside the NV+
that work like a charm.
Message 12 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Seagate also has a boot CD available, so you can probably do this w/o Windows.
Message 13 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The link beisser gave should take you to a site where you can download the ISO file (it's in a zip file so after downloading the zip file you'll need to unzip it) which you can burn to a CD and then boot off. Assuming you have an ordinary PC not a Mac.
Message 14 of 19
samgill1
Aspirant

Hi, yeah I've got that issue as well. Slightly different to your own in that I had about 4.6TB of data on the system that I put on it when it was running 5.3.5, without the issue. Oddly enough I'm able to copy data off of the system without an issue, but copying / moving new files to it ( that are all over 1GB in size ) is proving impossible. I've managed to move 300MB worth of small files ( less than 20MB each ) to the system without an issue. I did try downgrading back to 5.3.5, but that didn't solve the issue.

I did move some data off of it yesterday, about 400GB worth, and I'm finding now that I can move large files onto the system without an issue. Almost implies that the system doesn't like having less than 800GB free on it. Either that or there was some crap going through something that's been cleared now and the more data I transfer to it, the higher the likeyhood that I'll have the error again.

Disk config is as follows :

Disk 1 - WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB (33 °C, Write-cache On). Status: OK - Firmware 51.0AB51
Disk 2 - WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB (36 °C, Write-cache On). Status: OK - Firmware 51.0AB51
Disk 3 - WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 1863 GB (36 °C, Write-cache On). Status: OK - Firmware 51.0AB51
Disk 4 - WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 1863 GB (33 °C, Write-cache On). Status: OK - Firmware 51.0AB51

They are all configured using XRaid.

I am finding odd errors in the smbd.log file :

[2012/09/25 07:30:01.414812, 0] lib/util_sock.c:1441(get_peer_addr_internal)
getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
write_data: write failure in writing to client 0.0.0.0. Error Transport endpoint is not connected

Almost implies that Samba has a comms issue.

I've opened a case with support ( 19512398 ), and I'm hoping that they will be able to solve the issue. Meanwhile, I'll be copying data off of this one and back to the NV+ v1 that it came off of in the first place. Just in case.
Message 15 of 19
cibgiu
Aspirant

HI,

I have the same issue and in the smbd.log same error.
[2012/10/09 00:37:47.976993, 0] lib/util_sock.c:1441(get_peer_addr_internal)
write_data: write failure in writing to client 0.0.0.0. Error Transport endpoint is not connected

Have you got a solution from Netgear?

Giuseppe
Message 16 of 19
FunX
Aspirant

So after finally getting around to upgrading my disks to CC3D it did not solve the problem.

Tried moving 6GB worth of stuff in a folder and its craps out about half way.

Starting to wonder if im better of cutting my losses with these shitty seagate disks and getting some WD
Message 17 of 19
cibgiu
Aspirant

Hi all.

I have many problems with files > 50mb.
The only thing is the free space on the nas, it was low (<10%).

Finally I added a third 2Tb drive in the NV+ v2 and now all file copy goes OK.

Giuseppe
Message 18 of 19
davexyz
Aspirant

I have the same issue
NV+ V2 3* 3Tb Seagate plus Samsung 2Tb in X-RAID2 firmware 5.3.6, 7.2TB space

Transfer files from 2 NV+ V1 systems via SMB, once the NV+ V2 has less than 10% free space, connection drops, delete files to free space, restart, files transfer until just less than 10% free space and connection drops.

I have new drives, all drive firmware is up to date and NO bad drives. Checked file systems etc

It looks as it is some limitation (bug) in the firmware Even if i I add another 3Tb drive as the systems stands I will still "waste" 10% space which cannot be filled.

This error as other posters from smbd.log file

[2012/10/19 09:42:32.102488, 0] smbd/process.c:79(srv_send_smb)
Error writing 62 bytes to client. -1. (Transport endpoint is not connected)
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements