× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ v2, drive fail, replace drive, unable to access volu

lsrcca
Aspirant

NV+ v2, drive fail, replace drive, unable to access volume

I have a NV+ v2, it was running with 3 drives (awaiting money to fill 4th bay) in XRAID-2.
I got reports that one of the drives was failing, so bought a replacement drive and inserted it in to the 4th bay.
The data volume was rebuilt. Raid sync finished on volume C.
Then a volume scan failed, now I can't access my shares and the log says:

The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume.

Is this recoverable?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Are you running 4.1.x or 5.x.x firmware?

If you running 4.1.x you have a v1 platform, not a v2. (yes, the labels are confusing... http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/)
Message 2 of 12
lsrcca
Aspirant

RAIDiator 5.3.11
Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Good to confirm the platform, thx.

If you have no backup, then I think paid support is your best option. (support.netgear.com).
Message 4 of 12
lsrcca
Aspirant

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if paid support will work before I fork out 60 quid to fix something that was supposed to be an expandable redundant system
Message 5 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

It is an expandable redundant system, however this does not preclude data loss or eliminate the need for a backup.
If one of the original 3 drives was failing, why did you put the new drive into bay 4?
Message 6 of 12
lsrcca
Aspirant

Because I could find no information online as to the best course of action. A new drive in a spare slot while a drive was failing (not totally failed) seemed like a more sensible idea. If this a bad idea, why is it not easily findable in official documentation or on this forum?
Message 7 of 12
lsrcca
Aspirant

Also, this is the backup. Is that not a suitable function for these devices?!
Message 8 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

Yes of course. If it's the backup then you have another copy of the data, which is good. Many of the users on these forums maintain multiple backups of data.
If it is the case that this is a backup then why would you need support? You can just recreate your volume and redo the backups.

The Netgear knowledge base is a good place to find answers to simple problems:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... v%2B-v2%3F

These forums also offer excellent and prompt advice from users.
Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

lsrcca wrote:
Because I could find no information online as to the best course of action. A new drive in a spare slot while a drive was failing (not totally failed) seemed like a more sensible idea.
The right course of action was to remove the failing drive and insert a replacement disk into the same slot. What you did was try to expand the array (increasing total storage). That doesn't solve the failing drive issue at all - in fact it puts more stress on all the drives.

lsrcca wrote:
Also, this is the backup. Is that not a suitable function for these devices?!
Yes it is.

So if you only use the NAS for backup, then you could do a factory reset with only the three good drives in place. That will destroy data and the configuration. Then reconfigure the NAS, and restore the data from the original source(s).

However this is your only copy of the some of the data, then trying the paid support data recovery option is probably your best recourse.
Message 10 of 12
lsrcca
Aspirant

The lectures on backing up and which drive slot I should have put the disk in aside...
It appears the failing disk still hasn't failed and all are showing as healthy. In that scenario, I have just tried to expand the system and it has lost connection to the volume. In my mind that is more troubling!

I don't want to have to re-collate all the data because it is a mix of my own DVD and CD collection ripped for easy access, archived research data, and an off site backup of my parents' photos (time consuming and geographically inconvenient).

I posted on here to find out if there was a quick and easy solution that I've missed in the knowledge base or on the forums, but if my two options are paid support or factory reset, then I guess I'll have to stick to those.
Message 11 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

I'd go for support.
The cost, even if it fails , is, in my opinion, worth it. At least you will have tried that option.

I must add that a ripped cd/dvd collection, given the amount of work that goes into ripping, tagging etc, probably needs backing up, as does data that is awkward or difficult to access. In the aituation where the nas is simply backing up data on other devices then that is different.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements