× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nas n314 locks up

lsyspsj
Aspirant

Nas n314 locks up

I have new N314 connected to my ESX5.1 server via NFS, when I powered up a guest os the NAS will lockup totaly with in 5 minutes. I have to power cuycle the NAS to get reconnected again.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance
Phillip
Message 1 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nas n314 locks up

What version of ReadyNAS OS?

What is the NFS thread count set to? Have you tried lowering the count to e.g. 2)?

Do you have bitrot protection or snapshots enabled?

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 2 of 19
lsyspsj
Aspirant

Version 6.2.2
Not sure where to adjust the threads for NFS?
Bitrot not enabled for this folder, I went ahead and turn it off and snapshot off for the other folders.

I will send the logs but I do not see anything useful.
I tried to run a Rsync backup to another nas device using a dedicated network and the performance for that was really slow.
I am comparing this to Iomega ix4-300d devices. This one job usually takes less than 8 hours just took the ready san over 24 hours.

Thanks for any help!!
Phillip
Message 3 of 19
StephenB
Guru

lsyspsj wrote:
...Not sure where to adjust the threads for NFS?...
System->services->nfs You'll see a popup which includes a setting.
Message 4 of 19
lsyspsj
Aspirant

Sorry I have not been back, I had a death in the family,
I tried to send the logs but got a bounce back on the email? What would the correct email be?

Thanks
Message 5 of 19
StephenB
Guru

It's in the "sending logs" faq in mdgm's signature the email address is mentioned.
Message 6 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you get the time please try lowering the NFS thread count. A count of 16 is way to high. Please also answer my other questions.
Message 7 of 19
lsyspsj
Aspirant

What other Questions? The bit rot is disabled,
At this point I am doing my testing in my lab. I have an HP360g6 server running esxi5.1, I have two networks setup, one is just for the datastore network attaching to the NAS VIA GB switch with Jumbo frames, the other network is for workstations and server access. On the Datastore network I have the Ready NAS and Iomega NAS.
When I run the Rsync job between the NAS devices i am using the DATAstor network. On the Ready NAS I watch the through put of the Nics and I am only gettting 11MB max.

Thanks again for any help.
Phillip
Message 8 of 19
lsyspsj
Aspirant

I forgot to mention I did drop the NFS threads down to 2.
Message 9 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you disable bit-rot protection before putting any data on the share?
Message 10 of 19
lsyspsj
Aspirant

That I can not say for sure. I created my new folder for the vmware files, is it turned on when you create a new folder?
Message 11 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Snapshots are turned on by default. For a new share created after the upgrade to 6.2 CoW is disabled by default (we link enabling/disabling CoW to enabling/disabling bitrot protection).

Looking at your logs there is a snapshot on the share. It would be best if possible if you could create a fresh share, make sure bitrot protection and snapshots are disable and try using that.

If you have a UPS, you may wish to consider enabling async: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14765/~/how-do-disable-nfs-sync-mode-in-readynas-os-6,...
Message 12 of 19
lsyspsj
Aspirant

The folder that I am using for this testing did not have the bit-rot turn.
Message 13 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What about snapshots? I think you created one looking at the logs you sent.
Message 14 of 19
lsyspsj
Aspirant

No that was also a default system setting for the default folders. I since have turned off all snapshots. I guess I am worried about the fact that the performance of the network is so slow? If I have gig connections why do I not see better than 10 MB of through put. especially when I am just reading and not writing to the disk? I have shut down the vm server so to try an offline copy of the datastor file and it still 8-11 MB through put.
Message 15 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send a fresh set of logs (see the link in my sig)?
Message 16 of 19
lsyspsj
Aspirant

Well since there is no reason for this device to performing so poorly I will be returning it. It is really sad that companies can not put out better products.

Thanks for everyones help.

Phillip
Message 17 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

8-10 MB of throughput sounds like you have connected it at 100Mbit not gigabit.

Could you try disabling Jumbo Frames. These may be configured incorrectly or not work with your hardware combination.

Disabling sync writes may help too (you should use a UPS if you use this).

Have you contacted our support team? There may be a different configuration issue or a tweak of some kind that may help.

You could also try our 6.2.3 beta firmware.
Message 18 of 19
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

lsyspsj wrote:
Well since there is no reason for this device to performing so poorly I will be returning it. It is really sad that companies can not put out better products.

Thanks for everyones help.

Phillip

Outch. should keep an eye's on the lock-up or hang. seems like a) bad RAM, b) software segfault.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements