× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New drive fails to sync

quattrose
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
There are options - one is that the chassis has become flaky, the second is that the drive model isn't that compatible. The Seagate DM drive isn't that well suited for NAS, but multiple drive failures doesn't seem that likely.

You could power down the NAS and move the WD drive to slot one. Then power up, and hot-insert the seagate into slot 2. It should then resync. If its the drive, then the SATA problem should move to channel 2.

If you do get another model, I suggest the WD20EFRX (not another WD Blue drive).

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear. I was under the impression that once I had a drive initialized in Bay 2 as the primary drive that I could not simply move it to Bay 1 without re-initializing. Is that not the case? BTW it is also a Seagate (1TB) not a WD not that it matters so much. I think I would return and go with your suggestion of the WD20EFRX but it'd be nice to know if it is the enclosure that's gone flaky instead.
Message 26 of 31
StephenB
Guru

You can move it with the NAS powered down. It will reinitialize if you hot-insert.
Message 27 of 31
quattrose
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
You can move it with the NAS powered down. It will reinitialize if you hot-insert.

When I shut down swap "good" drive from Bay 2 to Bay 1 and restart I get all lights blinking slowly and RAIDar say "Corrupt Root"
Message 28 of 31
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can reorder disks with the NAS powered off if an array is redundant but we don't recommend that. It doesn't help and can make fixing problems should they arise more difficult.
Message 29 of 31
quattrose
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
You can reorder disks with the NAS powered off if an array is redundant but we don't recommend that. It doesn't help and can make fixing problems should they arise more difficult.

Yes I have gone back to the original configuration and it is operating normally at the moment. Even was able to stream music. I'll give it some time and use.
Any other way to eliminates the enclosure itself as the source of the problem?
Message 30 of 31
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
How else can he rule out a SATA interface problem in the chassis?
Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements