× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No access to admin page after 6.9.3 update

Bruce_Panting
Aspirant

No access to admin page after 6.9.3 update

I've just updated the firmware on my forth ReadyNAS and now I'm unable to login to the drive. I've used multiple browsers with all of the cache cleared. I've also done a reset to initiate an OS reinstall.  I currently have a monitor and keyboard connect directly and will get to a login screen. Since I did an OS reset login is admin and Password has been reset to password. After which the screen jumps back to the login. I'm not getting an incorrect password window. If I access the drive from a web browser with the admin switch after the IP address I get the following message.

404 Not Found
nginx/1.6.2

If I use just the IP address I get the following message.

Welcome to nginx on Debian!
If you see this page, the nginx web server is successfully installed and working on Debian. Further configuration is required.

For online documentation and support please refer to nginx.org

Please use the reportbug tool to report bugs in the nginx package with Debian. However, check existing bug reports before reporting a new bug.

Thank you for using debian and nginx.

As mentioned earlier I've updated three other drives this evening.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: No access to admin page after 6.9.3 update

Perhaps you'd find this thread would be useful: After 6.9.3 upgrade I'm unable to access admin page through reverse proxy

Message 2 of 6
Bruce_Panting
Aspirant

We are hitting the limits of my computer skills. I'm not a programer so would this be done at the console of the drive? The issue would be is it only asks for login and password and stays stuck in this loop. For those following this thread this is the referred to solution.

Thank you, this gave me a hint at what I had to do Smiley Happy

What my reverse proxy was missing was simply to forward the headers. For anyone with the same problem, I had to edit my location block to read like this:

location /
    {
        proxy_set_header        Host            $host;
        proxy_set_header        X-Real-IP       $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
        proxy_pass_header       Set-Cookie;
        proxy_pass              <internal-ip-to-nas>;
    }

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Bruce_Panting wrote:

The issue would be is it only asks for login and password and stays stuck in this loop.

When you are using the console input (that is, not the browser) you should be logging in as "root", using the NAS admin password.

That of course doesn't explain the web browser issue.  I think @mdgm-ntgr is thinking that your PC might be going through a web proxy when you try to access the NAS web page.  If that's the case, then try removing the proxy from the PC configuration and see if that resolves it.  The post he linked to is what you'd need to have someone do in the web proxy server (not in the NAS, and not in the PC). 

Message 4 of 6
Bruce_Panting
Aspirant

Hi Stephan,

Thank you for the "root" login and password information which let me get to a command line. If I'm at the console is it equivalent to using the reset and selecting "tech support" then accessing the drive with telnet? The main issue I was having is I don't know Linux and was trying to find some command lines using the power of Google to restart or reset the OS. The issue is the directory structures don't seem to be the same across all the ReadyNas systems and the tips and tricks I was finding didn’t seem to match up. I was able to find the directories where all my data was which made it even more frustrating because I could see the data but not access it. For those reading this and wanting to help others the issue wasn’t with my web browser and having to reset the cache. I have over fifteen of these drives in my cloud account with another half dozen in other uses within our organization and have no issues accessing them through a web interface. Something happened during the upgrade to 6.9.3 which locked me out of the frontend of the drive. I tried to do an OS reinstall using the reset button feature but with no success. I even pulled the drives out of another unit and put them in this unit and it booted up fine just to confirm it wasn’t hardware related. Ultimately, I did a full factory reset and reconfigured the system in few minutes. Fortunately, my data is backed up to the cloud, but I was trying to avoid the terabyte of data I was going to have to recover. If Netgear reads this my wish would be to have a document showing what to type here and what to type there for the various systems or create an executable program that can reach out to the troubled unit and force a successful OS reset. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Bruce_Panting wrote:

If I'm at the console is it equivalent to using the reset and selecting "tech support" then accessing the drive with telnet?

Tech support mode boots directly from the flash.  You need to manually start the raid, mount the OS partition, and data volume, and chroot in order to get full access to the system.  The password for tech support mode is also different.

If you're using the console after a normal boot, then the system was booted from the OS partition and all the volumes are mounted.  And of course you can see the boot process itself.

There is a way to do an OS reinstall from the command line, but based on posts here I'd say that often won't resolve the issue you had.  Getting a service contract with Netgear might be worth considering - that would reduce your down time (and your direct labor costs) when issues arise.  Though that's only an option if the ReadyNAS was purchased new, as Netgear won't support used equipment (or OS 6 running on legacy NAS).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements