× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

jeremyotten
Aspirant

OK.. but cant someone download the apps.. extract them.. and then compile them so we can add them manual....
Message 76 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

KUDOS to whoever made READYNAS OS 6 work on older x86 units!
Makes me wonder if the same method can be applied to the ARM image as well?
It should be possible to find the upgrade script in frontview and disable the image check so we can install the vanilla image?

While this is progress, it sadly is not a permanent solution as long as we cannot use all features.
Are all the embedded apps working? Do the unit show up in READYcloud at all?
Anyone gone back to RAIDiator 4? Can the disks just be replaced back for some easy testing?
Message 77 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

bajorgensen wrote:

Makes me wonder if the same method can be applied to the ARM image as well?

Doubt it, but if you're game to try and it works then great. If you have a Duo/NV+ v2 you may be interested in this project (no support from NetGear for this, of course): http://natisbad.org/NAS/index.html
bajorgensen wrote:

It should be possible to find the upgrade script in frontview and disable the image check so we can install the vanilla image?

The script is encrypted so unless you can decrypt it that's not an option. Also I think there probably would be a check in the init script run on boot as well. That script is compiled as a stripped binary so you wouldn't be able to replace that. An option would be to make an add-on that grabs the vanilla image and creates a modified image from that and use the instructions widely available on the forum to do a firmware update via SSH but since this is unsupported anyway and has no support from NetGear you may as well just install SSH and do it manually yourself if you don't want to use the modified image that has been shared. The header contains the same md5sum as the stock image. The header at the start of the image is all that has been changed and if anything else had been changed the md5sum would be incorrect and the firmware image rejected. So I would say that it would be safe to use the modified firmware image that is available on the web.
bajorgensen wrote:

While this is progress, it sadly is not a permanent solution as long as we cannot use all features.

There is the option to buy one of the new models. Then you would be able to use all features. My beta RN312 unit is a new favourite in my ReadyNAS collection. They are great devices.
bajorgensen wrote:

Are all the embedded apps working?

Plex Media Server works for me. That's the pre-installed app that I've tried.
bajorgensen wrote:

Do the unit show up in READYcloud at all?

It does but pressing the backup button is required at the end of the ReadyCloud registration process. I guess the backup button device path must be different for the older models so they can't be registered to a ReadyCloud account and hence you can't use the old devices with ReadyCloud.
bajorgensen wrote:

Anyone gone back to RAIDiator 4? Can the disks just be replaced back for some easy testing?

It is possible to go back (e.g. doing a USB Boot Recovery) but you would need to do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) to wipe the disks and setup a new array.
Message 78 of 1,275
horim80
Guide

Hi Guys,

Updated OS6 firmware and did some testing.
It has fan and temp issue. and readycloud is not work. but else feature are working well.

I modified 4.2.22 header for downgrade to 4.2.22 from OS 6.0.4 😄
Wanna get it?
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Ybq6Y_C_1kVi0wV0sySjQwUXM/edit?usp=sharing

You can upload this frimware via OS6 GUI. then reboot.
You need to factory default after reboot.
Message 79 of 1,275
tiranor
Aspirant

Fortunatly, the community is way more active than Netgear on their legacy products 🙂
Message 80 of 1,275
super_poussin
Virtuoso

horim80 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Updated OS6 firmware and did some testing.
It has fan and temp issue. and readycloud is not work. but else feature are working well.

I modified 4.2.22 header for downgrade to 4.2.22 from OS 6.0.4 😄
Wanna get it?
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Ybq6Y_C_1kVi0wV0sySjQwUXM/edit?usp=sharing

You can upload this frimware via OS6 GUI. then reboot.
You need to factory default after reboot.

normal speed for fan is 125 so 50 is perhaps not enough
Message 81 of 1,275
pywong
Aspirant

Do you think it's possible to just edit /etc/sensors.conf and use sensord to control the fan speed?
Message 82 of 1,275
AMRivlin
Apprentice

Yes, I am running my fans a little loud/fast (it is in a closet) but I haven't experienced any over heating or other issues.

As for the genie/apps. After seeing it the offering and store, you will realize, you don't want or need it. It is reminiscant of google app store version 0.1

Sideload.
Message 83 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

bajorgensen, the same trick may work on the ARM image in the 6.0.4 zip file. But not sure if anyone has tested it. Since the newer ARM boxes are a more recent ARM CPU, there may be kernel specifics that won't work on the Duo v2 chip. If someone has an ARM box to risk, it can be tested.
Message 84 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

Nice one Horim! Should make it even easier to try out OS6, having an easy fallback.

mdmg:

Doubt it, but if you're game to try and it works then great. If you have a Duo/NV+ v2 you may be interested in this project (no support from NetGear for this, of course): http://natisbad.org/NAS/index.html

I am watching him. Very positive that he is commiting code upstream. I have a Ultra, but native linux support will be a plus for the community.
(and if he packages his development into an image that can be flashed, ARM users will rejoice! I am sure...)

The script is encrypted so unless you can decrypt it that's not an option. Also I think there probably would be a check in the init script run on boot as well. That script is compiled as a stripped binary so you wouldn't be able to replace that.

Argh! Why oh why do you do this Netgear?

There is the option to buy one of the new models. Then you would be able to use all features. My beta RN312 unit is a new favourite in my ReadyNAS collection. They are great devices.

They truly are. But for me, with a perfectly functioning Ultra 6, upgraded with custom fans, 4 GB memory and soon VGA output, I just need a SW upgrade.
And while some argue that OS4 will continue to be supported, that does noe seem to be the case IMO. Progress it voefully slow, and long outstanding issues are not fixed.
The only reason for me to upgrade would be for OS6 and HDMI output. If Netgear can make a proper media player with the HDMI out, that would be a single reason for me to upgrade.
But - with a history of abandonment that Netgear are showing now, I fear being left behind at the next crossroad. What is the life expectancy of the new units?
I had a DUO and was it was obvious that the SPARC platform was abandoned mid-life. Netgear has not redeemed themselves with the OS6 release. Quite the opposite.

bajorgensen wrote:

It is possible to go back (e.g. doing a USB Boot Recovery) but you would need to do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) to wipe the disks and setup a new array.

Do I need to do a factory reset even if I swap disks out, test OS6 on new disks, recover OS4 with original disks?
Message 85 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

If you are swapping disks, just USB boot recovery should be enough. The installed OS is on the disks themselves.
Message 86 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

jeremyotten wrote:
Can they be downloaded and installed manual?

Looks like a simple apt-get can fetch the apps; viewtopic.php?p=390362#p390362

And for apps that have the same name as packages already in the distro, you can pick the repo: viewtopic.php?p=389485#p389485 In that case, why do you need an icon in your GUI that a console only app is installed? Just install the base console app.
Message 87 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

bajorgensen, the same trick may work on the ARM image in the 6.0.4 zip file. But not sure if anyone has tested it. Since the newer ARM boxes are a more recent ARM CPU, there may be kernel specifics that won't work on the Duo v2 chip. If someone has an ARM box to risk, it can be tested.

True. Those SOC chips can be a bit pesky.
It is Armada 300 vs Armada 370 on the new units. I've looked at the source, and it seems like the 370 has a separate patchset.
Linux kernel 3.8 has unified ARM support, and I think it would make life much easier for Netgear going forward.

I was a bit surprised that they are using the 3.0 kernel. Maybe OS6 has been under development for too long,
or that Marvell only has a patch set to the 3.0 kernel. Has anyone done any analysis for the source yet?
It seems to me that OS6 is a hodgepodge of squeeze, wheezy, sid and experimental!?!?! (KUDOS for SAMBA 4.0.3, I _really_ want that)
Earlier it was easy to see Netgear patches, but this time I cannot see if there are any Netgear patches at all... 😞
Message 88 of 1,275
AMRivlin
Apprentice

chirpa wrote:
jeremyotten wrote:

And for apps that have the same name as packages already in the distro, you can pick the repo: viewtopic.php?p=389485#p389485 In that case, why do you need an icon in your GUI that a console only app is installed? Just install the base console app.

The only reason for the icon, is the ability to start / stop the app in question.

On a side note apt-get install htop puts an icon in my frontview
Message 89 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

And what good does that icon do? You can't start/stop a console/ssh interactive app.
Message 90 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

bajorgensen wrote:

I was a bit surprised that they are using the 3.0 kernel. Maybe OS6 has been under development for too long

NetGear mentioned the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel on FaceBook. I think that is based on the 3.0 kernel. So if NetGear is using GPL for the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel to get stuff to make BTRFS work that might explain why it is on kernel 3.0 on the x86_64 devices. Since the x86_64 devices are on that kernel then they'd probably want the ARM devices to be on the same kernel version to make it easier to update both OSes at the same time.
Message 91 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

bajorgensen wrote:

I am watching him. Very positive that he is commiting code upstream. I have a Ultra, but native linux support will be a plus for the community.
(and if he packages his development into an image that can be flashed, ARM users will rejoice! I am sure...)

An image that can be flashed would be great. He'd need to get something stable though. For the Intel boxes installing Debian would be much easier.
bajorgensen wrote:

mdgm wrote:
The script is encrypted so unless you can decrypt it that's not an option. Also I think there probably would be a check in the init script run on boot as well. That script is compiled as a stripped binary so you wouldn't be able to replace that.

Argh! Why oh why do you do this Netgear?

There are multiple reasons for this. One would be that they wouldn't want a competitor to be able to easily copy their work.
Message 92 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

mdgm:
bajorgensen wrote:
I was a bit surprised that they are using the 3.0 kernel. Maybe OS6 has been under development for too long

NetGear mentioned the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel on FaceBook. I think that is based on the 3.0 kernel. So if NetGear is using GPL for the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel to get stuff to make BTRFS work that might explain why it is on kernel 3.0 on the x86_64 devices. Since the x86_64 devices are on that kernel then they'd probably want the ARM devices to be on the same kernel version to make it easier to update both OSes at the same time.

3.0.70 was released mid March, there is no way Oracle has incorporated those changes yet.
Besides, I think most of the Oracle changes are backported enterprise features that are not applicable in the target market for Netgear.
It seems to me that Netgear has chosen to use the stock kernel from kernel.org, applied Netgear and Marwell patches against that.
Good choice getting a new kernel! Lets hope Netgear can follow mainline kernel and avoid having to backport a lot of fixed that will come "free" by using updated kernel.

There are multiple reasons for this. One would be that they wouldn't want a competitor to be able to easily copy their work.

Yes, I am sure competitors are drewling to get their hands on the lovely Frontview code base.... 😉
Message 93 of 1,275
MDPlatts
Aspirant

Ultra4 upgraded to OS6 here - had a few worries getting it to boot and factory reset but largely down to me being impatient, then trying to find out what the new admin password was threw me for a while (of course I didn't try the usual industry standard one - "password" until I tried all the usual netgear ones).

Seems very fast the interface - lightningly quick, especially compared to the glacial os4 stuff.

The SMART+ display seems buggy - partly because the disks are too close together on the screen and partly because it just displays in the wrong place and in a window too small. You hover over the disk green status on the performance page and it shows you the stuff but about 1cm too high and on IE10 it sometimes doesnt remove the window and you have to press F5 to get rid of it. Chrome does the same but at least the window goes away - but its very hard to point at the right disk you want to look at.

I'll put it back to OS4.2.22 soon unless netgear relent/come-to-their senses as I'll be flogging it and wouldnt want the new owner to be thrown in the deep end - unless I flog it at work.

M.
Message 94 of 1,275
AMRivlin
Apprentice

Why again will you return it to 4.2?
Message 95 of 1,275
MDPlatts
Aspirant

AMRivlin wrote:
Why again will you return it to 4.2?

Because its unsupported and I wouldnt want to have to provide tech support to someone possibly new to networks/nas how to put it back to v4.2.22. If/when (hell freezes over) and netgear wake up from their drug addled acid/extacy trip and an official upgrade becomes available then they can do that for themselves. Sure we might sort out the fan speed thing and get apps installing but its just too risky at present. If its someone from work, then I can offer them the chance and they would be more tech savvy anyway as I'd only offer it to the others in IT.
Message 96 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

BTW: I found a place for cheap long VGA cable, anyone tried theese?
http://www.pccables.com/07129.html

Finally got my cable and for anyone in the US with an Ultra 6 this is a no brainer.
I payed $20 for international shipping, but it was worth it.
The cable is long enough to be permanently installed in the chassis,
just poke out the little metal piece covering the VGA cutout in the metal chassis.

If I load the patched 6.0.4 img in post 3 using FrontView, can I later revert back to 4.2.22 img from the v6 Frontview (or whatever they're calling it in 6) or is this a one way trip?

Yes! It was surprisingly easy! Big shout out to mgdm for modyfying the string in the 4.2.22 image, so READYNAS OS think it is a 6.0.5 upgrade, rather than a downgrade.
The original disks were detected and after a file system check and reboot all was back to normal.
A bit dissapointed that OS6 would not detect the SW RAID set from 4.2 though... (it was building the new xraid, so maybe that was causing it)

Poking around in OS6 for an hour or so, I must say this is the one everyone has been waiting for!
Sure, it is a bit rough in some edges, and there are some design faults IMO, but overall it fixes most gripes people has with RAIDiator...
Given some time, OS6 will be excellent!
I am actually quite ready to do a data migration and factory reset to OS6, but future compability makes me a bit uneasy.

Not supporting OS6 on old units (at least x86) is an idiotic buisness decition. Sure, there are costs, but I guarantee that Netgear will loose a lot of future buisness.
Anyone with half a brain knows that the current series easily will run OS6. So product managers: when your market share starts dropping, look no furter thant the bathroom mirror.

So I have now started in earnest looking for alternatives testing Debian 7, ubuntu and Windows 2012 server.
I must say all of them run smooth, but most of all I am truly impressed with windows 2012 on a dual core 1.66 Mhz Atom with 4 GB RAM.
Since windows does no longer give you the option of creating SW RAID during install, I tried Intel HW RAID, but the RAID set kept failing.
Not sure if it is the old drives I was testing or if it is a HW bug. Anyone knows how to replace the Intel ROM in the BIOS?
Right now I think the best option will be to boot windows from a USB drive and use ReFS on the internal drives.
Message 97 of 1,275
AMRivlin
Apprentice

@MDPlatts: I think the old linux kernel/os and lack modern functions of OS4 is worse than using OS6 with loud fans. But i do hear your valid concerns, and to each their own.

For the record, there is zero chance Netgear ever officially supports os6 on legacy devices. That ship has sailed.
The best thing OS4 users can hope for is a 4.2.23 bug patch.
Message 98 of 1,275
MDPlatts
Aspirant

Just noticed that whilst some times in the display are in BST (british summer time), the logs are in GMT (greenwich mean time) - e.g. one hour earlier.

Also just seem to have crashed the gui creating a share - its gone all rotating egg-timer on me setting ownership/permissions and doesnt seem to be coming out (though the log says its finished).

There will be more serious bugs than UI funnies but these niggles should be simple to fix and I'm sure they already are in some beta around the corner.
Message 99 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I wasn't the one who modified the firmware image.
Message 100 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements