× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

audiokaas
Aspirant

I'm running OS6 successfully on a ultra4.
Questions though.

I forgot to update the bios, can I use the old addon or do i revert and use the add-on
    I have teaming with LACP running. but WOL no longer works, anybody know a trick (I found the new BIOS might solve it?
    I keep losing connection to my APC UPS after each reboot, I use a management card on the UPS so APC mib file is used

Other than these niggles running solid. 😄
Message 101 of 1,275
ahpsi1
Tutor

+1
audiokaas wrote:
I keep losing connection to my APC UPS after each reboot, I use a management card on the UPS so APC mib file is used

Which BIOS ver should should be used with the Ultra 4, or for that matter any Ultra? What about the ProV1?
Message 102 of 1,275
MDPlatts
Aspirant

Back on 4.2.22 - didnt want to wear the fans out and it needed clearing for sale anyway.

V6.0 looked good, very fast UI, flaky in some areas but a vast improvement in speed and some welcome new features. Even AV seemed to work - though the overall status page was never quite sure if I had any apps installed (sometimes there were 2, sometimes none).

The C: volume seemed 200GB or so smaller than under V4 XRAID-2 (3.95 vs 4.1x) and took a long time to initialise - over 22hrs for 4 x 1.5TB drives.

Wake up Netgear. Time to get of your laurels and earn your crust - charge by all means, but fix (I'm sure you are doing this) and make V6.0 available to older gear (even at the cost of a reformat). Though it shouldn't be beyond the bounds of difficulty to make the new O/S see/use/support the existing ext4 file system - the linux kernel would have no issues (unless you removed it) and assuming the o/s partition is big enough (which from the os.bin file size it looks to be - V6 is 6MB smaller) and there is enough room to expand/install the kits (and if not, force a wipe)).

M.
Message 103 of 1,275
gearvault
Aspirant

MDPlatts wrote:

Wake up Netgear. Time to get of your laurels and earn your crust - charge by all means, but fix (I'm sure you are doing this) and make V6.0 available to older gear (even at the cost of a reformat). Though it shouldn't be beyond the bounds of difficulty to make the new O/S see/use/support the existing ext4 file system - the linux kernel would have no issues (unless you removed it) and assuming the o/s partition is big enough (which from the os.bin file size it looks to be - V6 is 6MB smaller) and there is enough room to expand/install the kits (and if not, force a wipe)).

M.

I agree 100% :slap:
Message 104 of 1,275
schumaku
Guru

ahpsi wrote:
... Performance graphing history is lost on a reboot (not sure if this is true for 'real' OS6 models). ...
It is true... :cry:
Message 105 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

audiokaas wrote:

I forgot to update the bios, can I use the old addon or do i revert and use the add-on

You don't need to downgrade.

# apt-get update && apt-get install dmidecode && apt-get install flashrom

Download the add-on and extract the contents of it, extract the contents of the files.tgz then run the flashrom command mentioned in the install.sh script (modifying it to point to the path where you put the ROM.
Message 106 of 1,275
neonero
Aspirant

Hi all,

I installed R6 on a Readynas Ultyra 2. The fan speed is too loud 5355 rpm. Is it possible to reduce the speed ?

Other thing, On volume we can choose between only X-Raid and Raid 1. Is it possible to have normal volume (without volume space loss).

My NAS appear as a RN314 on the volume panel.
Message 107 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

I am running jbod on my RN102. The OS reports both volumes as RAID-1, but they are not.
Message 108 of 1,275
MDPlatts
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
I am running jbod on my RN102. The OS reports both volumes as RAID-1, but they are not.

I think its more that he wants one RAID-0 (striped) volume rather than two smaller volumes - but that would be one way and with some work you could balance the space usage (and get better performance too perhaps) by careful placement of the shares.

I can't remember all what my Ultra4 offered me (though it did say it was an Ultra4 rather than one of the newer models) but I remember RAID-5, RAID-6 and RAID-10 - so RAID-0 would be the logical other choice (RAID-1 being a little silly on a 4-disk unit with 4 disks selected - I didnt try fewer).

M.
Message 109 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

I don't recommend spanning the RAID-0 volume over two disks, as a failure of either drive will cost you all the data. You are better off taking the time to balance the space usage manually.

However, my main point is that OS6 has a bug here. When you are in flexraid mode, and choose to create a volume with one disk it does tell you that is RAID-1. It is GUI confusion, as the volume is clearly RAID-0.
Message 110 of 1,275
audiokaas
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
audiokaas wrote:

You don't need to downgrade.

# apt-get update && apt-get install dmidecode && apt-get install flashrom

Download the add-on and extract the contents of it, extract the contents of the files.tgz then run the flashrom command mentioned in the install.sh script (modifying it to point to the path where you put the ROM.

Thank you it worked. 😄

I used
tail -c `head -n 1 bios-addon.bin |awk -Fsize= '{print $2}' | cut -d, -f 1` bios_addon.bin |tar -xvOf - files.tgz|tar -xzvof -

To extract the files
There was a peculiarity with the flashrom chip as flashrom reported a chip used for the ultra 2
I flashed the ultra4 rom without specifying the rom chip and it worked.
Message 111 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

audiokaas wrote:
There was a peculiarity with the flashrom chip as flashrom reported a chip used for the ultra 2
I flashed the ultra4 rom without specifying the rom chip and it worked.

Specifying the chip is not required. I added it for extra protection if it were run on the wrong model somehow.
Message 112 of 1,275
Woodzzter
Aspirant

neonero wrote:
Hi all,

I installed R6 on a Readynas Ultyra 2. The fan speed is too loud 5355 rpm. Is it possible to reduce the speed ?

Other thing, On volume we can choose between only X-Raid and Raid 1. Is it possible to have normal volume (without volume space loss).

My NAS appear as a RN314 on the volume panel.

I believe it is possible (although I have not upgraded to OS6 at this stage) to set the BIOS to manage the fan speed however you need a serial/terminal connection to do this to get access to the BIOS settings. I believe there is another thread somewhere on here about this but I cannot remember exactly where.
Message 113 of 1,275
AMRivlin
Apprentice

The fan edit link is in post 3 of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=70133&start=30#p390130
Message 114 of 1,275
Woodzzter
Aspirant

That link is for updating the fan speeds on the FrontView page. I think the original question was about controlling the fan speed as OS6 on older ReadyNAS devices simply runs the fan at full speed (unless I have read this wrong somewhere) and does not regulate fan speeds based on temperature sensors.
Message 115 of 1,275
ahpsi1
Tutor

So - outstanding issues running OS6 on a 'legacy' (in my case a first generation Pro BE) device would be:

fan control isn't functional
Temp graph has no data
OLED display never goes to sleep

and item(s) that will not be addressed:
Genie App store cannot run

From a performance standpoint more memory would be recommended (I swapped in a Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5C 4GB kit) and the 'phone home' apps should be carefully removed.

Has anyone implemented a cron job that takes care of the fan issue? Can the OLED display be instructed to power off via a CRON job?
Message 116 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your NAS doing a resync (if it is the OLED display would stay on)?

You should hopefully be able to turn off the OLED display via a cron job. It would be a matter of finding the right path for your device.
Message 117 of 1,275
ahpsi1
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
Is your NAS doing a resync (if it is the OLED display would stay on)?

You should hopefully be able to turn off the OLED display via a cron job. It would be a matter of finding the right path for your device.

Good point! I've added drives several times since the system came up and I believe I was still mid-expansion the last few times I was able to view the display. I received the email indicating it has completed just last night - I'll check the unit when I get home and see if that is all it was.
Message 118 of 1,275
AMRivlin
Apprentice

My Pro6 running os6 has never turned off the LED. It says "AMRNAS" 192.168.XXX.XXX

During boot it says "booting..." and preboot it says "ReadyNAS"

I guess it will just burn it out eventually?
Message 119 of 1,275
sventunus
Aspirant

Quick question, sorry if the answer has already been given somewhere in the previous pages and I missed it: could anyone tell me which version of Debian (if any) OS6 is based on and which kernel is being used? Thanks!
Message 120 of 1,275
AMRivlin
Apprentice

uname -r
3.0.70.RNx86_64.2.1

cat /etc/*release
PRETTY_NAME="ReadyNASOS 6.0.4"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="7.0"
VERSION="7.0 (wheezy)"
ID=debian
Message 121 of 1,275
sventunus
Aspirant

Thanks AMRivlin!! Nice to see that OS6 is based on wheezy, what a relief from etch on 4.2.x from a dev's point of view! 🙂
I'm updating my Ultra 6 somewhere in the near future. Outlook says I'll be having some time to spare starting next week, fingers crossed it'll remain that way. Really looking forward to enjoying a fresh web UI & especially more ease at hand building softs for the RN! Etch has caused me some serious headaches... To infinity & beyond! 🙂
Message 122 of 1,275
neonero
Aspirant

I thank you' all for your answers.

The command for the fan speed is :

echo 80 > /sys/devices/platform/it87.2576/pwm1

But my Radynas Ultra 2 seems noisier than it was before.

The new R6 interface is faster and nicer.

I don't understand why they didn't implement a file manager (like in Synology) to perform copy and paste files between folders created in /data.

In the shares menu we can only delete and download the files ?.
Message 123 of 1,275
tiranor
Aspirant

I guess ajaxplorer will still be the way to go...
Message 124 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

Sventunus, I wrote earlier:

I was a bit surprised that they are using the 3.0 kernel. Maybe OS6 has been under development for too long,
or that Marvell only has a patch set to the 3.0 kernel. Has anyone done any analysis for the source yet?
It seems to me that OS6 is a hodgepodge of squeeze, wheezy, sid and experimental!?!?! (KUDOS for SAMBA 4.0.3, I _really_ want that)
Earlier it was easy to see Netgear patches, but this time I cannot see if there are any Netgear patches at all...

Even tough it reports wheezy, it seems to me like Netgear is pulling packages from where it makes sence.
For instance wheezy will ship with 3.2 kernel, with some extra features, and some backported fixes from later mainline kernel.
Netgear might have done the same with their kernel. 3.0.70 does not exist in the debian tree AFAIK, and is very fresh.
They are also shipping SAMBA 4.0.3 from experimental to my knowledge.
I've looked at the source and there was quite a progress, even within the OS6 minor versions development.
The inital 6.0.0 shipped with 2.6 kernel for some odd reason. I suspect ARM patches...

I spoke to an admin in a debian rich environment during the weekend, and he would not touch btrfs until 3.5 kernel.
Again, strange decision on Netgear part. btrfs is definetly the future, but why not ship a more mature version.

(disclaimer: Netgear might have backported a lot of btrfs fixes, (they do for RAIDiator) but that seems like a strenious task to me.
Or there might have been some backports to the mainline 3.0.x tree that I do not know of...)
Message 125 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements