× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's very odd. When you downgraded to 4.2.22 did you check that the downgrade was successful before inserting your old disks?

Are you sure you just had your 4.2.22 drives installed? Did you install the drives in the same order as before (not essential but preferable)?
Message 176 of 1,275
Govnah
Aspirant

Yes, I labeled the drives accordingly and yes verified the downgrade was successful. However I downgraded to 4.2.21 instead of 4.2.22 and I think that is where I made the mistake. Am I toast? I have opened a service ticket with NTGR support.
Message 177 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

Hangover Sunday, so I am poking around a bit, breaking stuff and reinstalling a few times.
I've found out that the disk structure is btrfs over standard md RAID.
The code drop for btrfs RAID5/6 was in february and btrfs-tools and thus probably btrfs itself is from january.

So the on disk raid structure is essentially unchanged.
OS6 ships with btrfs-convert, I wonder if it is possible to do a conversion and a simple OS reinstall instead of a factory reset?
Will OS6 accept the converted disks?

Does anyone know how to access the internal flash, or extract the contents to a bootable USB drive?
If succesful does anyone know how to package the changes back into the bin file?
Message 178 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

Govnah, I think there is a 4.2.22 recovery image somewhere.
If not, just take your spare disk, factory reset and upgrade to 4.2.22
then reinstall original disks again.

What were your issues with OS6?
Message 179 of 1,275
Govnah
Aspirant

bajorgensen wrote:
Govnah, I think there is a 4.2.22 recovery image somewhere.
If not, just take your spare disk, factory reset and upgrade to 4.2.22
then reinstall original disks again.

What were your issues with OS6?

Thanks for the reply and I will try what you suggested. My issues were the fans and the LCD display. I know a little Linux but not enough to install the packages mentioned previously to address those issues. If I could address the fan and LCD issues I would prefer OS6.
Message 180 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A conversion might be possible but it is not without its risks. It's likely that NetGear has not tested such a conversion. Also simply doing an OS Re-install would likely not be enough as the OS is so different. You would likely need to wipe the OS partition before installing the new OS onto it. It would be more trouble than what it's worth for a user to attempt such a conversion.

The ReadyNAS uses md RAID not the RAID feature built into BTRFS.
Message 181 of 1,275
sventunus
Aspirant

bajorgensen wrote:
Anyone with an actual Ultra 6 running OS6 without LCD? (no Pro's)
The driver should support the following controllers:

*  Supports: IT8705F  Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
* IT8712F Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
* IT8716F Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
* IT8718F Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
* IT8720F Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
* IT8721F Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
* IT8726F Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
* IT8758E Super I/O chip w/LPC interface
* Sis950 A clone of the IT8705F
* IT8758F Super I/O chip w/LPC interface (8721)

Anyone care to check dmesg output and see if it is detected? Maybe it is a simple configuration issue.
lm-senors is in the repository, just do an apt-get install lm-sensors

I own an Ultra 6 bajorgensen.
Haven't got OS 6 running on it yet, planning to migrate somewhere during this week. I'll check the dmesg output and will let you know.
Message 182 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

Sven, me too. And as stated the fans run appropriatly for me. It is the Pro model I was referring to.
Message 183 of 1,275
demetris
Aspirant

Ahem,
Here is how you gain Genie access.
Note:
I may get ban from here so make sure you circulate around web for all others to copy as quick as possible
Readynas Model 104 has 12 numbers for serial so wont do for us but Readynas 312 has 13 😄
Here is a generic one: (dont use this)
3C61310M00106

Now go copy yours and place it under this and follow this layout to get your official genie access:
So your Number becomes:
3C6NNN-0M-NNNNN

Example
Lets say your serial is
2EE888RL00099
It transforms to
3C68880M00099
Magic! 😄
Enjoy your new nas
Message 184 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

Thats nothing to get banned over.

All NTGR products have 13 digit serials. If its 12, its likely a beta unit, or had an error in factory to not have a valid serial number; so it falls back to MAC address as the serial number displayed (12 digits).

Genie uses a pre-defined serial list, you can't just make one up to work. They get a batch of systems created at the factory and build a serial list from that for Genie use. Same for routers like WNDR3500v2 that have Genie also.

Then, even if you had a valid serial number, it is pulled from the motherboard DMI info and fed to them via a binary/cgi (run 'strings' against fwbroker.cgi/libreadynas.so). There isn't a text file you can modify to have it pass a new fake serial number.

So non-issue at the moment.

And Genie at the moment is still alpha in my eyes. Look at the website for it (hard to navigate pages, slow, no search, designed in 1990s?, etc), look at the available apps, look at the pissed off developer community for it, look at the lack of billing options for International users. I don't see getting Genie working as a goal of the OS6 unsupported upgrades. I could see developers making their own 'app stores' and selling/donationware their .deb files for the Local Apps install option coming in next version.
Message 185 of 1,275
demetris
Aspirant

Thanks for clearing this up to us chirpa, because next edit was the hostname to reassemble newer units.
Saved me a lot of time, thanks again.
Message 186 of 1,275
greyt
Aspirant

I am toying with the idea of moving one of my Pro 6's to OS6. Can anyone clarify :-

Is there an easy way to ensure there are no fan or LCD display issues?
Has anyone used ISCSI support?
Has anyone used Jumbo frames
Is there any reason why the system should be faster / slower with the new disk format?
Do the same limitations exist that you cannot expand a system in place from below 16TB to above 16TB without a complete format? (wondering whether to buy new disks before the OS6 install)
There has been a long standing issue with the Pro 6 where the Nics fail under high load. Has anyone seen this issue when OS6 is installed?
Any other issues, regardless how small?

Thanks!
Message 187 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

Looks like the poor product launch is coming back on them.

http://news.investors.com/technology/041613-652044-netgear-stock-falls-after-forecast-falls-short.htm?ven=yahoocp,yahoo wrote:
Shares of Netgear (NTGR) were down 8% early Tuesday, after the networking equipment maker late Monday preannounced Q1 results that dipped below analyst views due to weaker-than-expected shipments for a new line of data storage hardware.

At the center of the shortfall is Netgear's ReadyNAS line of data storage products. In a statement, Patrick Lo, Netgear's chief executive, said the company had "experienced difficulty in the transitioning of our ReadyNAS line, which caused shipments to be lower than demand from our channel partners."
http://news.investors.com/technology/04 ... oocp,yahoo
Message 188 of 1,275
Royan
Aspirant

demetris wrote:
Hello for the Fan problem on Utra 6 you might find useful this:
http://pkgs.org/debian-wheezy/debian-main-amd64/lm-sensors_3.3.2-2_amd64.deb.html
And you may need these:
http://pkgs.org/debian-wheezy/debian-main-amd64/libc6_2.13-38_amd64.deb.html
http://pkgs.org/debian-wheezy/debian-main-i386/lsb-base_4.1+Debian8_all.deb.html
http://pkgs.org/debian-wheezy/debian-main-amd64/perl_5.14.2-20_amd64.deb.html
http://pkgs.org/debian-wheezy/debian-main-amd64/sed_4.2.1-10_amd64.deb.html

sudo apt-get purge lm-sensors
dpkg -i *.deb
etc
then
#yes "" | sensors-detect

Hi.
I'm a linux noob with a hankering to learn, so I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions about demetris' post quoted above.
Sorry if I'm sidetracking this thread.

1. For me (Pro 2) dpkg -s lm-sensors show that it's not installed. So why purge lm-sensors?
2. Why use dpkg to install locally downloaded packages? wouldn't apt-get install lm-sensors or even apt-get install -t wheezy lm-sensors get the same packages

brgds
Royan
Message 189 of 1,275
gearvault
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:

http://news.investors.com/technology/041613-652044-netgear-stock-falls-after-forecast-falls-short.htm?ven=yahoocp,yahoo wrote:
Shares of Netgear (NTGR) were down 8% early Tuesday, after the networking equipment maker late Monday preannounced Q1 results that dipped below analyst views due to weaker-than-expected shipments for a new line of data storage hardware.

At the center of the shortfall is Netgear's ReadyNAS line of data storage products. In a statement, Patrick Lo, Netgear's chief executive, said the company had "experienced difficulty in the transitioning of our ReadyNAS line, which caused shipments to be lower than demand from our channel partners."

well sorry but this may be a turnaround and Netgear will listen to the community (or what is left)

... :lol: Naaaaaaaaah
Message 190 of 1,275
tiranor
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:

Not surprising at all, i imagine the client being sold Pro6s, 4200s 2 months ago and getting told that their product is a dead end...
Message 191 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Patrick Lo suggested there were supply issues not demand issues. NetGear wasn't able to ship as many units as they could have sold had they been able to produce them in time. It sounds like the new products were probably released later than they had anticipated. It will be interesting to see if there is a ReadyNAS related comment regarding the Q2 results.

As the transition is still in progress (the diskless RN516 only came in stock earlier this week in the US) there may be an impact into Q2.
Message 192 of 1,275
Woodzzter
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Patrick Lo suggested there were supply issues not demand issues. NetGear wasn't able to ship as many units as they could have sold had they been able to produce them in time. It sounds like the new products were probably released later than they had anticipated. It will be interesting to see if there is a ReadyNAS related comment regarding the Q2 results.

As the transition is still in progress (the diskless RN516 only came in stock earlier this week in the US) there may be an impact into Q2.

Having dealt directly with Australian Disties and Netgear product reps in the past for previous ReadyNAS stock issues this has ALWAYS been the case and ReadyNAS (business) devices are hard to get. Has taken us weeks if not months in the past waiting for stock so (IMO) I do not see this as being more of an issue now than previously
Message 193 of 1,275
ahpsi1
Tutor

Very interesting reading. NTGR stock @ an eighteen month low, rumors of acquisition interest by Cisco (not likely, they just sold Linksys to Belkin) and Juniper, and as MDGM mentioned insufficient product shipped (partially due to a late ReadyNAS launch) mentioned as a key reason for the weak quarterly return. They are taking a hit on profit margin, too.

Patrick Lo seems like a no nonsense kind of guy, arrived in the US with $170 to his name, described as "tough, aggressive and ruthless" by those who knew him, enjoyed visiting with customers and is clear about "his duty to shareholders and his company's need to avoid passing unnecessary costs down to its customers, mostly individual consumers and small businesses". Would be interesting to hear his take on the OS6 / legacy device conundrum.
Message 194 of 1,275
neonero
Aspirant

demetris wrote:
modprobe it87

modprobe coretemp

You will get what modules needed and where to put them /lib/modules/etc/etc/it87.ko
then go get them
BTW Thats why the fan is full speed!
Fix this and you fix the fan speed too

I installed the modules manualy, but the fan still in full speed and noisy 😞

I have Ultra 2
Message 195 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

Does anyone know how to access the internal flash, or extract the contents to a bootable USB drive?
If succesful does anyone know how to package the changes back into the bin file?

Please, if someone could help me with this, I could get a bit further...
For the life if me, I do not understand why that disk is so hard to mount?
Have they hidden it somehow?
Message 196 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

You can see the boot flash in tech support mode; http://netgear.nas-central.org/wiki/TechSupportMode
Message 197 of 1,275
super_poussin
Virtuoso

neonero wrote:
demetris wrote:
modprobe it87

modprobe coretemp

You will get what modules needed and where to put them /lib/modules/etc/etc/it87.ko
then go get them
BTW Thats why the fan is full speed!
Fix this and you fix the fan speed too

I installed the modules manualy, but the fan still in full speed and noisy 😞

I have Ultra 2

where did you find those module for R6 ?
Message 198 of 1,275
Royan
Aspirant

This post, maybe?
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=70133&p=391427&hilit=It87#p391427

But in my pro 2, the drivers are compiled into the kernel.
All I did was run
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
yes "" | sensors-detect
sensors

and it just works.

Brgds
Royan
Message 199 of 1,275
bajorgensen
Aspirant

chirpa:

You can see the boot flash in tech support mode; http://netgear.nas-central.org/wiki/TechSupportMode

I want to mount it within RAIDiator. It is a standard vFAT USB connected disk...
Did Netgear actively prevent it from being mounted ?

Since the Netgear OS is pretty slim, we have lots of free space.
I was thinking to just drop an extra kernel+inird and add a boot option.
I've done a bit of research and Ubuntu core would fit the bill perfectly. (less than 40 MB)
Could start an automated install or sshd for user to start the installer themselves.
Once Ubuntu is installed, I ws thinking http://www.zentyal.com/ would be a good webGUI alltough it is more SMB oriented.
That would also give users who wants support a commercial option.

I was also thinking to add a ext4 -> btrfs conversion for those who wish to run OS6.
Message 200 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements