× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

sirozha
Aspirant

If I went the BIOS fan control route, what BIOS version should the ReadyNAS Pro 6 (ver. 1) be running, and where do I get the upgrade and the instructions on how to upgrade it?

Also, is the fan control in BIOS any good? I cannot have loud fans.

Thanks!
Message 476 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try with the BIOS currently on your NAS.

It may be a little louder than it was running 4.2.x. If you don't like it you can easily change the setting back.
Message 477 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

For you OS6 Guru's out there not following this thread:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=71155

Would you kindly take a peek and lend some insight as to what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to enable temperature graphing in the GUI. I've been struggling with this for about four hours now and my temperature graphs are still empty. . . :nashammer:

Thanks in advance!
Message 478 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

About Dynamic DNS (which i need), I have seen this 4-5 year old post, but would it work on a OS 6 system ?
viewtopic.php?p=110351
Or is there any other solution (linux package ddns?) because RN6 is a modified debian wheezy/sid, like this one for exple :
http://wiki.debian.org/DDNS or http://packages.debian.org/stable/ddns3-client
(please note: I am not familiar with any linux distrib)
Anybody here could give me a hint on this ?
It would be VERY much appreciated
Message 479 of 1,275
MACDaHac
Aspirant

Upgraded to 6.0.8. on my Ultra 2, ReadyCloud seems to work now, though still checking other stuff.
Message 480 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

Thanks for reply, could you enlighten me a bit on ReadyCloud :
My ultra2 will have dynamic IP from my ISP on my main location (or it will be changing country in Europe were each provider has a specific ADSL box), does using ReadyCloud requires for client-user to install ReadyNas Remote (for 4.2.23)? or does Netgear provide a workaround with ReadyCloud, in order to provide http/s access without installing any software ?
Message 481 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To get remote access to your NAS via https you would login to readycloud.netgear.com

You wouldn't need to install any client on your PC though you would if you wanted to use ReadyNAS Remote, ReadyDROP etc.
Message 482 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

So even PCs, outside the LAN, could connect to the NAS 'through internet' ?
(sorry if my questions sounds dumb but I can't find precise information on readyCloud saying that i won't need a DDNS if my ISP assigns me IP dynamically).
Edit : I played with OS6 on chirpa's VM, and read again lots of stuff on readycloud.
Message 483 of 1,275
rozza1
Aspirant

Thanks for the great information in this thread! I have recently purchased a readyNAS ultra 6 to replace an original Duo. It is mainly to back up important family photos. I am happy fiddling with hardware but no nothing about unix. I am keen to get OS 6 working (although in the short term I will need to keep the Duo as a print server) as I think in 3 or 4 years it will be difficult to recover any data if the ultra fails with the now unsupported firmware... I know I still need another back up.
I have installed OS 6.0.8 and all seems well (accepting no print server) except the loud fan. I have installed a VGA header and USB keyboard to try and adjust the fan settings in bios (the software solution is way beyond me and I worry I will stuff something up) but in my version of BIOS (flame 6-2 1.1) I can only monitor health not adjust any of the fan settings.
I am not keen on the software solution which leaves me with 4 options:
Sell on Ebay and replace with a different brand NAS
Update bios and then use bios fan control
Replace chassis fan with adjustable fan e.g. thermaltake smart fan II and use manual or thermistor control
Install completely different OS on the readynas

Any advice on options 2-4 would be much appreciated.

Roy
Message 484 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What is the date of the BIOS on your NAS?
Message 485 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

It does but pressing the backup button is required at the end of the ReadyCloud registration process. I guess the backup button device path must be different for the older models so they can't be registered to a ReadyCloud account and hence you can't use the old devices with ReadyCloud.

bajorgensen wrote:
So to be clear: everything works as advertised for me, except the Genie marketplace, readycloud and the front backup button.
I get message in front panel: "press backup to register" but nothing happens when I press the button.
The device appears in readycloud with the correct name, model and serial.

MACDaHac wrote:
Upgraded to 6.0.8. on my Ultra 2, ReadyCloud seems to work now, though still checking other stuff.

I understand that readyCloud consists on many features in one, and for new readyNAS, readycloud is supposed to offer access to NAS's files from everywhere. But, on my legacy x86 running RN6, would users be able to connect to download with a http address some files ? Does the https access is currently working, or do I have to wait until someone finds a way to make the backup button to work ?
Sorry to be annoying, mdgm, but this is the last thing that is stopping me to 'upgrade' to R6.
Message 486 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

arnomc wrote:
I understand that readyCloud consists on many features in one, and for new readyNAS, readycloud is supposed to offer access to NAS's files from everywhere. But, on my legacy x86 running RN6, would users be able to connect to download with a http address some files ? Does the https access is currently working, or do I have to wait until someone finds a way to make the backup button to work ?
Sorry to be annoying, mdgm, but this is the last thing that is stopping me to 'upgrade' to R6.
You can provide http access to files w/o readyCloud (with a ddns address and port forwarding in the router). Would that meet your requirements?
Message 487 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

This is exactly what I am looking for (and what I'm currently doing on 4.2.23) so I still need a simple access with an http address but unfortunately my IP is dynamically assign, therefore I'll still need a DDNS on OS6 which currently doesn't exists on OS6 :'( . Is there any solution to do it with a debian package ?
Message 488 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

arnomc wrote:
... but unfortunately my IP is dynamically assign, therefore I'll still need a DDNS on OS6 which currently doesn't exists on OS6 :'( . Is there any solution to do it with a debian package ?
Most routers will do ddns, you can also download a PC client. Any device on your network will work, as they all use the same external IP.
Message 489 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

Yes True 🙂 . I am a bit stubborn on this,I know :lol: . The reason is that I will be changing countries through Europe every 3-5 months (during few years) and in some they have special "internet box" (which are modem+router+TV, and the router is not making DDDNS at all) I would have like to avoid travelling with a router for just DDNS. But if there is no DDNS debian package, I'll be stuck with this choice : R6 w DDNS problem or stay in 4.2.x.
Thanks for your advice.
Message 490 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

OS6 BIOS Upgrade Instruction Request

mdgm wrote:
You can install flashrom via apt-get and extract the contents of the add-on and install the ROM manually but you would need to make sure to choose the correct ROM. Checking the existing BIOS version should confirm which ROM to need to use, but if you are still in doubt ask here.

So I'm ready to take the plunge into attempting the BIOS Upgrade. I have a total three ReadyNAS's. My primary Pro unit is still running RAIDiator 4.2.23; I've already upgraded that one to BIOS v2.0 (easy day!). However I have an old Ultra 4 and another Pro that are both running OS6 v6.0.8. Anyone willing to type out some detailed instructions (or present a preexisting link) on how to do it from the command prompt or whatever would be very much appeciated! I've already tried this (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29284&hilit=Pro+CPU&start=195#p399077), but no joy. . .

Thanks in advance!
Message 491 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have to install dmidecode and flashrom via apt-get. Then download the add-on onto the NAS and extract the contents of the add-on .bin manually, look at the contents of install.sh and run flashrom manually. Do make sure to check the current bios version and make sure to attempt to flash the correct BIOS.

I haven't tried this recently but it did work for me some months ago so I presume it would still work.
Message 492 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
You have to install dmidecode and flashrom via apt-get. Then download the add-on onto the NAS and extract the contents of the add-on .bin manually, look at the contents of install.sh and run flashrom manually. Do make sure to check the current bios version and make sure to attempt to flash the correct BIOS.

I haven't tried this recently but it did work for me some months ago so I presume it would still work.

So I understood everything you just said with the exception of "and extract the contents of the add-on .bin manually". A little command line syntax (or an example) would go a long way (allow me to remind you --> Andreas = LINUX IDIOT) :oops:

Thanks again!
Message 493 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

# dd if=ADDONNAME.bin bs=16384 skip=1 | tar -xv
# tar -xvf files.tgz
Message 494 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

Success! Thank you for that!

BIOS Before:
bios_date=09/20/2010
bios_vendor=American Megatrends Inc.
bios_version=080016
board_asset_tag=
board_name=ReadyNAS
board_serial=
board_vendor=NETGEAR
board_version=
chassis_asset_tag=
chassis_serial=
chassis_type=3
chassis_vendor=NETGEAR
chassis_version=
modalias=dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr080016:bd09/20/2010:svnNETGEAR:pnReadyNAS:pvr09/20/2010ReadyNAS-NVX-V2V1.9:rvnNETGEAR:rnReadyNAS:rvr:cvnNETGEAR:ct3:cvr:
product_name=ReadyNAS
product_serial=
product_uuid=03000200-0400-0500-0006-000700080009
product_version=09/20/2010 ReadyNAS-NVX-V2 V1.9
sys_vendor=NETGEAR
uevent=MODALIAS=dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr080016:bd09/20/2010:svnNETGEAR:pnReadyNAS:pvr09/20/2010ReadyNAS-NVX-V2V1.9:rvnNETGEAR:rnReadyNAS:rvr:cvnNETGEAR:ct3:cvr:

BIOS After:
bios_date=08/23/2011
bios_vendor=American Megatrends Inc.
bios_version=080016
board_asset_tag=
board_name=ReadyNAS
board_serial=
board_vendor=NETGEAR
board_version=
chassis_asset_tag=
chassis_serial=
chassis_type=3
chassis_vendor=NETGEAR
chassis_version=
modalias=dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr080016:bd08/23/2011:svnNETGEAR:pnReadyNAS:pvr08/23/2011ReadyNAS-NVX-V2V1.10:rvnNETGEAR:rnReadyNAS:rvr:cvnNETGEAR:ct3:cvr:
product_name=ReadyNAS
product_serial=
product_uuid=03000200-0400-0500-0006-000700080009
product_version=08/23/2011 ReadyNAS-NVX-V2 V1.10
sys_vendor=NETGEAR
uevent=MODALIAS=dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr080016:bd08/23/2011:svnNETGEAR:pnReadyNAS:pvr08/23/2011ReadyNAS-NVX-V2V1.10:rvnNETGEAR:rnReadyNAS:rvr:cvnNETGEAR:ct3:cvr:

:thumbsup:
Message 495 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

How does one delete old Snapshots?

Next question:
How does one get rid of old Snapshots that do not present themselves in the Snapshot Timeline?
I'm trying to free up some space, as I am getting these messages:

Volume 'data' usage exceeds 80 % of size (2.7 TB).

via E-Mail and the GUI
I've deleted all the available Snapshots from the GUI but I still have these:
         c_2013_06_21__00_00_13
c_2013_06_22__00_00_42
c_2013_06_23__00_00_08
c_2013_06_24__00_00_35
c_2013_06_25__00_00_02

When I try to delete them from the command line using "rm -rf snapshot" I get stuff like this:
rm: cannot remove `snapshot/c_2013_06_22__00_00_42/Tracey/Tracey_2013_05_11_06_11_34_282D5.TIB': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `snapshot/c_2013_06_22__00_00_42/Tracey/Tracey_2013_05_11_06_11_34_282D181.TIB': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `snapshot/c_2013_06_22__00_00_42/Tracey/Tracey_2013_05_11_06_11_34_282D78.TIB': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `snapshot/c_2013_06_22__00_00_42/Tracey/Tracey_2013_05_11_06_11_34_282D76.TIB': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `snapshot/c_2013_06_22__00_00_42/Tracey/Tracey_2013_05_11_06_11_34_282D91.TIB': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `snapshot/c_2013_06_22__00_00_42/Tracey/Tracey_2013_05_11_06_11_34_282D206.TIB': Read-only file system

I've also tried deleting them from Windows across the network, tried changing permissions (won't let me) and I'm out of ideas. . . Help?

EDIT # 1 - SOLVED on 2013-07-09:

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that this is the LINUX IDIOT talking, so please excuse me if I use improper terminology. . . :oops:
Here's how I did it - Apparently the "FILES" and Directories located at /data/Backups/snapshot/*.* were not files at all. I guess they must have been some sort of symbolic links that were pointing back to /data/._snap-Backups/*.*
Consequently I was able to delete those files and directories just fine. Once I did so, everything that was stuck in /data/Backups/snapshot/*.* magically disappeared.

In case any of you Linux Guru's out there would like to take a minute and explain to me why this worked the way that it did, perhaps I might actually learn something. . . :werd:

EDIT # 2 - Disregard the solution above. Once I toggled the checkbox that is labeled "Allow Snapshot Access" all the files and folders reappeared. Crap, I thought I had it licked! Oh well, BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD. . .
Message 496 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried rebooting?

Did you call your volume "c" (no quotes)?
Message 497 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
Have you tried rebooting?

YES
mdgm wrote:
Did you call your volume "c" (no quotes)?

Me? NO. It would appear as though the ReadyNAS determined that naming convention!?!? Is that weird?
Message 498 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure. It's late here and I need to get some sleep. Did you have daily snapshots configured?
Message 499 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
Not sure. It's late here and I need to get some sleep. Did you have daily snapshots configured?

Yeah me too. I've been working for over 16 hours straight.

I used to. As I recall, I think they were enabled by default. But when my available storage space kept shrinking on a daily basis I turned them (Snapshots) off. I thought they would eventually fall into the proverbial bit bucket over time on their own, but that did not happen. I decided to be proactive and delete them manually. I was only able to delete about 60% of them with the GUI. The Snapshots that remain seem to be permanently stuck in the file system as Read Only. . . :-?
Message 500 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements