× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

Etz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wondering if I upgrade my Ultra2 to OS6 I definately will loose NTGR support...does that mean HW support also?
If HW itself fails or PSU those should be still eglible for replacement do they?
Message 676 of 1,275
tkapin
Aspirant

If someone have web interface issues with 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 OS like freezing, system is offline etc.., try to disable Antivirus on your NAS.
I was same huge problems, so i was move OS down to 6.0.8 whitch works fine, again up to 6.1.2 where OS freeze.
So after few tests with different speeds on LAN ports, still without logic success i was try to disable antivirus .. now everything looks much better.

Additional thing .. Plex,
if you have a manually downloaded Plex from their web, and installed to NAS, OS ask you to update some updated version V2 soon. Update never ends with success. So solution is easy, uninstall your plex and look at Available Apps, there is updated ready to install Plex server, this one works like a charm 😄
Message 677 of 1,275
platini76
Aspirant

but antivirus is default active or disactive?
Message 678 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

platini76 wrote:
but antivirus is default active or disactive?

All of my legacy ReadyNAS devices (I have three) that I have converted to OS 6; the AntiVirus Service has been disabled by default. . .
Message 679 of 1,275
platini76
Aspirant

so it was not my problem, I have freezes also with no antivirus... 😞
Message 680 of 1,275
troy14
Aspirant

Can anyone help me downgrade my Ultra 2 from 6.1.2 back to 4.2? I tried using the instructions from http://netgear.nas-central.org/wiki/OS6_on_Legacy_x86 and it seems everything goes okay until I try to upload the firmware....I am uploading 4.2.24 and it says "File uploaded is not ReadyNASOS" and won't proceed.
Message 681 of 1,275
meche
Aspirant

troy14 wrote:
Can anyone help me downgrade my Ultra 2 from 6.1.2 back to 4.2? I tried using the instructions from http://netgear.nas-central.org/wiki/OS6_on_Legacy_x86 and it seems everything goes okay until I try to upload the firmware....I am uploading 4.2.24 and it says "File uploaded is not ReadyNASOS" and won't proceed.

[EDIT]USB Boot Recovery isn't advisable except as a last resort[/EDIT]

Yes, you can perform a downgrade with this instructions (i have use it 3 days ago when i crash my ready nas ultra 2 on upgrade to os6):

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=166

With this you make a usb bootable !

But careful, when i try this instructions that doesn't work on the usb front panel, but working with the firt rear usb port.

Good luck !
Message 682 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

troy14 wrote:

troy14 I just sent you a PM with an image you can use to downgrade.

meche wrote:

Yes, you can perform a downgrade with this instructions (i have use it 3 days ago when i crash my ready nas ultra 2 on upgrade to os6):

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=166

With this you make a usb bootable !

But careful, when i try this instructions that doesn't work on the usb front panel, but working with the firt rear usb port.

USB Boot Recovery isn't advisable except as a last resort. There is the possibility when doing USB Boot Recovery that you may corrupt the EEPROM data.

Far better to upload a firmware image to downgrade via the Dashboard where it is possible.
Message 683 of 1,275
meche
Aspirant

mdgm -> Thanks for this advise, i change my message
Message 684 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

File system and / or Hard Drive diagnostics in OS6

So, I've been up and running with OS6 on three legacy ReadyNAS devices for a couple of months now. Two are performing in production roles now and one that I'm still tinkering around with. With each new release of OS6, I look for online file system and / or boot-time Hard Drive diagnostics to be built into the GUI similar to those on the RAIDiator 4.2.X releases. Which brings me to two questions:

1.) For anyone on the Jedi Counsel - Are there any plans for online or boot-time file system diagnostics being built into the GUI as there was in the 4.2.X releases?
1a.) Are they even necessary with this new BTRFS (file system)? Or is BTRFS somehow more resilient or robust than EXT3 or 4 or whatever was running on RAIDiator?

2.) If the answer to number 1 above is NO, is there any way to do this from the command line?

Thanks in advance!

Example:
***** File system check forced at Thu Sep 19 01:14:49 EDT 2013 *****
fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
e2fsck 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/c/c: 390821/112455680 files (37.9% non-contiguous), 227478875/1799290880 blocks
Volume scan found no errors. (ReadyNAS-Pro)
Message 685 of 1,275
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: File system and / or Hard Drive diagnostics in OS6

ATCIS wrote:
1.) For anyone on the Jedi Counsel - Are there any plans for online or boot-time file system diagnostics being built into the GUI as there was in the 4.2.X releases?

In the System -> Volumes area, if you click on your volume, you should find a "Scrub" button. This will not only do what it did on R4 (check for RAID parity mismatches), but also validate the data checksums on all of the files on the volume. So you can find out immediately if there is any silent data corruption going on. You currently can't schedule automated scrubs, but this is something that will come in a future release.

ATCIS wrote:
1a.) Are they even necessary with this new BTRFS (file system)? Or is BTRFS somehow more resilient or robust than EXT3 or 4 or whatever was running on RAIDiator?

BTRFS should be more resilient than EXT3/4, due to the nature of Copy-on-Write filesystems. It also checksums metadata, and we have it keeping duplicate metadata copies as well.
Message 686 of 1,275
fream
Aspirant

ATCIS wrote:
So, I've been up and running with OS6 on three legacy ReadyNAS devices for a couple of months now. Two are performing in production roles now and one that I'm still tinkering around with.

As I understand it you are using it on (at least) one 6 Pro. Any issues? What version of OS6 are you running?

I have just bought a ReadyNAS 6 Pro and was thinking of starting fresh on OS6 since it adds features and BTRFS as underlying file system.

I would use the Pro 6 for:
* for file share (mostly Mac)
* ReadyNAS remote app on iOS
* Plex
* DLNA to my TV's
* Time Machine backups
* WebDAV file access

Any input on features, functionality that is missing etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Message 687 of 1,275
noxius
Aspirant

platini76 wrote:
so it was not my problem, I have freezes also with no antivirus... 😞

anyone with a solution... have the same freezes also with antivirus turned off. Have 6.1.2 on my Ultra 4....
Message 688 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

fream wrote:
As I understand it you are using it on (at least) one 6 Pro. Any issues? What version of OS6 are you running?

YES, that is correct. I am running v6.1.2

fream wrote:
I have just bought a ReadyNAS 6 Pro and was thinking of starting fresh on OS6 since it adds features and BTRFS as underlying file system.

Yeah, I have a mixed Mac and Windows environment. I don't allow my Mac's to touch my Windows shares any more as they create such a mess, leaving behind all those .filename.ext and ._filename.ext laying around. It annoys the sh!+ out of me. I can tell you that OS6 has been working well for the Windows machines, so I assume the Mac's wouldn't have a problem either.

fream wrote:

I have not tested the Mobile versions of ReadyNAS Remote. The Windows version works okay.

fream wrote:
* Plex

Works well. . .

fream wrote:
* DLNA to my TV's

Also works well (to / from a Series 2 TiVo unit). . .

fream wrote:
* Time Machine backups
* WebDAV file access

I have not personally tested either one of those. Sorry. . .

fream wrote:
Any input on features, functionality that is missing etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Check your PM's. I have sent you some additional details there (as of 29 September, 2012 @ 15:20 EDT) 🙂

Cheers!
Message 689 of 1,275
platini76
Aspirant

noxius wrote:

anyone with a solution... have the same freezes also with antivirus turned off. Have 6.1.2 on my Ultra 4....

only suggest to downgrade... after my downgrade all problem were solved.
Message 690 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

fream wrote:
* Time Machine backups

I am using 6.1.2 on both MLion and win7. In the beginning the files, those ATCIS is talking about, were VERY annoying (I was constantly deleting them) but after a while, I decided not see them anymore :D.
I am also using Time Machine and since the beginning it's working perfectly (remenber to change the password on your TM settings on your mac).
Message 691 of 1,275
Pommes
Aspirant

Hi,

I also have switched to OS6 yesterday. Works pretty nice so far.

All my data were backuped on a 3TB volume that wasnt installed while upgrade.
After upgrade the installed 2TB volume shows Raid (JBOD). I thought its kind of Raid 0. I turned X-RAID off. I thought now its kind of Raid 0 on a single drive. I backuped all data back from 3TB to the 2TB volume and then installed the 3TB volume.

On webinterface I expanded the volume. All my data are still there but now I have a single volume with ~5TB (JBOD) but i wanted 2 volumes with each 2TB and 3TB.

Can I go back from JBOD somehow and then setup a 2 volume RAID 0?
I don't have another backup possibility. So what do I have to do?

Thank you!
Message 692 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Pommes what you needed to do was to create a new RAID-0 volume using the disk you added not expand the existing volume.

You will need to backup your data, delete the volume, create new volumes and restore your data from backup.
Message 693 of 1,275
Pommes
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Pommes what you needed to do was to create a new RAID-0 volume using the disk you added not expand the existing volume.

You will need to backup your data, delete the volume, create new volumes and restore your data from backup.

Okay, I already thought this is the only way.

I have some questions concerning OS6.
1. Is there a way to set the hard drive to sleep (energy saving)?
2. Is there a way to format an external hard drive / USB-stick?
3. Where are the options for write caching on os6 (for USB-drives)?
4. Do I have to update to newer version manually / is it save to update?
5. What happens if i register my Ultra 2 with OS6?

Thank you
Message 694 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. No, disk spin-down has not been added yet. You can however user a power off/on schedule or WOL
2. You can do this via SSH, but not via the GUI at this time.
3. Not sure if there is.
4. You can do a local update or you can do a remote update (you should be automatically prompted to do a remote update when you open the Dashboard). It is safe to update. Updates usually work fine, though it is advisable to have a backup just in case (you should have this anyway, but even more so since the new OS is unsupported on legacy hardware)
5. If your system had already been registered with the old OS, I think the NetGear system would recognise that it is already registered and not let you register it again. The prompt to register should hopefully go away then.
Message 695 of 1,275
Pommes
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

Currently I am wondering why my harddisc has so much write operations altough I dont do anything wtih the NAS.
Also the graph in frontview (is it still called frontview?) and my ears recognizes it. Every few seconds (~3sec) there are some IO operations.

Is there a way to list drive IO by processes?
Already tried to install iotop but the kernel does not match requirements.

Thank you!
Message 696 of 1,275
Pommes
Aspirant

Okay I probably found now the reason why the hard-drive has so many IO operations the whole time.

root@HomeNas:~/test# find / -mmin -0.01  \! -path '/proc/*'
/sys/kernel/config/target/core/alua/lu_gps/default_lu_gp/members
/sys/kernel/config/target/core/alua/lu_gps/default_lu_gp/lu_gp_id
/sys/kernel/config/target/version
/var/readynasd
/var/readynasd/db.sq3
/var/readynasd/db.sq3-journal

Whenever db.sq3 gets an update, the hard drive is working for ~2sec.
The update happens every 5-10 sec I guess.

My opinion: that happens to often.
Is there anything I can do?
Message 697 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

I wonder how well this bungled code was fixed in the later releases: viewtopic.php?p=401302#p401302
Message 698 of 1,275
DariusSki
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
I wonder how well this bungled code was fixed in the later releases: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=401302#p401302

I can't speak for all OS6 configurations cause I have all that fancy cloud stuff disabled and uninstalled, but in 6.1.2 i am seeing very healthy amount of wakeup activity underlined in that thread, several per second instead of thousand+.
You can easily see it with

vmstat 1

watch "cs" column in light activity system and it is sub hundred when it used to be thousand+.

Overall I am very happy with 6.1.2 on Ultra4 🙂
Message 699 of 1,275
fream
Aspirant

fream wrote:

* Plex
* DLNA to my TV's
* Time Machine backups
* WebDAV file access

So doing a follow-up on my own post. I've received my Pro 6 and now upgraded it to 6.1.2 and it works great!

I've installed 2*1,5TB and 2*2TB and running it as one big volume (shows as RAID 5 with X-RAID). The sync of discs took a long time but during that time I had no problem copying data to it with speeds ranging from 80-100 MB/s (on gigabit network from a Mac Pro using AFP).
I am using RN Remote from the iPhone and it works. Next step might be to try the RN Remote Mac client from my MB Air when not at home.
Time machine also works good from the Air when at home.

Plex works! I did some mistake when trying to upgrade/install the 0.9.8-version from plexapp.com so now I have reverted to 0.9.7 that came with OS6 6.1.2, there is some issues with managing App from the ReadyNAS Web Interface (getting error when trying to start it, getting error when trying to update to a new version that it show is available even though I am using the latest available from NetGear) so I have to start Plex manually using SSH... I cannot figure out how to make it fully working in the ReadyNAS web interface. Not a problem since Plex starts and work and also the web interface for Plex works (port 32400). But it would be nice to be able to have the latest Plex version and that it works correctly in ReadyNAS web interface.

Some issues and comments.

Fan noise
This was an issue for me. The fans was running max all the time. After installing lm-sensors and fancontrol (apt-get) the fan start to behave more normal. Still showing as 5355 rpm in the web interface though... The detailed temperature graph is not working either (it show 0 degree). The overview show temperature for Aux, CPU, Systems and the disk but I don't know if I can trust the numbers. The fan keeps changing rpm all the time which is somewhat annoying but I plan to put the NAS somewhere where it wont matter.

Missing things
I am missing the disk spin down feature that was in OS4 but does not exist in OS6. Hope that comes in a future firmware update.
I also miss that there is no WebDAV support in OS6 so for the time being I guess I will be using RN Remote App from the Mac when not at home.

Future stuff
I plan on testing to activate Jumbo frames to see if I can get better performance. And also to get a better network switch to be able to use network bonding (on both the Pro6 and the Mac Pro) to see if I can get better throughput.
I also plan on maybe setting up iSCSI and move some of my Aperture libraries to the NAS. That requires to buy a iSCSI-driver for OSX though...

So far a very happy upgrade and purchase! Looking forward to any feedback on the above and also new features in the coming releases of OS6!
Message 700 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements