× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

Papagaiou
Aspirant

The error.log of Frontview gave me those:

First I got a warning that RSA server certificate does not match server name (but I had that for a long time without issue)

[Tue Jan 28 19:41:56 2014] [error] [client 192.168.0.124] Connect failed, referer: https://192.168.0.120/admin/
[Tue Jan 28 19:41:56 2014] [error] [client 192.168.0.124] Error connecting to readynasd -2, referer: https://192.168.0.120/admin/
[Tue Jan 28 19:41:56 2014] [error] [client 192.168.0.124] 2901:dbbroker.cgi.c:513 Connection fail., referer: https://192.168.0.120/admin/
[Tue Jan 28 19:41:56 2014] [error] [client 192.168.0.124] Premature end of script headers: dbbroker.cgi, referer: https://192.168.0.120/admin/
then plenty of similar recurring lines
Message 901 of 1,275
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

systemctl status readynasd
Message 902 of 1,275
Papagaiou
Aspirant

This is what is get:

root@nas-maison:~# systemctl status readynasd
readynasd.service - ReadyNAS System Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/readynasd.service; enabled)
Active: activating (start) since Tue, 28 Jan 2014 23:37:16 +0100; 27s ago
Main PID: 5510 (readynasd)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/readynasd.service
└ 5510 /usr/sbin/readynasd -v 3 -t

Jan 28 23:37:16 nas-maison readynasd[5510]: readynasd log started
Jan 28 23:37:16 nas-maison readynasd[5510]: readynasd started. (restarted=0)
Jan 28 23:37:16 nas-maison readynasd[5510]: DB (main) schema version: 14 ==> 14
Jan 28 23:37:16 nas-maison readynasd[5510]: DB (queue) schema version: new ==> 0
Jan 28 23:37:16 nas-maison readynasd[5510]: rndb_queue_create() ==> 3 (2ms)
Jan 28 23:37:16 nas-maison readynasd[5510]: Error create table (event)
Jan 28 23:37:16 nas-maison readynasd[5510]: event dba create failed
root@nas-maison:~#
Message 903 of 1,275
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Try
rm -f /var/readynasd/event.sq3
systemctl restart readynasd
Message 904 of 1,275
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Many thanks Skywalker.

It has worked. Now it is rebuilding the volume...

Cheers
Message 905 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

Hey everyone!

I'm about to upgrade the storage in my old, trustworthy Ultra 4.

In the process I will need to do a complete factory restore. Any reasons *not* to upgrade to OS6 at the same time?

I've read through all the pages in this thread and found two possible disadvantages:
1. Some limitations /bugs in the new file system
2. Some trouble with fan control.

Is the above correct? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance!
Message 906 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.1.1 added fan control for your model, I think.
Message 907 of 1,275
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Xophile wrote:
I'm about to upgrade the storage in my old, trustworthy Ultra 4.

In the process I will need to do a complete factory restore. Any reasons *not* to upgrade to OS6 at the same time?

God, yes. Don't think of OS6 as an "upgrade"; at the moment it's not better than OS4, just different. And even on supported hardware, OS6 is worse in many ways than OS4 on your hardware.

If your NAS's continued trustworthiness is important to you, stick with OS4.
Message 908 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

Oh really, I didn't realize it was that bad with OS6...

So really no benefits then for me?
Message 909 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What things are missing from 4.2.x that you would like?
Message 910 of 1,275
walshlink
Luminary

mgdn,

SMBv2 or v3 would be great is OS4...rumor has it maybe added in the near future.
Message 911 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

Xophile wrote:
Oh really, I didn't realize it was that bad with OS6...
So really no benefits then for me?

I can't say if there will be benefits or drawbacks for you. As mdgm tried to explained, there is no simple answer. You have to see for each one of the features you are currently using and the ones you would need that OS6 provides. It depends on your specific needs. My personal opinion is that the GUI of OS6 is a great improvement, but it comes with some bugs here and there. Another example : if you need instant snapshots then OS6 offers this (and stable since 6.1.6). Personally when I was getting sick of the old GUI when setting access to a new user. Just my personal experience. Use the Virtual Machine to have a look. It's an efficient way (in terms of time) to have a look on OS6 before trying it for few days before you put back all your data on your legacy readyNAS.
Message 912 of 1,275
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Xophile,

If you need AirPrint, then OS 6 is worth the upgrade as it works like a charm. Personnaly I could not get use to the mess of OS4 interface. With OS6, I feel clever lol.
Message 913 of 1,275
wizzard
Aspirant

Can some one pont me to instructions to downgrade to 4.x?

My main storage is a ZFS system so I plan to use this as backup and wan to have a basic working nas as backup.
Message 914 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

wizzard, check your PM inbox. I have sent a link to a firmware image (modified similarly to the one to upgrade to OS6 except of course this image appears to OS6 as if it was an OS6 image whereas the one to upgrade to OS6 appears to 4.2.x as if it is a 4.2.x image) you can use to downgrade direct to 4.2.25.
Message 915 of 1,275
spiderman1
Guide

OS6--Plex app

My Plex app no longer works. I have tried to restart from Frontview without success and tried a firmware re-install. Moreover I am unable to uninstall. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Message 916 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could remove it using SSH using apt-get or dpkg. There is a newer version of the app that is packages much better currently only available to PlexPass members.
Message 917 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

OS6 - Total loss of network connectivity. HELP!

Hey there ReadyNAS Gurus,

So here's the situation: On Saturday some knuckle-head struck a utility pole near our building and knocked out power and Internet for roughly seven (7) hours. After the power came back on I was tasked with the arduous job of bringing the network back online. All went pretty smoothly with the exception of two things. . .

1.) A NETGEAR switch model GS724T died (failed internal power supply)
1a.) Fortunately we had some spares (four spares, three being Gigabit and Jumbo Frame capable, two of which were bad out of the box :-x ). . .
1b.) . . .anyway, the last remaining suitable switch was a NETGEAR GS748T. I got it working and configured and all seemed to be well when I noticed that one of the ports was blinking yellow instead of green, indicating that the port was operating at only 100Mb (vice Gigabit)
1c.) That port happened to one of the NIC's of a ReadyNAS Pro 6 running OS6

2.) This ReadyNAS Pro 6 had network connectivity at this time, but the upper Ethernet Port was running at a slower speed that the other. I double checked the switch configuration to ensure that 1000Mbps was enabled on that port, and it was
2a.) I logged into the Web GUI of the ReadyNAS --> clicked on the Network Tab --> Unbonded and Rebonded the two NIC's --> clicked the apply button and then. . .
2b.) . . .TOTAL LOSS OF NETWORK CONNECTIVITY !!!
2c.) I've tried rebooting the NAS, connecting it to a different switch, single NIC plugged in, etc. an still no sign of life on the network 😞

So, I think I need to do some sort of Linux command line magic, but I have no idea how to go about it.
HELP please!
Message 918 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try an OS Re-install via the boot menu
Message 919 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

Re: OS6 - Total loss of network connectivity. HELP!

mdgm wrote:
Try an OS Re-install via the boot menu

mdgm - Thank you for the reply! In doing that, I assume there would be a negligible chance of any data loss?

One more thing I forgot to mention in my previous post: This particular ReadyNAS Pro has had the Video header mod installed, so if need be I might also have KVM access to the underlying OS even without network connectivity. I thought I'd bring that up if there was a safer method of restoring / reconfiguring from the command line via KVM. . .

I'll wait for your next reply before I jump in an do the OS Re-install. . .
Message 920 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An OS Re-install would reset network settings and leave data intact.

If you have SSH or KVM access, login as the root user (would initially be set to have the same password as the admin password) and check that the OS partition is not full.

# df -h
# df -i

You can initiate an OS Re-install (EDIT: THE BELOW DOES NOT RESET SETTINGS) using this too:

# touch /.os_update
# rn_shutdown -r
Message 921 of 1,275
simonhang
Aspirant

Finally found solution to wake-on-line & fan control problem on my Ultra6.

To enable wake-on-line, frontview option doesn't really work. Even in ethtool shows as "wol g", it just simply doesn't work.
The solution for me is to add a dummy default service which will stop at runlevel 0, 6, . Add command ethtool -s eth0 wol g to the stopping routine and it works just fine even I used frontview interface to shutdown my readynas.

Fan control addon itself is fine on Ultra6. The problem is on the coretemp module. Netgear switch to dts reading mode for CPU temperature which is not stable at all. I switched using reading from it87 board sensors but these are not multipled by 1000 so fan control read as 0 degree all the time.
I just simply modified fancontrol script, when it's it87 board and read from hwmon1 temps, multiple 1000 as the special treat.

So far, both solution works fine for me. Now looking into the UPS support.
Anyone know how the hotplug_event works? I'd like to add some custom steps to that.

Simon
Message 922 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

simonhang wrote:
Finally found solution to wake-on-line & fan control problem on my Ultra6.

Fan control addon itself is fine on Ultra6. The problem is on the coretemp module. Netgear switch to dts reading mode for CPU temperature which is not stable at all. I switched using reading from it87 board sensors but these are not multipled by 1000 so fan control read as 0 degree all the time.
I just simply modified fancontrol script, when it's it87 board and read from hwmon1 temps, multiple 1000 as the special treat.

Simon

I personally have a Pro 6 and everything seems to be working okay, but for the benefit of the rest of the community, would you please post your fancontrol script (or any others for that matter) that have solved your various problems. You never know how your blood, sweat and tears may help others struggling with similar issues. . .

Thanks in advance!
Message 923 of 1,275
simonhang
Aspirant

For the fancontrol script, it was only a conditional test and the multiple the value by 1000. I can post it when I get home.
Problem is I forgot to backup the original fancontrol script, so I cannot do a diff until I get my hands on the original one. Maybe apt-get download can solve my problem.
Message 924 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Ultra 6 has an Atom CPU. The hardware is different to the Pro 6.
Message 925 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements