× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 4 (RNDP4000) Running 6.10.0

thecleartech
Aspirant

OS6 on ReadyNAS Pro 4 (RNDP4000)

Is OS6 supported on legacy ReadyNAS models, specifically the RNDP4000? The NAS in question currently runs RAIDiator 4.2.31 ... but the lack of support for SMB2 (SMB1 appears to be the only SMB protocol present, hence Windows 10 clients are unable to connect to it) make the NAS useless in our environment.

Thank you.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 16
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: OS6 on ReadyNAS Pro 4 (RNDP4000)

it is possible to install readynas os 6 on to legacy x86 readynas devices, however it requires a factory default (ie you must backup any data and restore it after).

it is not officially supported by netgear, but they seem to (so far) have been keeping the older hardware working on the ongoing os6 releases.

that is not to say they couldn't drop support at any time, but as of currently the latest os6 releases do work with the legacy devices once they are converted.

I don't know where the current procedures to convert from 4.x to 6.x are anymore, so maybe someone else can either link or re-post them for you.

But basically it involved factory defaulting 4.x device, then using a (older) modfied os6 file, that will overwrite the 4.x firmware on the internal flash, which is then used to a new clean o6 install.

Once the device has been converted to os6, then you can simply upgrade via the UI or normal os6 firmware update procedures.

I have 3 legacy readynas which were all converted to os6 years ago, and have been working and upgraded continously since then.

Message 2 of 16
thecleartech
Aspirant

Thanks - if you're able to dig up the checklist you'd used to effect that upgrade to OS6, that'd be much appreciated!

Message 3 of 16
TeknoJnky
Hero

well more important than the checklist, would be a copy of the modified firmware file(s) that will allow upgrade/conversion to os6.

I don't know if I have those around any more, but I'll look.

Hopefully someone else can help as well.

in the mean time, you may want to review the links @ https://www.google.com/search?&q=readynas+os4+to+os6

Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Message 5 of 16
thecleartech
Aspirant

<deleted, wrong thread>

Message 6 of 16
jjcf89_2
Tutor

I just followed the instructions posted here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING...

to upgrade my ReadyNAS Ultra 6.  So far no issues.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6310|ReadyNAS Ultra 6
Message 7 of 16
Edw_CPA
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro 4 (RNDP4000) Running 6.10.0

My RNDP4000 was running 6.9.5 and automatically received both the 6.9.5 Hotfix1 and today the machine updated to 6.10.0.   As luck would have it I had just ordered a 2G memory chip for it which arrived today as well.  For some reason after installing the memory upgrade drive 1 degraded but after a few hours everything resynched.  I'm not sure what is "new and improved" with 6.10.0 but the machine has been up and running just fine.  I have the PHPSystemInformation app installed and was surprised that the system is reporting 94% memory usage with the 2G memory upgrade.  I had the 1G chip installed when it upgraded to 6.10.0 and it reported to be using the same amount of memory.  Maybe the system just uses as much as you give it.

Just thought I would report that 6.10.0 didn't blow it up.

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 4 (RNDP4000) Running 6.10.0

@Edw_CPA wrote:

Maybe the system just uses as much as you give it.

Generally that is the case.  "Surplus" memory will be allocated for caching the RAID arrays.

Where you get into trouble is when the memory used by the readynas software itself and apps (including file indexing and antivirus) exceeds the physical memory.  There isn't a big swap area, and the swapping will kill the performance. 

Message 9 of 16
Edw_CPA
Aspirant

As a general rule do folks turn on the indexing and antivirus features?  We have a couple of users and 200GB (4% usage) of files,  All the machines have antivirus turned on and we don't use any of the apps that would bring files onto the NAS.  I'm wondering if I shouldn't turn off the antivirus and indexing.  Thus far we have no performance issues.

Thanks for any feedback.

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Edw_CPA wrote:

All the machines have antivirus turned on and we don't use any of the apps that would bring files onto the NAS.

I'd turn it off then (and it is off on my ReadyNAS).

@Edw_CPA wrote:

As a general rule do folks turn on the indexing ...

Indexing allows you to do file search from the admin web ui.  Personally I turn that on, but you could turn it on later if when you find a need for it.  The main consequence is that you'd have to wait for the indexing to finish before you could search.

Message 11 of 16
jjcf89_2
Tutor

So far the antivirus feature has been a huge mess.  It regularly flags files which no other antivirus flags, tested via virustotal.com.  It also uses up 100% of cpu usage most of the time.  Regardless I have left it on for now and put up with reporting the false positives to clamav.

Message 12 of 16
BrendanSimon2
Aspirant

Just a quick question.  Do the RAID disks (I have 6 installed) get erased?  Is any data lost from those disks?

I'm assuming the upgrade is just the firmware on board the CPU board, and the storage disks are left untouched.  Is that correct?

Thanks, Brendan.

Model: RNDP4000 (ReadyNAS Pro 4)|ReadyNAS® Pro 4 System Diskless|EOL
Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@BrendanSimon2 wrote:

Just a quick question.  Do the RAID disks (I have 6 installed) get erased?  Is any data lost from those disks?

I'm assuming the upgrade is just the firmware on board the CPU board, and the storage disks are left untouched.  Is that correct?

If you are asking about 4.2.x to 6.x conversion, then your assumption is NOT correct.  All data on the disks is lost (OS 6 uses a different file system).

Also, the firmware for all ReadyNAS is not just saved in the flash on the system board.  That firmware is installed on the disks (and the NAS boots from the disks).  The installation package on the system board is for OS reinstalls and factory defaults - and is not used in normal operation.

Message 14 of 16
BrendanSimon2
Aspirant

Ok.  That's good to know.  Guess I should look at backing up what I have somehow.  I have 6 x 3TB disks.  I only really use it for Time Machine backup and the sytem has 8TB allocated for that (which I assume is all used).

What would be the easiset/cheapest way to back up my disks, so I can upgrade to OS 6.  Is an external USB drive the simplest?  Is there anything special required (e.g. a NAS class drive).

Are there any cheapish single (or perhaps dual) NAS devices suitable for a backup (e.g. using the second ethernet port on RNDP40000)?

I assume either a USB or NAS is a good option for permanent backup for the RNDP4000.  It's an old unit now so don't want to spend too much, otherwise it be worth investing in a new NAS and maybe using the old RNDP4000 as a secondary/backup.

Thanks, Brendan.

Message 15 of 16
jjcf89_2
Tutor

The rndp4000 is a 4 drive nas. Are you sure you have it. You mentioned having 6 disks.

Your cheapest option would be to borrow storage from somebody while you do the upgrade. Or an 8TB external usb drive is around $140 right now.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements