× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Out of free space

Grimjack
Aspirant

Out of free space

During the last months our backup NAS seems to rapidly have stored a large amount of data....which I can´t really locate or figure out what it is.

The two systems which are backed up doesn´t even near have the amount of data reported from the backup-NAS and accessing the the different NAS, in my case through Total Commander, and comparing the filelist I can´t find out what have eaten up all space, where to find it and how to delete and free up the space again.

The two backed up systemes contains a total of 2,3 Tb but the backup NAS now reports nearly twice as much and reaching it´s limit.

Snapshot:s are turned of.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Out of free space

Hi @Grimjack, I do not know what kind of backup you are conducting (differential, incremental, ...), but if you do some kind of versioning and keep older instances of files for reference purposes something like you observe could happen.

Imagine a file of size 100MB is changed every day. By keeping its older versions you end up with 1GB in the backup after 10 days suppose you would conduct a daily backup.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Out of free space

@Grimjack wrote:

The two backed up systemes contains a total of 2,3 Tb but the backup NAS now reports nearly twice as much and reaching it´s limit.

Snapshots are turned off.

What firmware are you running on the backup NAS?

What backup process are you using?

Were snapshots ever turned on?  If they might have been, then I'd start with browsing for them.

You could also try running a balance from the maintenance menu.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements