× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Password protecting a single folder only

connor25
Tutor

Password protecting a single folder only

I have 10 users on a NAS312 and nothing is currently password protected as closed network (no wifi).

Anyhow they wish to now password protect one folder for access by 2 people only, I don't really want to start setting everyone up with user/pass due to constant staff and temp changes.

Is there a way via the NAS or via Windows I can password one folder for use by 2 people perhaps with same password?  

Easiest way if possible 🙂

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@connor25 wrote:

...I see no way of doing this without setting everyone else up user ID's and rights etc which isn't the way I wish to go.

I already outlined one method.

Create one new user account (call it "protected"), and set up the three staff member's PCs to use the "protected" account and password when they access the NAS.  You do that with windows credential manager.

The system will created a user folder called "protected" which would only be visible to the staff members using that credential, and which would only be accessible by them. All staff members continue to have access to your existing shares.

Is there something about that approach that won't work for you?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

A simple way is to create one new account on the NAS, and use the home folder for that account for the protected data.

The two users can store the credential for that account on their own PCs,  If they access the folder from a shared PC they would need to be careful not to let Windows save the password.

Message 2 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello connor25,

If you are referring to shares of the NAS, see How do I change default access rights to files and folders on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system? article. See this article for sub folder permission settings.

Regards,

Message 3 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello connor25,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
connor25
Tutor

Hi Thanks, I just could not get this to work at all.  

I currently have no users or passwords, the network is closed (no wifi) so all the staff just use whatever they wish, however they now want just one folder passworded so only 3 members of staff can access this folder, I see no way of doing this without setting everyone else up user ID's and rights etc which isn't the way I wish to go.

Is there any other way I can do this through windows 7 maybe?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@connor25 wrote:

...I see no way of doing this without setting everyone else up user ID's and rights etc which isn't the way I wish to go.

I already outlined one method.

Create one new user account (call it "protected"), and set up the three staff member's PCs to use the "protected" account and password when they access the NAS.  You do that with windows credential manager.

The system will created a user folder called "protected" which would only be visible to the staff members using that credential, and which would only be accessible by them. All staff members continue to have access to your existing shares.

Is there something about that approach that won't work for you?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements